Scientific Progress goes Boink!

Sorry Bill if I stole your book title but it is appropriate. I was wondering of all my amigos here, have you ever witnessed something you cannot explain scientifically?
Sure you can say I saw a UFO or a ghost but I am looking for some interesting tales where its just hard to figure out what exactly happened and its hard to classify.

Example- I was surfing once and got into a nice tube, full enclosure. Well, the wave…well…played with me. Its hard to explain but I would slow down and the lip of the wave would slow down, I would speed up and it would match me. Also, the sound changed inside there and it was real quiet, I mean no sound. After what felt like forever I came out of it and someone, well, giggled behind me. No one there and it was totally weird. Like someone was having fun with me.

Has anyone else just had some strangeness occured that they really cannot explain.

I know that I have put you through hell, and I know that I have been one rough pecker. But from here on, you are all in
my cool book.- Seth Gecko From Dusk Till Dawn

I’ve had lots of weird things happen that I can’t explain, but there’s a huge gap between “I can’t explain it” and “it’s not explainable”.

I came across something weird and I can’t scientifically explain it for sure but it’s not really inexplicable. I live in the sand dunes and have all my life. Once I was walking through barrens with no shade (no nearby trees) and noticed that one little area was noticeably about five degrees warmer (to a walker, not at ground level) than a couple feet to either side. I pointed it out to others who felt it, too. I think the wind had temporarily formed a shallow bowl of just the right shape that it concentrated solar energy (as sort of a lens) at people height. I have never come across this phenomena before or since, nor have I read of it. When one of you readers does scientifically explain it, please name it the Putrid Phenomena.

I once shared a dream with a friend of mine.

The exact same dream, the same ‘place’, the same ‘events’, the same ‘people’, but observed from different angles.

Totally inexplicable, even now. And I’m the biggest skeptic in the world.

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat

I never could explain how it was that Calvin could change his transmogrifier into a duplicator just by putting the box on its side.

Hmpf, I wish I could make copies of me to do my homework…

“I’m not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.”-- Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
\/-------\ | |-----| |
…c.c…c.c…

Once when I was 10, i was walking out of my room, and a clock (that was sitting on a shelf about 4 ft high) fell off the shelf. only it didn’t land straight down. It landed about 8 ft away. the lights in the house were always going on and off, but that part is explainable. also, all of our pets at that house ran away.

But, when I was 8, i had a dream in which Christ appeared between the clouds and came down to earth. keep in mind that i wasn’t real cultured and had no real basis in any religeon other than general american christianity. The odd thing is, when my mom picked up the paper that morning, 3 rabbis from jeruselum had the same dream the same night. wierd.

We live in an age that reads to much to be wise, and thinks too much to be beautiful–Oscar Wilde

I knew I had one of these unexplainable thingies somewhere in my memory, so here goes…

Back in the 7th grade I had this really cool RCA watch that wasn’t powered by batteries, it was one of those antiquey kinds that had to be wound up just about every damn day. So one day I’m helping my teacher out by walking around the room and passing back homework to the other kids and I feel a burst of static electricity on my arm. I had hit the metal casing of the airconditioner and somehow it had given me a shock. Here’s the weird part… I look down at my watch and its spinning out of control, the hands of the watch are going around the face and I feel the watch get hotter and hotter as the hands move faster and faster. I quickly take off the watch and start to rewind it, but the mechanism won’t work. Then it suddenly stops, both hands stop moving -yet the watch is still hot. I tried to reset the time but the watch wouldn’t have any of it. It was broken, and it hasn’t worked to this day.

I think it could’ve been the link to perpetual motion, or maybe the watch popped a spring and unwound itself really fast until it broke. I vote for perpetual motion though…

“I’m not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.”-- Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
\/-------\ | |-----| |
…c.c…c.c…

I am not prone to flights of fancy, but this always stuck in my mind…

When I was in High School, I was in a bowling league. A shortcut to get home was to walk down the railroad tracks. I always walked down the tracks over a bridge and went down the other side so I wouldn’t have to cross the six lanes of traffic below.

One day I’m doing this with a walkman on. I look behind me - train really far away. No biggie - keep walking. Look back in a few, and I see it’s on the other rails. Keep walking, keep jamming. Look back one more time, it’s closer but still on the other rail.

As I am walking, the way I always did, for no reason at all, I veer off the tracks. The second I did, a train steams by me on the tracks I just vacated with it’s horn blasting. With the walkman cranked up and being lost in thought, I hadn’t heard a thing. And there is no reason for me to veer from a path I always took.

I could have MAYBE heard the train’s horn in my sub-conscious, but really, I don’t have an explanation for it.

Nor do I have an explanation for the odd tingly sensation I felt running through me as I watched the train pass me by, as I stared, in awe, at the place I stood a second before.

Yer pal,
Satan

I once saw a pair of shoes turn into a boa constrictor and back.

Of course, that was after 12 beers and some really excellent Columbian.

Armed, dangerous…
and off my medication.

Ahhh. Cheap drugs. When are you people gonna dust off your pocketbooks long enough to buy the good stuff?

Giggling waves. Only surfers…

Is an appreciation of beauty a function of the human soul?

Dear Daniel:
If I can see shit like that with cheap drugs, who needs the expensive stuff?

Armed, dangerous…
and off my medication.

When I was about ten years old, I was sitting in the living room, when suddenly, I heard a dial tone. There was a telephone on the couch next to me, but it was on the hook. I checked a couple of other telephones in other rooms, and they were on the hook too. As I was walking past the front door, the sound got a little louder, as if it was coming from outside. I opened the door, yep, it was coming from outside, all right. I walked out on to the lawn, the noise getting louder and louder as if I was getting closer, trying to figure out where the hell it could possibly be coming from, when suddenly, it stopped. Weirdest damn thing that has ever happened to me. To this day I’m not entirely sure that it wasn’t a dream. It certainly didn’t feel like one.

“That’s entertainment!” —Vlad the Impaler

I don’t know if I’ve shared this before, but one time, a few years ago, I was sleeping in a motel room, and I woke up in the middle of the night. There was an amazingly bright light shining through the windows, and absolutely no sound. I tried to roll over so I could see what was going on, and what was making the light, but when I tried to roll over, I found I couldn’t move. My face was smashed into the pillow, with just one eye able to see around, and I couldn’t hardly breathe. Finally, I passed out from lack of oxygen. I woke up the next morning, there was nothing in front of the window, no sign of anything, and no one else had woken up to collaborate.

Also, as I’ve shared before, my house may very well be haunted.

–Tim

We are the children of the Eighties. We are not the first “lost generation” nor today’s lost generation; in fact, we think we know just where we stand - or are discovering it as we speak.

Homer, your motel room experience reminded me of something I experienced as a child, being aware of my surroundings in bed but unable to move as if I was paralyzed. It felt creey but I chalk it up to an sleep stage. I wasn’t being abducted by aliens and I wasn’t being gang probed.

I am also a lucid dreamer which is fun once you get the hang of it. I often reach a state where I am fully aware that I’m dreaming so I have a little fun with it. About a year ago I found myself in a large mansion and decided to float around like a ghost. I was enjoying my tour of the house and decided I didn’t have open doors, I mean I’m a ghost right? I floated up to to a closed door and BAM! I felt incredibly vivid pain as if I had walked into a door with my nose. It was incredibly disorienting and I wasn’t sure if I was dreaming anymore. I woke up a few seconds later, in bed and unbruised, but didn’t get to sleep again that night.

This happened to me a few years ago, and I’m still trying to figure it out.

I flew to L.A. to meet a friend. I packed a suitcase and then had a carry-on bag. When I got to the hotel and started to unpack the suitcase, I noticed that the zipper had been ripped off. The “pull” part and the head were gone. That created a dilemma within itself, because if I chose to tear open the zipper, I would never be able to close it. Well, I had to get to my stuff, so I did it. I know stuff like that happens with the shuffle of bags from plane to plane.

Anyhoo, when I left, I had to have an airline attendant put my open suitcase in a HUGE duct-taped cardboard box and then drag it around LAX…an embarrassing, “Beverly Hillbillies” story in itself.

So I finally get home and I’m unpacking the carry-on bag. At the bottom was the zipper from my suitcase. I have other pieces of that luggage and I compared it to them - it definitely came from my suitcase. The weird thing is, my carry-on NEVER came in contact with the luggage - it was with me the entire time. How the hell it got into my bag is a mystery I will probably never resolve.

‘There are stranger things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than you can ever imagine.’ Quote from someone, somewhere.

I’ve been tearing up my place looking for an item I lost and KNOW that I just had it a little bit ago. Finally, after getting thoroughly frustrated, I’ve found it RIGHT IN A SPOT I HAD CHECKED SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE. I know it was not THERE those previous times.

Having luckily spent a large part of my childhood growing up pretty well isolated from crowded areas and having a goodly chunk of Florida woods to play in, I’m used to ‘odd’ things going on at times. Like how one can actually smell when a person has passed by and not by perfumes or scents, but the human, musky smell the body gives off naturally.

Sometimes, on a hot day in a sandy area, there would be a ‘hot’ spot or even a floating ‘cool’ one. While swimming in a sulfur water lake in the woods one time, I spotted this huge, twisty pale blue tube hovering in the water. It was about 40 feet long, and seemed to be made of blue smoke. It was bigger around than my body and when I swam through it, it was very cold. The water in the lake was very clear and back then, luckily, the alligators which now infest every puddle in Florida, were being hunted nearly to extinction. I discovered that the tube was the current of cold, artesian water coming into the lake from the fill pipes channel. It was great fun to play around and explore because the rest of the water was somewhat warm.

After having lived around the brackish Indian River for ages, one night while boating with friends, the entire river came alive with mullet. They were banging against the hull of the boat and the whole surface of the river seemed to be alive with them. We could have scooped them up in dip nets! We figured out that they were spawning but I had no idea that a spawn could cover miles of the river! I had no idea that there were that many mullet in the river!

I’ve never seen it since. I’d like to, this time with nets and a big ice chest!

Mark
“Think of it as Evolution in action.”

Well, I haven’t told this story to many, but, here goes. About 10-12 years ago, when I was in my mid-twenties, I was reading a book called The Plague Dogs one night. This is a very sad work of fiction taken from the perspective of 2 dogs that escape from an animal testing facility. Being a dog owner at the time, I was very moved by the brutality in the book. The next part, and please don’t laugh too loud, is that night I dreamt my bike was stolen away to the bicycle experimentation labs. In the dream, I kicked the door in and searched up and down the halls until I found my bike, but it was too late, it’d already been disassembled. Well, big deal right, but the next morning my bike was gone. Now you may think, as others have thought before you, that I must have heard someone out there and assimilated it unconciously, and I would agree, were it not for the fact that the bike was on the front porch, and my room was in the back. Additionally, I rented the room from a nut who, along with her 2 very loud children, would often be up 'till midnight. Since I had to go to work early, I often put earplugs in when I went to bed. I can’t believe that I might have picked anyone moving stealthily from the other side of the house, with the livingroom in between. No lie,
Larry
Horatio: O day and night, but this is wondrous strange.

Hamlet: And therefore as a stranger give it welcome. There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
W. Shakespeare

Or, as Robert Ludlum modified it for a cheap thriller:
The English poet said it best, there are more preposterous vissisitudes in life than a single philosophy can conjure.

MarkSerlin said:

I’ve been tearing up my place looking for an item I lost and KNOW that I just had it a little bit ago. Finally, after getting thoroughly frustrated, I’ve found it RIGHT IN A SPOT I HAD CHECKED SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE. I know it was not THERE those previous times.

I know, man. And I’ve explained it before, too. It’s a mistake of the Minute Makers.

Coldfire

“You know how complex women are”

• Neil Peart, Rush (1993)

Let’s tie two threads together…

whenever I find something in a place that I know I already checked, I blame it on the pooka. I am sure I have one in my place(and yes, I am of 100% Irish ancestry) and my SO is becoming convinced.

The best stories concern controlled substances and such, so I will keep them to myself.

Anger is only one letter short of danger.

I’ve got a cheap Indiglo Atlantis 100 watch which I received as a present a couple of years ago. When I intially wore it I noticed that some of the LCD “specks” didn’t work and that the Indiglo light had crapped itself. I replaced the battery for naught and promptly threw it into the back of my locker.

This watch somehow made two moves with me.
Several months ago while pawing through my junk drawer I came across it again. The date, day of the week and time were correct (even though I had set it in a different time zone!) and the light worked.

Or should I say works. I wear it every day now, even though the tone/alarm is inoperative. And I havn’t had to change the battery again.

doo-DOO-doo-doo doo-DOO-doo-doo!