Saving the world (or a part of it): your hero fantasy

Ok, I know guys have these. Do women? I’ve never met a woman who admitted to one, but I’m sure there must be some.

Here’s mine: I’m flying someplace on, say, a small commercial turboprop commuter aircraft. For some reason the pilot/copilot become incapacitated and can no longer fly the plane. There are no pilots among the passengers. Maybe, to make it more impressive, it’s strictly IFR conditions. So I then take control of the airplane and successfully land it. Although I’m not a pilot I’ve flown small single-engine aircraft before and pretty much know how navigation and ILS systems work - I bet I could actually do it even, perhaps with some help over the radio. And I use that (albeit small, but better than nothing) flying experience to save the day. Whee!

Anybody else?

peas on earth

Woman here. I can honestly say I’ve never had a hero fantasy… unless you count food cravings during pregnancy.

Veni, Vidi, Visa … I came, I saw, I bought.

I’m not so sure all MEN have this fantasy.

“When Armageddon comes, I plan to pour myself a double and watch the whole thing from the back porch…hi-dee-ho.”

Thanx and a tip of the hat to Robert Armstrong for that lovely image!

Uke

I am female and I admit I have hero fantasies. Many, many of them in fact. I have one where I somehow get myself into a position as a diplomat and my wisdom and understanding bring peace in someplace like the middle east or Bosnia. This is so wildly unlikely I don’t even know why I bother fantasizing about it, and it feels somewhat embarassing to admit. I also have slightly less improbable fantasies in which I prevent someone from being hurt or take a firm moral stand at great personal cost.

I am glad to know I’m not the only one who spends time dreaming of being a hero.

“Eppur, si muove!” - Galileo Galilei

My fantasy is to move back to New York and cast the one vote needed that kicks the facist Guiliani out of office!

Well, that will save NEW YORK at any rate…

Yer pal,
Satan

What the hell is a “broken pipe”? I tried to post just now and got that message. Anyway, here it is; hope it goes through.
I’m a woman, and my fantasy is to be the government sniper who brings down a notorious, despised criminal. This is seen on live TV, and shown over and over, but of course, no one ever knows that I was the shooter, except for the incredibly handsome and intelligent White House aide who recruited me.

Remember, I’m pulling for you; we’re all in this together.
—Red Green

I’m a woman, and nearly all my fantasies are hero fantasies. I have them all, from military hero (much like G.I Jane, but I was dreaming about it long before the movie came out), spy, sniper, bomb squad (Speed), Mission: Impossible, The Saint, fighter pilot…you name it. I basically want to be a female James Bond, who can do it all.

I also have villain fantasies. I want to be a bank robber (The Real McCoy), jewel theif, art thief, 18th century pirate (like in Cutthroat Island).

I’m heavily influenced by movies. If I watch a movie, I put myself into the plot. It was an interesting couple weeks after I saw Striptease…

Zu

I’m a woman and I have fantasies about running to pull people out of burning cars or trains without thinking of the danger. I’ve also fantasized about taking a moral stand even at the risk of death, and having the guts to be a martyr if it was the only moral way.

I sometimes wonder if these fantasies mmight be a good “rehearsal” if something like that ever really happens (more the saving people thing than the martyr thing, though you never know …) . I mean, they tell athletes to visualize things they want to do. Maybe people who visualize themselves being brave are better equipped to be brave if the time comes that it’s needed.

Catrandom

I love movies that feature women who can really kick ass! I like to imagine that I am some sort of martial arts expert, or something along those lines, and I can go around beating up the bad guys.

“Love given when it is inconvenient is the greatest love of all. Kindnesses that are shared at a high cost to oneself are the most dear.”

Don’t know who said it, but I like it.

I constantly imagine myself rescuing some random person on the street from some random thug.

Of course, even my hero fantasies are realistic, and I always end up getting the crap beat out of me. But the person whose rescue I came to got away in the meantime. :o

And I also have ‘villain fantasies’ as Zulu put it. I imagine myself as a world famous bank robber, or art thief. It just seems such a romantic profession. :slight_smile:

‘They couldn’t hit an Elephant from this dist…!’

Last words of General John Sedgwick

I’m a guy so I’m not quite pertinent. So I’ll make it short. I’ve had many hero fantasies, but my uniquest is that I’m on the D.C. subway, and some toddler decides to take a walk on the tracks. Then the “train is coming” lights start flashing and toddler’s mother realizes her young’n is missing. By then I have lept down into the path of the train, grabbed the toddler, and returned her/him to the platform. Sometimes I survive by leaping back to the toddler, sometimes by lying under the overhang of the train and plugging my ears.

Oh, the “share your hero fantasy” part was supposed to be open to anybody, not just women.

I’ve had the infant & train one once or twice too, but not as often as the landing-the-plane one.

Never had a “villian fantasy”, but I’ll hafta try. Maybe a good, well executed theft of some unique work of art or priceless historical artifact that’s under heavy guard.

peas on earth

Ah. Networking stuff. This I know.

There are two file descriptors associated with a pipe (or socket, if it’s networked). If you attempt to write() to one end after the reader has closed its FD, or some networking error has aborted the connection, then errno is set to EPIPE and strerror() returns the broken pipe message.

Usually before that point you get a signal and have a chance to do something graceful instead of continuing to write to your FD, but if you don’t trap the signal and keep writing anyway, then you get EPIPE. It might pop up in some other similar situations too.

Facinating, eh? Ok, maybe not.

peas on earth

I often have hero fantasies, and they tend to break down into two areas:

• someone keels over of a heart attack/is injured in a car accident and I am the only one with first aid training and the cool head necessary to save the victim’s life.

• someone pulls a Littleton where I work or someplace where I am, and I have enough sense to sneak up behind the guy and drop a monitor on his head or something.

But then I also have fantasies of winning the lottery (no chance of me inheiriting any money, after all) and then doing heroic, wonderful, charitable things with the money.

“I think he said ‘Blessed are the cheesemakers.’”

<p align=center>My Heroic Fantasy?

Terrorists are going to detonate a tac nuke on London!
I fight my way up 4 flights of stairs,
disarm the bomb,
and get knighted
by Her Majesty, The Queen.
Buy the rights to
publish my biography
NOW!</p>

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly