Saying goodbye to a dog

Tonight, my parents are going to take Tamara up to the vet’s office for the last time, and put her to sleep. If I were on the right side of the country I’d be there, but I’m not. We adopted her, as a two-month-old puppy, when I was seven years old.

She’s fourteen years old. In the past month she’s dropped from forty pounds to twenty-seven. She got an infection over Thanksgiving and didn’t recover. Her liver has stopped working entirely. The vet thinks it’s cirrhosis or cancer. He could do tests to find out, but even if he knew, there’s really nothing you can do for a fourteen-year-old dog. They could try to keep her going at the vets office on IV drugs for even a few days longer, but that would be selfish and pointless.

It’s not a surprise. She’s old and has been for several years now. She’s got arthritis. She gets confused and lost even within my parent’s house. She’s going deaf. None of this is a surprise: for a medium-sized dog, fourteen is extremely old. There’s really nothing much we can do at this point to keep her comfortable, which means the only ethical thing to do is put her to sleep.

Even though it’s not a surprise, it’s still not fair. Dogs live long enough to truly be your friend, long enough for you to grow up together, and then they slip away long before you’re ready.

She loved and was loved, and had a wonderful run with us.

I’m sorry. :frowning:

It always sucks to lose a good friend. Remember her well.

Well, shit. :frowning:

Awww I am so sorry. :frowning: I can hear the anguish on your post.

Just know that she had a long life with people that loved her very much. That is all a dog really needs and in return you get their lifetime of loyalty.

Goodnight, Tamara.

My condolences, NinjaChick and Family.

I’m so sorry. I just had to do that on Friday with my 21 year old cat. She broke her leg, and as soon as the doctor saw it, she reached for the tissues and put them next to me. I figured when I brought her in that I wouldn’t be bringing her home, but it was still really difficult. My condolences to you and your family.

:frowning: Recently been there, done that. Sucks. I’m sorry for your loss.

Ninjachick,
This ehug is for you.

I was just bragging on my old Clancy in the “Do you talk to your dogs?” thread, and noticed that after a little more than a year I can finally do that, smile, and not have tears in my eyes. Eventually the pain will dull, and you’ll still have your happy memories.

Goodbye to a good dog. It’s never, ever fair.

You loved her well and for a long time.

Hugs to you.

I am sorry to hear your news. It is a sadness that no words of mine will make any easier. None the less, sending supporting thoughts your way.

My sincere condolences to you. Losing a friend like that is hard, losing a friend you had for so long can be horribly sad. My buddy Khasi, a shepherd mix, had to be put to sleep 6 years ago, after 23 years on the planet. I didn’t cry as hard when my mother died.

I still miss him.

Anyway, blessings on you, and don’t forget to take the time to remember the joy that was her life.

I was there when my dog died in my arms when he collapsed during our daily walk.

Its been two years and I still think about him every day.

At least you know you are providing relief, instead of having your friend abruptly snatched from you.

Thank you all for your thoughts.

As I said it’s not a surprise - when she got sick over Thanksgiving we all pretty much knew it was just a matter of time. My parents will be taking her to the vet in about half an hour. I asked them not to call me from the vet or after. If I were home I’d go with them, but since I’m not, I’ve already said my final goodbye, and I don’t want to be crying at work tonight.

It’s snowing pretty heavily here in my slice of the country, and Tamara always loved snow. I’ve yet to decide if that’s helping or making things worse.

Ohh Tamara I scritch you gently behind the ears and whisper, “good girl, baby, good girl. Why doncha go play with me dear sweet Maddie…”

I had to take my dog for that final ride to the Vet a couple of months ago. In the thread I posted about it, TPWombat posted a comment that I think also fits here.

(I went back to that thread to get TP’s name right, and now I’m crying again. Both for Indy and Tamara. If I become king I am going to outlaw pets dying. It just isn’t fair.)

Hugs to you.