Scientists: Human body temperature is dropping worldwide

Two centuries ago, German scientist Carl Wunderlich learned that human body temperature hovered around 98.6 degrees F. But scientists at UC Santa Barbara have determined that in the last 20 years, the average temperature in the UK has dropped to 97.9 and in the US is 97.5. even the temperature in a tribe in remote parts of the Amazon has also dropped considerably.
They’re not sure why.

Reading this brief section on the history of body temperature measurement from wikipedia does not leave me with any confidence that average body temperature ever was 98.6 degrees.

I think it’s just one observable symptom of the slow but inexorable on-going heat death of the universe.

One conjecture I heard is that we suffer fewer diseases, have less inflammation and therefore lower temperature. Not sure how this applies to tribes in the remote Amazon.

Lizard People are finally coming out of the shadows…

my body temp has always been closer to 99.

checkmate atheists

Or global homeostatic mechanisms adjusting to climate change.

Mine’s been around 97.6-97.8 for the last 30+ years.

Or to air conditioning. Now that here in COVID-land we get our temperatures checked regularly whether we like it or not, I’ve certainly seen that simply being outdoors in and out of the shade for 20 minutes can elevate my temp 2 or 3 degrees. Hanging around indoors surfing the 'Dope? Not so much.

Now that’s measuring forehead skin temp, not core temp, but what do we really know about the nature & quality of the 1800s measurements that gave us 37C 98.6F?

Mine’s always been about 97.5.

Just a Mundane Pointless aside, but skimming through the thread I couldn’t help but read the above as “measuring foreskin temp”.

As one gets older that temp seems to decline as well. Certainly on a time-averaged basis it does :sad trombone: :sob:

Everybody is just chilling out.

Especially the 1800s measurements of tribes in the remote Amazon

Mine runs 97.0-ish, always making it hard to prove it when I’m febrile.