Scam call this morning

The phone rings; Hello. I’m calling from ___bank. Are you Hari Seldon? Yes. There was a suspicious charge on your account this morning; did you make it? No. I will cancel the charge, suspend your card and have a new one mailed to you. Uh, okay. But first I have to ask you some security questions. [First red flag; he called me and identified me by name why does he have to ask me security questions. But okay, I’ll play along.] Do you have the card? Yes. Would you read me the 16 digit number on front? [Giant red flag.] No, I don’t do that when someone calls me. Okay, then do you do online banking? No, but my wife does. Oh, can I talk to her? Okay, here she is.

Now he is talking to her. She heads towards her purse; I ask why and she says that he wants to know her card number. Don’t give it to him; explain you don’t give it out over the phone. Next he asks her what is the IP address she uses for online banking. I told her to tell him we don’t know. [True although I know my SD account records it, so I guess I could look it up here.] At this point I take the phone back and tell him that I am going to call the bank myself and sort this out. Which I did and, needless to add, there was no suspicious charge on the card.

Mundane and Pointless Stuff indeed, but I Must Share.

I wonder how he got your name. Someone supposedly from my bank called me at 2 am with a similar story, about my debit card being used in China. Before I gave anything out I asked him what my address was. When he said that was confidential and he couldn’t tell me I told him to fuck off and went back to sleep. No charges, for sure. He didn’t have my name but did have my town, which he could have gotten from my area code.

Stuff like that just absolutely infuriates me. I’ve never gotten a scam call quite that blatant, and I’m not sure whether I would have handled it by telling the jerk I was going to report him or just playing along and giving him a fake CC number and seeing what else he was fishing for, just out of curiosity. The worst I’ve ever got was one of those fake CRA (Canada Revenue Agency) calls telling me that because of tax arrears I was imminently going to be arrested unless I called them immediately (at which point, AIUI, they are happy to receive the “tax arrears” in Amazon or Apple gift certificates, which is very magnanimous of the federal government, I must say). Some elderly people have lost a good chunk of their life savings to scammers like that. These people are no better – and maybe worse – than burglars who steal all your valuables and vandalize your home.

The /r/personalfinance subreddit is awash with stories like this (this is a typical example). Moral of the story is, if you ever get a suspicious call from your bank, hang up and call the number on your debit/credit card to speak with an actual bank representative and confirm if the charges are real or not.

Facebook just recently leaked data on 500+ million users, which included names and phone numbers. I’m not saying that it specifically came from this leak, but there is data out there that links names and phone numbers.

A lot of people have accounts at a few major banks, so just randomly calling those numbers and saying you’re with Chase/Wells Fargo,BoA is going to get a lot of hits.

The weird and unfortunate thing is, it isn’t that different from a real call. I bought an inflatable kayak using Alibaba, so there was a charge originating in China on my card for around $1,000. It was declined. I got a call from someone saying he was from a fraud alert company, contacting me because of a suspicious charge. He had my name, asked me if I had the card, asked for my birthdate and some other info to confirm my identity. I hesitated at one point, and he just sighed and said I could call my bank directly if I was worried.

I knew what had triggered it, so I went ahead and gave the info, and he did unlock my card so that the transaction went through on the next try. It felt very suspicious though. If I hadn’t been aware of triggering charge, I never would have given out the info.

The last time my card was compromised, I received a text, a call AND an e-mail within 5 minutes. I only needed to verify my identity with a “secret phrase” they made me set up years ago.

Who the hell gives Facebook their phone number?

I was lonely, all right?

Facebook knows what most of its users phone numbers are, whether or not they personally entered them into the website directly. The question is which database got leaked.

I get this call all the time, it poses as the CC company. It’s always a suspicious charge in Asia for a $600, or so, international gift card?

The very first time I got this call, I had been in SEAsia a few weeks prior, so it def set me off. They transferred me to someone who wanted my card number but didn’t know why I was transferred to him?

I hung up and called the CC company. The fellow assured me it was a scam, but I pressed him to check my account. He said, ‘I’m looking at it now! It’s fine, I promise.’ And HE didn’t ask for my cc number, he knew it and read it to me!

I still get this call every 6 wks or so. I just hang up.

Most people use Facebook on their cell phones.

This is exactly why I never install the Facebook apps, and just use the mobile website. Not even with them suddenly saying that all videos with music must be viewed on desktop or in the app.

Another reason I am happy with my $20 flip phone.

I’ve barely given facebook any info at all beyond my name and a couple of relatives and friends, but I’m sure they have my phone number because people I know have given it access to their contacts lists.

Well, yes, it’s called “a phone book”. These days phone books are usually virtual, but the linkage between names and numbers, at least for land lines, can generally be found on the internet, as well as numbers associated with addresses.

This is probably why I get far more telemarketing and scam calls on my land line than on my cell phone. It also occurs to me that the reason I don’t experience many of these scams is that I never pick up when I don’t recognize the number. If it’s important they can leave a message. Incidentally, the CRA scam I mentioned upthread was always in the form of a message that was left, telling me to call back to a certain number or else I would be arrested at once. These people have absolutely no conscience. Well, mostly not. I heard a conversation on CBC Radio where one of the CBC reporters got one of those messages, and called back while recording the call. The reporter actually got the jerk to admit that it was a scam and to actually feel bad about it.

I got a call saying my son was arrested for DUI in NYC and that I needed to get the lawyer $5k by greendot Moneygram to get him out of jail.

“Really…?”

< peeks around corner to see my son working on his PC; ‘Avenged Seven Fold’ can be softly heard playing from his headphones >

“Well, his mother handles all the money. Can you hold on a minute please?”

< puts down phone >

< Cues up & watches ‘Parker’ on NETFLIX >

I got an email with a title that read Protect yourself from identify theft/fraud" Or something like that.

I kept ignoring it because I figured it was just somebody trying to sell me something. Finally my credit card company pings me through their app I have on my phone. Basically saying hey dude you need to call us you’re being scammed.

I did, and sure enough, somebody had racked up over a thousand dollars worth of charges on my credit card. I got it all back, still though, it was a little unsettling to say the least.

That’s interesting. On my debit card, the second they suspect fraud, they actually hold up paying altogether until you confirm you authorized the payment, so no money is lost.

I know because I bought a game on GOG.com for the first time since getting my new account, and they texted me to confirm the payment was legitimate. It was a pretty neat system, much more convenient than my old bank, where I wouldn’t find out until the next time I used my card and it was declined, and then would have to call and talk to a real person.

You do not have to give it to them, they mostly just take it. If you use the app, it is linked to the phone. Some people, dumb people, give it to them when they signal who they know, they sometimes call themselves friends. Some even tag you on pictures, so facebook may recognize you on other photos while at the same time improving their face recognition surveillance algorithms.

Facebook slurps up data from hundreds of sources. Your flip phone will not protect you.

Nor is not using the app protection. Facebook has lots of info on people without facebook accounts. It’s what they do.