School rant: dont borrow or lend

I thought it was Hamlet. But then I’m only going off a scene from “Gilligan’s Island”.

Dang, someone beat me to it.

Oh he can do fractions just fine. But it is a hassle to wrestle with them when doing word problems and such.

Plus what about long division?

Or maybe its just been awhile since you were a 7th grader who hated doing homework?

Oh and follow up, he got it back today. The other boy was actually waiting at his locker to give it to him. I guess being embarrassed because I called up his father had something to do with it.

What I plan on doing is sending a little cheapo calculator (they are as cheap as $1) with my son so if he ever wants to loan one out again, he can give this one which is no loss if it doesn’t come back.

Why not buy two cheapos to start with?

I probably have 4-5 of them laying around.

I remember in seventh grade we had some sort of touchy-feely “hobby” hour and I brought in matchbooks I collected from around the country, and the other students stole a bunch of them. My parents got word of it and called to the teacher, who instead of punishing the other students or canceling this popular activity, or at least making them give them back to me, left it up to me in front of the rest of the class. Of course not wanting to be a snitch, I let it go, but it was kinda unfair to put a 12 year old on the spot like that.

I have, over the years, bought 4 tI-84s - yeah, the $100+ ones. I had one, which became my son’s when he got into 8th grade and needed a graphing calculator - in eighth grade. My daughter is accelerated, she could finish two years of college level calc in high school if she chose, so she needed one the same year - when she was in seventh grade. So I got her a new one. Then I missed mine - it sat in my son’s bag. So I decided to buy a new one for him so I could have mine back (are you some sort of geek when you want a graphing calculator at home?). Then this year mine went to a friend of my son’s who’d been managing with cheap calculators until he ran into a brick wall in Algebra II. Nice kid, smart, nice family, we’ve known them since kindergarten, but not a lot of money - so “here, take my used calculator.”

Then my son “loaned” out his calculator. And didn’t get it back in time for an important test. Which he failed (although retaking it is possible for half missed points). While he was waiting to get it back, I replaced my missing calculator and he got that one, eventually he got his old one back, and I got that (he took the new cool color version). And, of course, he had to chase the kid he loaned his calculator to, it was a two week “loan.”

There is no “cheap calculator” option at this point, unless you are prepared to teach your kid to calculate an R-squared by hand or a best fit regression line through multiple points. And they can do it fast enough to do 5 of them during a half hour quiz. How about p-values during Stats class from a list of numbers.

I suspect I’m in for at least one more before college ends. Amazingly, my daughter, the absent minded professor, hasn’t lost hers (knock on wood), which I sort of expect yet.

Orrrrrrrrrrr… He would have done the same thing even if you hadn’t called his dad. We did that all the time when I was in middle school – well, we didn’t have lockers, but we’d

wait outside or at the other kid’s homeroom door.

If I was this kid’s theoretical parent, I’d probably remind the kid to give the calculator back tomorrow, but I’d also mentally file a note that you’re a little… odd.

Hmm… Maybe I should have totally stayed out of it. I dont know. Still feel new to this parenting thing.

Actually, the Bible says you’re allowed to borrow your neighbor’s ass.
You’re just not supposed to covet it.

(but , ya know…the Bible doesn’t say anything about his wife’s ass) :slight_smile:

Tell him not to loan it out. Problem solved.

I shall certainly make it a point never to look covetously on my neighbor’s ass, then.

people wouldn’t borrow his slide rule.

Your son sounds like an idiot. Good on you for putting up with him.

After 12 something years? Get a grip man, you’re just getting to the good part.

Maybe the OP might consider teaching his son about the idea of “security” for a loan.

I thought it was an arras he hid behind.

Heh, “behind”. Heh, “arras”.

No one would ever say that, since “cannot” is all one word.

Huh. I was doing fractions when I was still in the womb.

I’m laughing here, but I don’t know if it’s with you or at you…

I thought he said “please don’t stab me in the arras.”

Thats what iPhones are for, use the calculator app, no way he is going to be lending that out.

Declan

As an aside, one thing the teachers got wrong way back when, we would always have a calculator with us.