Sarcastically Cheery Songs for the Apocalypse

• “Beautiful World” by DEVO.

We’ve only just begun… to live.
White lace and promises.
A kiss for luck and we’re on our way…

Sonic Youth had it right. They used to walk onstage with this blasting out of a jambox.

How about “I Can See Clearly Now, the Rain Is Gone” sung in the middle of a drought?

“It’s A Mistake” by Men At Work. One of my suggestions from the other thread, but it’s actually about nuclear war. I just like the thought of a Men At Work song playing when the world ends. It seems appropriate.

but for irony and incongruency’s sake:

“Happy Happy, Joy Joy” from Ren & Stempy. Come on, you know it works.

“A Spoonful Of Sugar” sung by Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins. We’ll all be taking our medicine then.

“This Little Light Of Mine, I’m Gonna Let It Shine”. Probably a little too obvious.

“Spirit In the Sky” by Norman Greenbaum. Ditto.

“Joy To The World” by Three Dog Night. If Joy=Death, I suppose.

“We Are The World” by USA For Africa.

I better stop, this is getting too easy…

There is this really great Jazz Standard song that I believe Frank Sinatra sang, it’s called The Best is yet to Come :smiley:

The song at the ending of Resevoir Dogs. Don’t know the title but I would assume it’s something to the nature of “Put the Lime in the Coconut.” The Sanford and Son theme is also pretty good…

“Don’t Worry, Be Happy.”

Love the suggestions! Makes me wish Napster was around (or its for-pay equivalent) so I could put together the Ultimate End-of-the-World CD.

Anyway, I would suggest “Happy Trails.” You can’t go out better than with Roy and Dale singing

Happy trails to you Until we meeet aaaaagaaaaaain

“When you walk through the storm, hold your head up high…”

Whenever I think of this song (You’ll Never Walk Alone") I think of Eddie the shipboard computer singing it as the Heart of Gold is about to be destroyed in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy…

“What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong

I can think of two movies involving apocalypse that end with this song.

I second the following:

“Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”
“Political Science”
“What a Wonderful World”
“Bad Moon Rising”

I’d like to add the finale of the “1812 Overture”, Petula Clark’s “A Sign of the Times”, and Vera Lynn’s “We’ll Meet Again”.

The last one is obvious, really.