SDMB Diplomacy 2004. Shall we play a game?

OK, that makes sense. So I could theoretically have an infinitely huge number of forces (where inifinity = 34 - or 18 - plus some more in non-SCs). The best strategy (ignoring diplomacy itself) is to constantly move forces out of my home country to other SCs, and constantly augment them from within my country?

It seems like this way, assuming unimpeded progress and a steady supply of SCs outside of my country, I could expand my forces by 3 every year, and thus having – in theory – 18 forces by winter of 1905. Is that correct?

Oh dear. What have I got myself into! 24 pages of rules. And I am the laziest person I know. Oh well, when my printer finishes the job (in about 3 hours) I’ll read them.
I’ve probably already doomed myself somehow by waiting this long to pay attention to the game.

No, I don’t think so. I learned it in about 3 hours, and had to ask just a few questions. Once you get past a few sort of weird concepts, the rest becomes pretty clear. And you have a week to write your first orders.

I even have a copy of the game! So I should be dead good. But I have never played. Willing to give it a go though, if we can manage 7. My contact is zimazama1001 AT yahoo.com.

Bagsy not Austria.

C’mon! I’m kicking ass as Austria in a Cat23 game right now. I’ll be at 7(!!) by Fall02 and will already have and Italian SC under my control.

If only your neighbours were that co-operative all the time!!! :wink:

Grim

Update!

Due to play absence our first turn is now scheduled for November 3rd.

I may have a hangover.

At time of posting or at time of processing orders?

Grim

Let’s just say if I were you guys I’d be REAL careful to get orders in on time…

Just in case.

Nate, check your email.

Isn’t it nice he knows my real name?

Dateline: London, 1901. AP. The King is dead! The British monarchy fell this morning as the King was pulled from his throne and put to the torch in a Burning Man ritual. Fascist leader ShibbOleth has taken control of the UK and is currently ordering his military into high alert!

Better Nate than lever, I always say.

Let’s be clear on this. Things in England were being run as efficiently as most people would have liked. Sure, there was lots of nice pomp and circumstance, but the trains weren’t on time, Sterling was lower against competing currencies and many people were unable to find work. It was decided, by the Generals, Admirals and myself, that this situation could be remedied by a more, shall we say “Martial” regime. Things are presently back in fine working order. Some civil liberties were sacrificed, but as the recent situation overseas indicates, the populace are more than happy to sacrifice for the good of their leaders. This is how it should be.

Now, sadly, in any change for the good some sacrifice is bound to happen. Unfortunately in the transition to power some orders and communications were lost. Your diplomats are (mostly) unharmed*, but we had to make some unilateral decisions for this year. I’m sure that you’ll all understand. Forwith I am available for all discussions of international agreements that will be for the good of our people.

Kind Regards,

Commandant Shibb

*There was a most unfortunate incident with the Turkish diplomat and a cheese grater. Suffice to say that he will not be returning to Istanbul, at least not in one piece. My apologies and I promise it’s not likely to happen again if the new diplomat keeps his tongue to himself and shows proper deference.

And we’re off!

Map is at: http://www.wooleysark.com/dip

Schedule:
Fall 1901 Orders due: Tuesday, November 9, 2004 7AM Eastern US Time
Winter 1901 Orders due: Thursday, November 11, 2004 7AM Eastern US Time
Spring 1902 Orders due: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 7AM Eastern US Time

And the orders:

Austria: A Budapest - Rumania
F Trieste - Albania
A Vienna - Tyrolia (Bounce)
England: F Edinburgh - North Sea
A Liverpool - Yorkshire
F London - English Channel (Bounce)
France: F Brest - English Channel (Bounce)
A Marseilles - Burgundy
A Paris - Picardy
Germany: A Berlin - Kiel
F Kiel - Denmark
A Munich Hold
Italy: F Naples - Ionian Sea
A Rome - Apulia
A Venice - Tyrolia (Bounce)
Russia: A Moscow - Livonia
F Sevastopol - Black Sea
F St Petersburg(sc) - Gulf of Bothnia
A Warsaw - Galicia
Turkey: F Ankara - Constantinople
A Constantinople - Bulgaria
A Smyrna Hold

Czar Garius,

I fear my diplomat must be locked up, because obviously you have not listened to my message. I shall take to the international community instead. Your march from Moscow to Livonia worries me; what else could you see except the wonderful city of Berlin? I must warn you to halt - a Russian army in Prussia in the Fall means war. Your moves threaten me, and I react accordingly.

[QUOTE=ShibbOleth]
Now, sadly, in any change for the good some sacrifice is bound to happen. Unfortunately in the transition to power some orders and communications were lost. Your diplomats are (mostly) unharmed*, but we had to make some unilateral decisions for this year. I’m sure that you’ll all understand. Forwith I am available for all discussions of international agreements that will be for the good of our people.

[QUOTE]
I for one, welcome the new overlord with open arms and a barge-pole!! Especially while he chooses Northern climes for his holiday destination - it is well known that the Mediterranean sun is far too harsh for delicate English flesh.

Fondest regards,
grimpixie
El Dupé

P.S. I trust you enjoyed the gift of olives?

Cousin,

It was with much grievance that i learnt of the death of your father. He was a great man - embodying many of the virtues that all noble men strive to find within themselves - and a great ruler - it was through his mastery of the arts of diplomacy and war that Germany was united and thrust to the forefront of the world stage.

Yet unlike most, my sorrow at his passing was not confined merely to my appreciation of the skills of this admirable figure. My own father considered him to be one of his firmest friends and they took to the field many times together. Indeed, many nights of my childhood were spent listening to my father talk of their adventures. Back then i also had the pleasure of spending more time with your father than most, indeed it was he who first taught me how to ride, and it was in his service that i first learned the ways of war.

I feel no shame in admitting that it was to him that i turned after my own fathers death at the hands of the nihilists five years ago. It was he who turned a scared, frightened, and desolute young prince into the Tsar who stands before you now. It was with his help and guidance that i was able to tame the Duma and reform the army so that once again enemies tremble at the approach of Russian arms.

I did not grieve for him as a king who had lost an equal, but as a son who had lost a father.

In light of this, you can imagine that it was with a degree of disappointment that i read your first letter to me on your ascendance to the throne. Though we are merely cousins by blood, i have always considered you to be brother. I have never wished war upon your nation and never would. To do so would be to dishonour the memory of a man who i held in the highest regard. To be accused of such intentions and indeed threatened with repercussions should i chose to do so distressed me greatly.

The Men of my Moscovite Guard have expressed a desire to spend winter in Sweden, where the furniture is cheap and the women are said to be extremely friendly. Who am to stand in the way of such a request? Indeed i feel it is my duty to lead them on this dangerous mission personally.

Sadly this meant going against the orders you so kindly suggested i give them.

I can only assure you once again, cousin, that i have no intentions against yourself or your good nation. I hope that you will trust me on this and that we can continue to work together going forward.

I will give you one word of caution, however. I am a patient and forgiving man, but that patience and that forgiveness is not endless, as sadly your diplomat found out. He should be arriving back in Berlin with my reply shortly. Alas his tongue may take a few days longer - the postal service is just so unreliable these days.

So be very careful cousin, for as we say in Russia “Что посеешь, то и пожнёшь” - “As a man sows, so shall he reap.”

My regards to your family,

The Tsar

[Commandant’s Hat OFF]
If this game lives up to the early missives it should be a very good one. Blood and barbs shall flow like wine.
[/Commandant’s Hat ON, set at a rakish tilt, riding crop tucked firmly under the arm]

El Dupé,

The olives, bread and pasta were all excellent.  Your grapes rival the houses in Bourgogne.   Do not worry your noble Roman brow, I shall visit only at invitation your sunny climes.  

The Commandant

PS It’s nice to see that the Archduke has invited you over to play.

Pah!!

“Let us unite against the threat of the Tzar” he says, “Join me in glorious conquest” he says, “Side-by-side we shall march orientally, crushing all before us!!” he says.

And then what? A quick stab for Berlin while the Hun isn’t watching - that’s what… Italian soldiers tripping over their feet in an attempt to avoid collisions, the might of Rome milling around in confusion - such things are unheard of!!! Victor Emanuel turns in his grave… the Austrian ambassador is summoned and dressed in children’s clothing for the amusement of all… small, worthless trinkets are distributed to the poor, needy and ignorant…

Revenge is a dish best served with a side order of olives (marinaded in a white wine sauce, with shallots, garlic and a fried egg on top).

:wally
Grim

Shouldn’t you be “Lord Protector”?

Actually, here’s the look I was going for. Of course, he’s a king, but JC said I couldn’t be the king. Lord Protector is good, that was Cromwell’s title, right? Anything as long as I get to keep wearing these terribly butch outfits.