SDMB black rifle club

Brutus suggested we start a SDMB black rifle club for those of us who own politically incorrect spoprting arms. While I’m all for that cause I’ve recently decided to colorize my own black rifles.

My AR started as a pre-ban Colt HBAR sporter with flattop and detachable carry handle. A few customizations later it’s a snazzy little M4 replica. The 14.5" Bushmaster barrel has a Smith Enterprises Vortex flash suppressor permanently silver soldered in place so the ATF considers it the same as an ordinary 16.1" barrel. Aside from an attachment for rifle grenades (not used on that type anyway) I have all of the “evil” assault weapon features.

I retcently decided it was a bit too “goth” so I decided to switch over to Cavalry Arms furniture in desert tan. Starting with pistol grip and will soon swap hand guards and CAR buttstock.

I also have a Savage 10FP which started all black but replaced the whippy factory stock with a Choate in olive drab but I’m also working on a gray/black laminate wood varminter stock.

I don’t have an AR-15, but I do have a sweet little 10/22 with a bull barrel and black stock and scope. Of all my guns, it is the most fun to shoot. Great little squirrel gun too if you don’t have to walk too far. (It weighs 10lbs) One day I am going to try a carbon barrel.

My Browning A-Bolt .30-06 is a silver and black gun. SS metal, with a synthetic stock and matching silver scope. No, it isn’t fine French walnut, but it doesn’t get scratched either! It does have the BOSS on it, which makes it look a little more menacing ! :smiley:

I have an AR-15 HBAR, 1992 manufacture, 100% stock. Plus about 30 30-round magazines.

I am also the proud owner of a Mini-14 SS Ranch Rifle, with the factory SS folding stock, and factory SS scope rings. I even have the rare “factory, legal to own but not sold to the public” pre-ban SS magazines to go with it.

Also 2 AK-47’s, and several other assorted military-style weapons.

Do I get to join the club?

Una

My latest pride and joy is a Krebs AK-103k. Black furniture and a nice black finish. It has the -74 type muzzle break, which does a great job keeping you on-target, but whoa! does that beast let some flash out!
Granted, I am shooting Wolf (which I personally think is pretty darn good ammo, especially for the price. I may get brave and try some out in my handguns). 30 round mags are cheap, ammo is cheap, and the -103k is as accurate as I am, so it is a winning rifle. Mr.Krebs does fine work, even if it costs.

Of course, when I slap on the PSO-1, it is a true snipers’ tool :wink:

I sold a EA Pre-Ban M-4gery that I had. I just can’t get comfortable with .223…

My next project is going to be a long-range rifle of some flavor. The 10fp’s get the grade for price, but being on a slavic-weapons kick, I may go with a Romak-III :wink: I am a fairly bad shot at range, so I am not about to sink a few grand into a Chandler or something like that. I can shoot poorly with a cheap rifle just as good as I can with a $5000 one.

Handguns:

Colt 1991A1 S.70, Russ Carniak custom. Oh so sweet.

Browning Hi-Power. Hey, we all need at least on hicap, right?

S&W 686. .357 revolver is just what the doctor ordered for a home-defence stupid-simple peice.

Kimber Ultra II. This is my CCW peice. If I knew how good kimbers were, I would have gotten a full size instead of the colt. I have never had a firearm function so smoothly out of the box.

Soviet Makarov. Hey! 130 bucks, you can’t beat it! And soon as I get a Russian shotgun, I am going to go to a few local 3-gun meets with the Eastern-Bloc trio.

Out of curiosity, have you fired Wolf 9mm or .45? If so, what are your opinions of it? I can generally find cheap milsurp 9mm, but with .45, I am averaging about $.20/round. I’d love to cut that down, and Wolf would fit the bill, but I don’t want to kill a $1,200 pistol trying to save a few bucks on ammo…

I have three AR-15s. One is a 1979 Colt Sporter in the original configuration. I built the other two on lowers I bought before the bans. One is a carbine version with a collapsing stock and a 16" barrel with an A2 upper. The other is an A2 replica. My other “black gun”, a Springfield SAR-8 (HK-91) had to be removed from the state because I didn’t find out it was banned until after the registration deadline. (Yes, the others are registered.)

It’s not black, but I have a sweet little Ruger Mini-14 with a copy of the Ruger folding stock. That is, it looks and functions just like Ruger’s, but they weren’t selling them so I took what the gun shop had. Actually, that stock isn’t installed. I can’t decide which I like better, so I switch them occasionally. Right now it has the factory fixed stock on it.

Haven’t been shooting in years. The guns are under lock-and-key until I move out of state (which I hope will be soon).

Just saw Anthracite’s post, and being a mag-hoarder like me, by all means she gets in the club :wink:

De-MIL’d M-14 (still housed in it’s original MIL-issue fibreglass stock), with a dozen or so 20-round magazines. A Moisin-Nagant M43 carbine with folding cruciform bayonet. I’ve sold off most of the other Militaria & rifles, sad to say.

Do I still qualify…?

Only a Hungarian Makarov 9X18mm semi-auto. 7 round mag. Nothing to see here, I’ll just move along.

what in the world do you people need with these types of guns! What if they fall in the wrong hands!
KIDDING!! I am the proud owner of a pre-ban(I think) Bulgarian SLR-95 (AK clone). Can I join?

<gawks at gun-toting Americans>

I don’t think I’ve even seen a real gun before. :eek: Fascinating!

Too late. Mwahahahahahaha!!!

Just kidding.

I have three 20-rd. mags for my Mini-14. I used to have 30-rd. mags, but I think the 20-rd. mags look better. Anyway, the guy I traded mags with also had a Ruger factory 20-rd. blue mag (my rifle is blue) which he sold me for a very reasonable price. Of course, that’s before they were outlawed.

I “stocked up” on AR-15 30-rd. mags just before the ban. I don’t have as many as you, though! Maybe 15. All of the 20-rd. mags are Colt marked.

There is one rifle that I’d really like to have. (Well, several; but this one is high on the list.) An Armalite AR-180. I looked at one around 1984. It was the ugliest rifle I’ve ever seen! Ugly, stamped-steel receiver; ugly plastic stock; ugly handguards; ugly charging handle. Of course I had to have it. But being poor at the time I passed it up thining, “Oh, I can always get one when I have the money.” Well, now I have the money. But they’re illegal in California (except by owners who had them and registered them before the first ban). I still hope to find one when I move away. I mean, it’s so ugly I love it.

Mine are all “military spec”, but pre-ban. I got them at $3 per, from a FOAF.

My tactical carbines are not sporting arms.

The Savage is pretty nice and you can tweak it to your heart’s content. I’ve got a Sharpshooter Supply trigger and will probably add the oversize bolt handle from the Savage scout model.

The Dragunov style rifles are interesting but finding reasonably priced .311" bullets is a pain. Much better variety of .308 bullets from bulk milspec FMJBT to Match Kings.

I’ve also got a project gun in the works, a FAL that will be built on a DSA reciever. I’ve got a couple of Stg-58 parts kits with excellent Steyr barrels. A local builder specializes in building FALs so I mau just turn the whole pile over to him to assemble and finish.

um…

as one raised around firearms, and has owned same, 1 Q:

why the firepower?

a 30 round mag? how big of a war do you expect to encounter?

how many of these mags do you have?!

I still have a few that I got for $3 each. Ah, those were the days! I’d have to look, but I think all of my 30-rd. mags are military surplus. There might be one or two Colts in the lot, but I don’t remember and I don’t think so.

BTW: I’ve “retired” my Colt AR-15. I like the “AR-15A2” and the CAR-15 I built just fine, and they aren’t making any more AR-15 Sporters. I’ve thought it would be cool to build a replica, but A) pre-ban lowers are hard to find or very expensive; B) the lowers have the “ribs” on them to protect the mag. release (and bolt release?); and C) when was the last time you saw an upper without a forward-assist? Still, it would be cool with a chrome bolt carrier and an old three-prong flash supressor.
Actually, given lots of money and a location that doesn’t frown on such things, I’d like to build about five or six more AR-15s in different configurations. I’d also like to get a 26" barrel for my SAR-8 for target shooting. What can I say? I like variety.

Happyheathen, it’s not a matter of needing such things in ways we can justify to others. Sometimes having something that others think we shouldn’t be allowed is reason enough.

Almost forgot my “10/22” I found a target stocked 10/22 in my favorite shop and on inspection found it was an AMT custom shop sportsman team challenge model. Only a few were made. Stainless steel reciever bedded into a McMillan Anschütz style target stock. Extra, extra heavy stainless barrel threaded into the reciever and free floated. I got the rifle for less than what an unfinished McMillan stock would have cost. It’s a back burner project as the Weaver T24 scope went to the Savage and I’m still looking at a better trigger to install in the AMT.

I guess I’m no longer eligible, but I had a really nice Chinese SKS carbine with a folding stock, bayonette, and 30 clip. I don’t think it was legal with the stock and clip… But I had to pawn it when times were tough and ended up losing it.

For me it was, I may not be able to buy one in the near future(if certain people get their way, particulary if this MD thing turns out a certain way) and no new magazines are able to produced.

That’s usually enough for most people I’ve talked to.

Though I don’t have to justify owning one unless other people have to justify owning land yachts or SUVs.

Though the rest of my firearms are a variety, with the only other military-type rifle being a 1903A3 springfield (a bolt action with a 5 round magazine).

BTW, Do I have to sign any forms to join the SDMB Black Rifle Club?

-Why buy a $55,000 sports car capable of 185 mph when the speed limit is 65?

-Why have a 2-Ghz PC with CD-R/DVD and 512Mb RAM when all you do is surf a few message boards and E-mail grandma?

-Why have a riding lawnmower with headlights when your lawn is only 40 feet square?

-Why put a $9,000 soundsystem in your car and then just listen to the radio on your ten minute drive to work?

-Why buy a $10K plasma flatscreen TV when all you watch is The Simpsons and Adam Sandler movies on VHS?