Saw a weird Scooby Doo episode this morning

Was surfing the boob tube and stopped on Boomerang. There was an episode of Scooby Doo on. One of the new versions, not a vintage 1960’s episode.

Anyway, Scoob and the gang end up being rescued by none other than Magilla Gorilla. And the bad guy in the monster costume turns out to be Mr. Peebles, owner of the pet store Magilla was in.

And the cops take Peebles away to jail.

I was like, far out. When I watched Magilla Gorilla on Cartoon Carnival as a kid Mr. Peebles was a good guy. Just annoyed with his pet ape. These toons now days must be made by and for stoners.

That’s all.

That’s quite inventive. They could do more of this. How about they get chased by someone in the Scream getup, and the reveal shows it to be the producer - Harvey Weinstein.

Writing credits go to Caroline Farah. She seems just ecstatic that celebs are reading lines she wrote. Wanda Sykes in the episode you watched, Cher and Carol Burnett more recently.

~Max

Yeah, that particular series was a modern riff on the New Scooby Doo Movies of yore, which had the gang team up with, like, Abbott and Costello, the Addams Family, Batman and Robin, Sandy Duncan, etc.

Except, of course, with more modern celebs (the OP example notwithstanding): Alton Brown, Malcolm McDowell, Macklemore…

Really, the Scooby gang are gonna go up against this guy?

No no no, the guest stars aren’t villains… except for Malcolm McDowell.

~Max

Weren’t Sonny and Cher in the original series too? They did show up in something Hanna Barbera…

The Scooby Doo was on my first trip to Hong Kong in 1983. Scooby spoke Cantonese in a dog accent. I just about died laughing.

They sure were. Well, they were in “The New Scooby-Doo Movies.” Whether that counts as “the original series” is a question too geeky even for me.

Yeah, but they weren’t taken away by the police in the end.