Screw Greg Abbott {Texas Governor}

• but

Today Greg Abbott tweeted this:

Unironically, mind you.

Yes, the fuckwit who feels perfectly comfortable forcing women to bear children against their will, is now vowing to protect Texans “right to choose” not to get vaccinated and endanger public health.

I think he and Trump ought to be exiled to the place where Napoleon lived out his days.

I hope he gets a tapeworm and gets told because it has a pulse and feels pain that he has to suck it up and live with it.

Ooh. This is promising. He’s such a painful example of why old white men should not be legislating women’s health. Fuck him and his 6 week bullshit.

Complete headline:
State agency recommends two firms to oversee construction of Gov. Greg Abbott’s Texas-Mexico border wall

As of Aug. 31, $54 million has been donated by the public, and last week the state Legislature sent a bill allocating $1.88 billion in additional funds for border security to Abbott’s desk. Of those funds, $750 million will be used to build border barriers. The governor has not yet signed the bill into law.

A reeeeel good use of funds at this time, Greg, you MF asshole. :woman_facepalming:t4:

I hope a VERY good accounting is done on whose pockets that money lines. Oh, wait, that’s crazy talk.

Well, maybe Abbott knew what he was doing in abandoning any and all anti-coronavirus measures – his main opponent in the GOP primary has come down with Covid-related pneumonia. Well played, Greg. Well played.

Hospitalized with pneumonia. “Not serious “. Sure. I’m sure intubation is just for giggles too.

Meh, even if Abbott implemented (yeah, I know - this’ll be the most ridiculous hypothetical of all ridiculous hypotheticals) the slightest hint of a modicum of covid awareness, West still would have been too much of a covidiot (with his message) anyway.

From Tribune article:

Then again, if any dem candidates in any potentially close electoral races,* there, get covid, sure, that could suck.

*Given the way gerrymandering will be getting cooked up recently, I’m wondering how much that plays into the picture.

To address this point, Republicans in the state legislature forewent attempting to redraw the map to create many more Republican districts in favor of entrenching incumbents. Already holding a 23-13 advantage and with several Republican-held seats getting much closer in recent years, they prioritized making Republican seats much more red (which necessarily made Democratic seats much more blue). Out of 38 seats (we added two) in the state’s Congressional delegation, only one would be potentially competitive under the new maps.

(Quote from linked article.)

Yes it should be, and is. And the choice is yes, I’ll get vaccinated. Moron.

Yeah, that was my thinking- what exactly counts as “serious” then? Having to be revived after dying?

This is a hard one; I generally don’t wish death on anyone or even serious illness, but I’m also feeling like the state and world would be a better place with one less crazy-ass insane Republican.

Abbott has issued an executive order banning ANY entity in Texas – public or private – from compelling any individual to get the coronavirus vaccine. No exception is made for health care providers or any other entity working with at-risk populations. How he thinks he has this authority is beyond me.

You know, I actually had some respect for how Abbott handled things at the start of the pandemic. But he’s always been a weak reed ready to bend in whatever direction the conservative winds are blowing, and now he’s officially capitulated to the anti-vaxx forces that have taken over the Republican party.

So, if OSHA requires vaccination, and Texas forbid vaccine requirements, what actually happens?

I think you nailed the part that Texas Republicans don’t put any thought into.

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

Greg’s next step will be an Executive Order mandating that everyone contract COVID asap just to prove it’s a hoax and No Big Deal. This will be facilitated by large, crowded events in unventilated spaces with no one wearing masks, goddammit! Vaccinations optional, but hugging, singing, shouting, and coughing on each other will be encouraged.

Yeah, that’s what i thought. So this law seems like it’s either intended to challenge the OSHA regulation (something that could otherwise be done by employers, but maybe not by the SA the state?) or it’s just intended to create confusion and conflict.

Nah, it’s just for show. He’s trying to pose as a conservative savior thumbing his nose at Biden and the feds. But…

It’s one of his weasel lawyer things. Nothing in his executive order actually says he’s overriding federal requirements. It’s an executive order that explicitly states no local authorities in Texas can impose vaccine requirements but doesn’t say anything about their legal obligation to follow federal mandates. So, he’s not saying it’s ok to ignore federal guidelines but he’s implying it for the mouth breathers who will only read the headlines.

It’s just another way to gull the rubes. Who might still vote him out of office for his troubles.

It’s totally a fight against the right wing of the Texas Republican party; they’re attacking him from the right of the spectrum claiming his pandemic response is too Democrat, he’s a RINO, and so on.

So Abbott feels like he’s got to disprove that with actions, not just words. Hence the stream of perplexingly stupid executive orders. He never seemed like one of the crazies until the second half of the pandemic, at which point he’s been steadily leaning into the stupid, which wasn’t really his thing before.