Screw-with-the-mind movies?

O Lucky Man has a lot of, “What the…?” type of moments. Like the infamouis “pig man” sequence.

Gaslight, 1944, with Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotten.

eXistenZ and The Thirteenth Floor are both good mind-benders.

You must rent this:

In The Mouth Of Madness

It is one scary movie, and it messes with you head big time. Don’t watch it by yourself. You have been warned!

By the way, don’t pay too much mind to the crappy reviews on IMDB. Trust me: this movies rocks.

Some classics include A Clockwork Orange and One Flew Over the Cookoo’s Nest.

I’ll also scong Jacob’s Ladder and Brazil.

Big seconds and thirds on this, great film, didn’t know Sam Neil could act that well. Also, in a strange related note, my office as a relaxation tape that has the same music from the mental asylum on it. Never fails to make me laugh.

Also, Apacolypse Now

The Ipcress File - When you here the voice say, ‘Now listen to me’

GMRyujin writes:

> Twelve Monkeys is good, another Terry Gilliam.

Even better, see the film that inspired 12 Monkeys:

La Jetee (1962, France, dir. Chris Marker)

Some other films that might fit this category are:

They Live (1988, U.S., dir. John Carpenter)
Spider (2003, France/Canada/U.K., dir. David Cronenberg)

I don’t think anyone has mentioned Altered States yet. “Your friend is a gorilla.”

Or for that matter, The Man with Two Brains. “I couldn’t fuck a gorilla.”

Along the lines of Fear & Loathing, there’s also The Doors and Trainspotting as adventures in drug-induced deliria. Neither has gorilla-oriented dialog.

I second Pi:Faith in Chaos and Brazil and add an anime (series, but its only 13 episodes) Serial Experiments:Lain.

Lain is DEFINATELY worth buying if you are into technology. If you arent into technology, its still a good movie, but wont have as much of an impact. Basicly is about a 13 year old girl who gets an e-mail from one of her friends a day after she committed suicide. So Lain starts to figure out that the “Wired” (Internet) and the real world are lot more similar than people think. The series is totally crazy but thought provoking. Some people claim that the series goes too slow, but a lot of people think its right on pace. A single episode has more content that many movies I have seen before. Out of all the entertainment I have ever seen in my life, I’d have to say that Lain is the trippiest and coolest I’ve ever seen.

Lost Highway
American Psycho
The Fisher King (Yet another Gilliam film.)

Full Metal Jacket.

Don’t do it! Read the book instead! :slight_smile:

I wrote:

> . . . Spider (2003 . . .

Actually, it’s listed in IMDb as a 2002 film.

Videodrome

The Sixth Sense.

the last ten seconds of Men In Black. :stuck_out_tongue:

THX-1138

Yes, THAT “THX”.

From 1971, shown on cable late at night.

More relevant now than ever.

Another anime (a movie this time): Perfect Blue
Mirage
(1965)
36 Hours (1964)
Charley
Chappaqua
Woyzeck
Blade Runner
Sexy Beast
The Stunt Man

I’m messing with him…

he’s messing with me [runs the other way].