Saturday Night Live News

I just saw an old SNL episode and the news update with Jane Curtain and Dan Ackroyd. They interviewed Barbara Wawa (Gilda) about national security in the Middle East during the end of the Oil Crisis: “Yes, Dan, we’re double-locking our doors…”
Does anybody out there enjoy the old SNL news bits when they see them (Comedy Central runs them) the way I do. I was young but I enjoy the nostalgia when I see them now. I mean SLN’s news’ take of the events of ~20 years ago.

Yes I liked every single skit Gilda did, and the Baba Wawa ones were sometimes the best.

I remember the first time I saw John Belushi do his samarai cook sketch, I was laughing so hard that I practically peed my pants. Eddie Murphy’s “Mr. Robinson’s Neighborhood” was pretty funny too.

Shadowfox
“Most people would succeed in small things, if they were not troubled with
great ambitions.”

• Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882)

I need my Roseanne Rosannadanna fix! That was the best. :wink:

“The world is not five hours old and evil has already entered it” - Aslan
The Magician’s Nephew

How about Garrett Morris doing “News for the Hard-of-hearing?”

Chevy Chase’s phone calls at the begining of weekend update still crack me up.

Peace
t lion

“The U.S.Post Office is coming out with a stamp honoring the worlds oldest profession, Prostitution! The stamp will sell for ten cents, 15 cents if you want to lick it!”

SNL was Chevy Chase at his best!

I loved Emily Latella (sp??) She was absoultly the greatest person…Oh well Never mind,

This just in - Generallissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.

I haven’t watched in a while. Do they still call it “Weekend Update”? In honor of the finiest TV newsmagazine show ever – Lloyd Dobyn’s “Weekend”?

They do. And it’s now hosted by Colin Quinn, who is a real disappointment as an anchor. He is not very good at recovering from jokes that fall flat. I never thought I’d see a “Weekend Update” anchor that made me miss the biting, incisive wit of Kevin Nealon.

For my money, though, the best of all “W.U.” anchors was the amazing Dennis Miller.

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

I liked Brian Doyle-Murray as WU anchor. He looked like a real news anchor.

If I can stay awake long enough, the only part of SNL I pay attention to is WU. (Like, somebody in the opening sketch yelling “Live from New York, it’s Saturday Night!” is a funny surprise after 25-@!#?@!-years?)

Suggestion for NBC: collect all the WU’s for a month, then compile them into an hour-long show and broadcast it at the end of the month during prime time.