Screw you, Vizio.

This is so stupid it almost defies belief.

Fistly, the OP isn’t in Mexico.

Secondly, most English speakers, when they hear Vizio, probably associate it with the word “vision,” which is pretty logical logical for a company that produces high definition televisions.

And whaddayaknow? Both visión and televisión are words in Spanish too! Who would have believed it?

That’s an urban legend, and as a Spanish speaker you should well know that a native speaker of Spanish would be extremely unlikely to describe a broken-down car by saying “no va.”

And yet, while it is one of the cheaper brands, Vizio has a reputation for making pretty decent and reliable televisions. Reviews at CNet, one of the most prominent online electronics review sites, consistently give Vizio televisions pretty good ratings, especially in terms of value for money. I have quite a few friends with Vizios, and the TVs all seem to produce a perfectly good picture.

OTOH, you have to admit Mitsubishi’s Pajero was an unfortunate model name for marketing in Spanish speaking countries…

Exactly.

Read the Amazon or NewEgg customer reviews for just about any model of television and you’ll find reviews that say things like “Dead On Arrival” or “It worked fine for three months and then it died.” This applies to cheaper Vizio or Westinghouse products and to top-of-the-line Sony and Sharp and Panasonic televisions.

Yeah, I’m piling on, but what the fuck? How many companies have names that mean anything? And if you don’t know anything about electronics brands, why would you chastise the OP? Vizio is considered a “budget” brand, but it’s not like it was built by drooling idiots in the back of a van. Vizio is a real company that does a huge business. Any place that buys TVs in bulk (like bars or waiting rooms or whatnot) buys Vizio.

My understanding is that Vizio is one of those companies that doesn’t really make or do anything, but just kind of packages things. They’re somewhere in the L.A. area, and have only about 150 employees.

It pays other companies in China and Mexico to make things according to its designs.

When you turn it on, do you have the picture for a second or two?

Actually, I have heard more than one native speaker of Spanish describe a broken-down anything by saying no va, and I use the expression myself. We even have the expression no va ni pálante ni patrás (it doesn’t go either forward or backwards) to indicate something that is completely broken down.

And I did mention that Vizio looks like a misspelling of, among other possibilities, vision. If that’s what it’s supposed to be, it’s still an antZ kind of word.

My original post was tongue in cheek and evidently has fallen flat, but anybody who thinks brand names are unimportant is welcome to talk with the people who banned the Poison perfume or with any Spaniard who owns a Mitsubishi Pajero (compulsive masturbator), which Fury already mentioned. Having one of those is worse than having a Pikachu - at least with these people just ask how come yours isn’t yellow (for some reason, the Citroen Xsara Picasso, aka Pikachu, seems to have been specially popular in silver).

In the interest of fighting ignorance, [Christian Dior] Poison was banned from restaurants because it smelled too strong, not because of the name.

Brand names can be incredibly important.

But anyone who not also a complete blithering idiot recognizes that the brand name is just that—a brand name and a marketing device—and has no necessary relationship to the quality of the product itself. It’s possible to have a fantastic brand name and a shitty product, and it’s also possible to have a really stupid brand name and a great product.

I buy much of my tech gear from a website called NewEgg. What sort of stupid company name is that? It has no relationship at all with the type of merchandise the company is selling, and it just sounds silly. And yet NewEgg is generally considered, especially by people who buy a lot of computer equipment, to be one of the best retailers in the United States.

More to the point of this particular thread, the fact is that anyone in the United States who is in the market for a new television has heard of Vizio. It is a brand name widely associated, both by consumers and by industry reviewers, with decent quality and good value for money in the world of HDTVs. Unfortunately, the OP happened to get a lemon. It happens, even with the best brands. The best thing, in this case, is that at least it happened within the warranty period.

As for Poison, the fact that it’s still available more than 25 years after it was released suggests that the brand name hasn’t done much hard to Christian Dior’s sales.

Even if that’s true,* it doesn’t change the fact that the name was not responsible for poor sales in Spanish-speaking countries. That’s just a myth.

• Both of my Spanish professors in college—one from Madrid and one from Barcelona—were actually quite explicit in telling us that “doesn’t go” (no va) and “doesn’t work” (no trabaja) were not used in the same way in Spanish as in English. Each said that, while a Spanish speaker might understand you if you use such a locution, it would be more correct as well as idiomatically preferable to use a verb like “funcionar” or “marchar,” depending on what you were actually describing.

Look, damn you, I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one! And there’s Magnetbox and Sorny.

Blank Slate no, no picture, it is a little lighter blue for a few seconds but then dark.

Given that it took some 30 or 40 years for CRT TV technology to advance to the point where a TV didn’t break simply from looking at it sideways, I’m fairly impressed with the quality and durability of the new technology that’s been developed in such a short time.

I have memories of going down to the drugstore with my dad to test tubes. Those were the days. :wink:

Wow, do you have to work at being that douchey? I’m glad you have taught all of us, including a native Spanish-speaker, that there’s absolutely no way for regional variances to exist in the language she’s spoken since birth*. Especially since she’s lived in a lot of different regions and countries, so it’s not like she could be actually informing us of an interesting tidbit.

Nope, clearly she’s either lying or just wrong. I know I’m way more likely to listen to a poster whose proof is two Spanish profs he had however long ago (who wouldn’t ever gloss over/ignore grammatically incorrect slang so students wouldn’t extend that into other instances).

• give or take a couple years. :wink:

Bite me, douchebag.

I fully concede that some people do use this locution, but it doesn’t change the fact that the story about the Nova’s sales in Spanish-speaking countries is a complete urban legend. It’s bullshit; it never happened; it’s a fabrication based on wishful thinking.

I assumed the name was a play on words on the retail store chain Egghead, which was still in business back then.

But I don’t get your point. It is incredibly common for even brand name products to use intentionally misspelled or otherwise corrupted words, from Blu-Ray to Qwest to Krispy Kreme. Part of the reason is trademark legalities. You aren’t seriously insinuating that Vizio could have been an unintentional misspelling, are you?

As was mentioned, LCD TVs are made up of a big LCD display panel, (these are made by either Samsung or LG in Korea/China), and the power supply, electronics package (which are made by a variety of firms (China, Korea, Singapore, Indonesia, etc.).
So, of the hundreds of brand names, they are all made by a handful of OEMs. For example, we have a “Scott” TV (made by Panasonic, with LCD by Samsung). There are a ton of brand names (ie. Zenith, Philips, Westinghouse, Curtis Mathes, etc., which have Samsung displays.
As far as I am concerned, most brands are just the names of long-dead manufacturers which are slapped on the front of the set.

While most of your post is true, it’s not certain that cheap sets have LG or Samsung panels. Some Chinese companies like ChiMei have their panels in a lot of cheaper TVs, Sceptre is one who has used ChiMei panels quite extensively.