Say something that is true to a person in 1985 that will make you sound like a crazy person

Romper Room Doo Bee predates pot Doobie.

Donald Trump was President of the United States. He gained power by insulting women and handicapped heroes, the Secret Service, veterans and any dissenters. He said many Mexicans were criminals, and won election with illegal help from Russia, asking them directly and publicly to do this. After losing a re-election bid, he suggested mobs storm the Capitol Building and harm the Vice President. He insulted many world leaders and had a secret meeting with the Russian President in full view of the world.

He remained popular with Republicans throughout his Presidency and two years later is still probably the most popular Republican candidate. His success was due to his manner of speaking. He repeated himself a lot, used simple words, and talked to the nation the way a soldier talks to his dying buddy on the battlefield. Is there going to be good health care?. “Yeah buddy, it’ll be the greatest! The best! The best ever! You’re going to be so pleased! I’m being presidential. You’re gonna make it!”.

Talking about NFT’s make you sound crazy today.

They’d think you were crazy for saying that “medical science has cured almost nothing”, if someone from 2022 had previously told them that new drugs were available to cure hepatitis C, a number of blood cancers including leukemias and Hodgkin’s disease were now considered routinely curable, strokes were commonly averted using clot-busting therapy, complete face transplants were successful, stem cell treatment and a bionic eye restored sight to the blind, gene therapy had cured sickle cell disease, and on and on…

You are correct.

/Ignorance fought

GPS was already a thing by 1985. Reagan had authorized its use in commercial airliners in 1983 (cite) and there was already a “handheld” GPS personal navigation unit available as early as 1989. I bought my own handheld Garmin unit as early as…oh…1993.

The nice software integrating web-based map data, and small, affordable touch screens, wasn’t of course a thing for a bit longer, of course.

“Like an Apple Newton, but everybody will have one.” Might get you labeled as crazy in 1995, but in 1985 nobody would know what you were talking about.

“I want a device like if a TRS-80 Model 100 and a Canon AE-1 had a baby that could also play almost any music, movie, or TV show at any time and anywhere.”

Except they don’t have control of the Senate. One needs 60 votes in the Senate and the dems only control ~48 give or take, plus the VP when the pseudo-dems vote with the party.

By the 1990s, Compact discs were a revoltuin and digital music pretty much killed records and tapes. In 2021, LP record albums outsold CDs. And cassette tapes are making a comeback.

We have Youtube, which allows anyone to make video content on the internet and share it with the world for next to nothing. One of the more popular uses is for young people to listen and ‘react’ to rock music of the 60’s, 70’s, and 80’s.

The top most valuable pop music artist catalogs in 2022 are by The Beatles, Michael Jackson, Bob Dylan and Paul Simon.

You may mot believe it Mr. 1985, but you are living in the golden age of pop music.

I understand that Margaret Atwood based most of the things in the book on true events. It’s just that they didn’t all happen in the same location.

Everything on one page of a Radio Shack catalog will be in a single pocket sized device.

re: Radar detector. There’s an app for that.

Would a new machine that combined the technology of an X-ray machine with the form factor of a metal detector, two things that had been mandatory in airports for at least a decade by 1985, really be so shocking as to make someone sound crazy?

Prince and Michael Jackson died young.

I don’t understand. What’s the difference between a life-saving treatment vs. a cure?

Indeed, The Handmaid’s Tale was published in 1985.

If I’m understanding you correctly, you had a handheld GPS with no map? I understand (and remember) how long it took for these devices to be able to give useful driving instructions, but at the most elementary level, a GPS should tell you your location. How did it do that without an integrated map? Did it tell you only your latitude and longitude? Doesn’t sound too useful to me.

The 21st century makes the Jetsons look like the Flintstones.

Except there’s still no flying cars. We can do all this stuff, still can’t make a small car fly. Like how the professor could take 2 coconuts and some bamboo and build a nuclear reactor but couldn’t fix a hole in a boat to save his life. I want my flying car, goddamnit! They promised me in the 60’s I’d have one by 2000. That was two decades ago. Where is my flying car?

• The USSR will break apart, but Russia will continue to wage the Cold War after 20 years of Americans spiking the ball at the 10 yard line.
  • A president will have been impeached twice in a single term and is the prohibitive favorite to win a third nomination of his party.
  • Bill Cosby will be incarcerated for pushing more than his pudding pops.
  • Baseball will adopt the universal DH and for the time being is adopting extra inning ghost runners.
  • Tattoos become fashionable and practically mandatory for NBA players.
  • The Toronto Blue Jays will win two more World Series than the Maple Leafs will win Stanley Cups.
  • The Big Ten will expand to 16 teams and go from coast to coast.
  • The records held by Cobb, Aaron, Maris, and Gehrig will be broken but only the guy who broke Gehrig’s will ever be inducted in the Hall of Fame.
  • Shopping malls will be endangered as online shopping takes over the retail industry.
  • The longest running show (other than 60 Minutes) will be a cartoon.
  • In many ways, the most entertaining thing on television will be reruns of Andy Griffith.
  • Office working males will still have to tie a cloth noose around their necks every day in order to be presentable.

You will watch your football games and TV shows on 85" flat screen TV’s mounted on your wall, and they will show commercials for pubic hair products.