Sarcastically Cheery Songs for the Apocalypse

Pardon me for posting, but…Inspired by the happiest sounding songs with the saddest lyrics thread, and in no small part by the ending of “Dr. Strangelove,” I wanted to ask…what normally cheery song/s would YOU play during the end of the world, or any similar event of mass carnage, just to appreciate the irony? I once read an article by a video-game columnist who mentioned that he liked playing Sinatra’s “My Way” while waging wars of global conquest in “Civilization.” My personal picks tight now would be Peter Gabriel’s “When You’re falling” or Ray Charles’ “I Can’t Stop Loving You” (Well, that last choice isn’t very original, if you know the reference. :wink: )

Any other suggestions?
Ranchoth

“Shiny Happy People” - REM

“Shiny”, of course, referring to the healthy radioactive glow of the “Happy People”.

“It’s the end of the world as we know it”.
And the faster version of “Blue Moon” at the end of American Werwolf in London.

“Death is not the End” - Nick Cave… happy and bouncy! :wink:

“Ballad of Marie Curie” - Army of Lovers… has references to glowing in the dark and being radioactive…

“Maybe” by the Inkspots.

:slight_smile:

“We Will All Go Together When We Go” by Tom Lehrer

B52s ‘Love Shack’

“The whole shack shimmied!
Everyone moving around and around!”

I know the reference, & thought of it right off, when I first saw the thread title.

You have good taste in anime.

Seen it in the theatre, yet? It’s worth it to see the Ziggurat collapse on the big screen.

“Christmas at Ground Zero” by Weird Al

“Party at Ground Zero” by Fishbone. Sure, it’s more of a Cold War song, but it’s one of my favorites:)

Second that.

The Future’s so Bright I Gotta Wear Shades by Timbuk 3

“Always Look on the Bright Side of Life”, by Eric Idle of Monty Python

Meeting the criteria of happiest sounding, saddest lyrics, I nominate:

“Bad Moon Rising” by Credence Clearwater Revival

“Til’ the Morning Comes” by Neil Young

I was just discussing this with a friend who’s very into goth/darkwave/synthpop/industrial/etc. - she just realized that a lot of the music that she found so cheery, most people find quite dark. :slight_smile:

That being said, I’d have to second:

"It’s the End of the World as We Know It (and I Feel Fine)" (R.E.M.)

as well as,

"The Future’s So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades" (Timbuk 3)
…and add some of my own…

"99 Luftballons" (Nena) - I’ve recently read the literal translation of the lyrics in a quest to settle a disagreement w/ the abovementioned friend. (She swore the chick had suicided in the '80’s - she’d heard that from many people. I disagreed, looked it up last night, found the woman’s alive, & called to gloat. My friend was out on a date, so really, who am I to gloat, but that’s neither her nor there, is it?)

Anyway, I’ve always liked the sound of the original version more than the English lang. one despite my lack of translation skill; I got the gist & that was enough for me.

"Time Bomb" (Rancid) - Doesn’t have to do with nuclear destruction, but it’s a peppy song with depressing lyrics, as is…

"Date Rape" (Sublime) - I mean, she gets the asshole in the end, but even that’s depressing.

And who could forget…

"Don’t Worry, Be Happy" (Bobby McFerrin)? There’s a sarcastic little nugget.

If I get the drift of your original post, you’re looking not for songs ABOUT destruction and apocolypse, but disgustingly happy and cheerful tunes which would be so incongruent with these circumstances as to come full circle to be the ONLY thing that would truly capture the awsome moment. Right?

Well, I’ve always thought “The Happy Wanderer” would be perfect for such an occasion.

It’s a disgustingly, idiotically, imbecilicly cheerful song, espescially when sung by a choir of children, which it always is.

Just the lyrics

More to the point

I particularly reccommend the MIDIs on that second one, esp the “revolting, yet putrid” version.

Randy Newman, “Political Science”. “Boom goes London, Boom Paris, more room for you and more room for me…”

Tiny Tim, “The Icecaps are Melting”. “The icecaps are melting, ho, ho, ho, ho, all the world is drowning to wash away the sins…”

Another vote for Tom Lehrer’s We Will All Go Together When We Go, which he deliberately wrote as an upbeat end-of-the-world song, in the style of the Revivalist hymns (“This might more aptly be called a SURvivalist hymn,” he noted).

It’s a pretty bouncy and catchy song.

“…When the air becomes Uranious
We will all go simultaneous…”

I think “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” by BJ Thomas would be a pretty inane yet appropriate song to enjoy Armageddon with. Take a look at some of the lyrics:

[ul][li]Talks to the sun about not getting the job done. Obvious reference to nuclear winter.[/li]
[li]Raindrops keep falling on his head. The unending rain from too much pollution, a la Bladrunner.[/li]
Eyes soon turning red. Too much smoke from all the destruction.[/ul]Yeah, that’d be my song. Nothin’s worrying me…

Road to Nowhere by Talking Heads