SDMB Diplomacy 2004. Shall we play a game?

Yeah, Cromwell was “Lord Protector” I must admit i’ve always had a soft spot for it and will probably use it when i launch my revolution in real life.

The uniform could work - but it’ll show up any dandruff…

But no one will ever have the courage to mention it, right?

You’ve obviously never met me. No dandruff, no hair to speak of, no class or tact. When I lived in Thailand little kids would come up to me and say “Beck-ham”, although the more informed would say “Stam!” In the States I’ve been told I look like him or him. Anyway, you get the picture.

Very “fascist dictator!”

Yes, it’s what they’re all wearing this season.

Oi!!! I still have all my hair - well, some of it…

:frowning:

Just how a first turn should be. With everyone angry at their neighbors and no alliances readily apparent. I gather lots and lots of promises were broken. Bwhahahaha.

BTW, Shibb, you know that that Tiara you’re wearing was meant for a woman, right?

Don’t tell him that - i gave it to him.

Jealous bitch!

[Cervik] Looks good on you, though…[/Cervik]

Things are getting…complicated. I admit, you guys don’t use the standard moves…

Map is at: http://www.wooleysark.com/dip

There are no retreats.

Builds/Disbands for winter:
Austria may build 2 units. May build A in vie and A or F in tri.
England may build 1 unit. May build A or F in edi or lvp.
France may build 1 unit. May build A in par or A or F in bre or mar.
Germany may build 1 unit. May build A or F in ber or kie.
Italy may build 1 unit. May build A or F in ven or nap.
Turkey may build 1 unit. May build A or F in smy.

Schedule:
Winter 1901 Orders due: Thursday, November 11, 2004 7AM Eastern US Time
Spring 1902 Orders due: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 7AM Eastern US Time
Fall 1902 Orders due: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 7AM Eastern US Time

And the orders:
Austria: F Albania - Greece
A Rumania - Serbia (Bounce)
A Vienna - Budapest
England: F London - North Sea
F North Sea - Denmark
A Yorkshire - London
France: F Brest - Picardy
A Burgundy - Munich (Fails)
A Picardy - Belgium
Germany: F Denmark - Sweden
A Kiel - Ruhr
A Munich - Prussia (Fails)
Italy: A Apulia - Rome
F Ionian Sea - Tunis
A Venice - Tyrolia
Russia: F Black Sea - Sevastopol
A Galicia - Ukraine
F Gulf of Bothnia - Baltic Sea
A Livonia - Prussia
Turkey: A Bulgaria - Serbia (Bounce)
F Constantinople - Bulgaria(ec) (Fails)
A Smyrna - Ankara

Current Standings:
Austria: Supp 5
England: Supp 4
France: Supp 4
Germany: Supp 4
Italy: Supp 4
Russia: Supp 4
Turkey: Supp 4

Quite interesting … :dubious:

Wow. The new guy ain’t doin’ too shabby.

Yeah, that’s an interesting open. Austria got lucky, Russia got turned around, and Germany got screwed. If you guys don’t want outsiders opining on your game, let me know.

Why isn’t this a Cat23 game?

I’m open for a game, if another one does start. I’d love to see the end of a normal game. For the record, I consider 1163 a win.

Dave was thinking about running a game but Ginger due any day now and I’m betting he’s a bit distracted.

Well, he better be, anyway.

Who ran 1163? Tweren’t me.

What, she wasn’t expecting three weeks ago when he offered? :smiley: That’s a very good reason not to run a Dip game. I’ll find one elsewhere, or wait until the next one comes up.

He ran 1163, and he wasn’t a fan of NMR, and that was taken advantage of early and often. With the Aberration map as large as it is, keeping the game moving is essential, I think.

I like to think of it as more of a strategic repositioning - shame i had to sacrifice the opportunity for a build to do it though.

I blame those line Russian lines of communication.

Wikkit, if you put together some folks I’d be willing to run a slower moving game. I’m a bit busy to adjudicate every couple of days, but could do about a week or so a year pace. Munch was talking about starting a game with some friends (all newbies) so you might broach the subject with him if he hasn’t got something going.

Garius, if you haven’t read it, Solzhenitsyn’s August 1914 is a fascinating look at how events unfolded for the Russian’s along the German front during the first month or so of the Great War. Lots of bad communications and ineptness. According to the author one of the reasons the Russians weren’t totally crushed right off the bat was the German generals couldn’t believe an army could be so inept and therefore thought the Russian manouevers were a ruse. Classic, and explains a lot of my moves in Dip as well. Ineptness and misorders over strategy every time. I think I’ve even inadvertently attacked myself before.

I’ll probably just wait for the next game, it doesn’t look like there are enough dopers to keep two games going. I’d rather not be the odd man out in game between friends (again).

What are the chances of getting a group together for World Masters 2004?

I’ve already got my team mostly assembled from the Cat23 Veterans.

I know Dave said he might start a team but again…he’s distracted.

Why don’t YOU try to put a team together? There are enough players here (discounting me) to get it done.