SDMB Fantasy Baseball 2007

[QUOTE=Wilson]
And enjoying fantasy baseball in my opinion you just need a very strong love of baseball, and at least a passing familiarity with the stats being discussed… we’re not using extremely obscure stats, but if you’ve never heard of On Base Percentage, Holds or Slugging Percentage, this may not be the league for you. If you’ve got an opinion on who will be better next year, Jeff Weaver or Jeff Suppan; if you feel certain in your heart who is more likely to fall to earth between Bill Hall, Brian McCann or Dan Uggla; and if you can name at least three candidates for the Red Sox closer’s spot, than fantasy baseball is for you.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the response! I’m familiar with the definitions of the stats, so I think I’ll be able to hold my own in theory, at least. What I’m hoping this will do for me is force me to pay more attention to the players on teams other than my own. I hate when the playoffs start (from which the Dodgers are inevitably absent or about to make a quick exit) and I find myself not having any familiarity – beyond name recognition – with players from other teams.

Please do count me in. I can’t get enough of watching baseball, so I may as well have some incentive behind it.

Thank you Wilson and Chitwood for the holds explanation and link.

If there’s room I’d like to play. I’m a fantasy baseball vet…

[QUOTE=Jimmy Chitwood]
Although, for the purposes of full disclosure and all that, it’s probably best that everybody be aware that by “a couple of hours,” The Old Man Formerly Known as Kiros means something like 3 and a half hours, if I recall correctly. And since this league’s looking bigger than any we’ve ever had, you can bump the duration up accordingly.
[/QUOTE]

Ouch, things got nasty while I was away :slight_smile: The first year I did it, so three years ago, it was about three and a half. It’s gotten shorter each of the past two years - partially because we had near-perfect attendance that first year (that we haven’t really approached since), partially because people got more experience with what was involved and scouted their drafts more deeply, and partially because it’s a lot easier to come up with names for the 23rd round when you recognize them from the year previous. Even if they’re pitchers with fewer elbow ligaments than they had the year prior, or hitters who are now playing year-round in Mexico, or…

Actually, I mostly mentioned the time because for past drafts, I was a College Student, Sleep be Damned, and for this draft I’ll be an Employed Person with an Hour Long Commute to my 8am Start Time Job. So I guess you COULD call me an old man this time. :smack:

[QUOTE=Wilson]
and if you can name at least three candidates for the Red Sox closer’s spot, than fantasy baseball is for you.
[/QUOTE]

Hansen, Delcarmen, Timlin… heck even Tavarez was a decent backup closer for St. Louis, if he’s not traded. But I’m in if there is room. I’m not in a league yet so I can devote my undivided attention. Email is in my profile.

Not to scare anyone off, but if you’re not willing and able to check on your team at least 2-3 times a week, if not more, this probably isn’t the league for you. Signing up for this league means being in it for the long haul, even if you’re mired in the cellar the entire year.

Any thoughts on a league name? Kris Benson’s out for the year, so another Anna Benson-themed name is out.

For a league name: Overpaid Lefty Pitchers? What about Big Sweeping Curveballs? Steroids In My Butt Please? Backne and Small Balls?

[QUOTE=brianjedi]
Not to scare anyone off, but if you’re not willing and able to check on your team at least 2-3 times a week, if not more, this probably isn’t the league for you. Signing up for this league means being in it for the long haul, even if you’re mired in the cellar the entire year.
[/QUOTE]

I know it’s a lot to ask for you to trust some guy with an email address who you don’t know, but I really am interested.

[QUOTE=bigbabysweets2000]
I know it’s a lot to ask for you to trust some guy with an email address who you don’t know, but I really am interested.
[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t singling anyone out in particular. I’m just making sure everyone knows how seriously we take this league. There’s a reason we all keep coming back.

And no-one has yet named the favorite for the Boston closer job, at least by some reports…

That would have to be Joel Pineiro. Though if he’s not over the hill and can revert to prior form, I think Brendan Donnelly is an interesting option.

Even though the Roid Boys were in the mentioned cellar most of the year, I took pride in being able to waiver them up to 14th place. :smiley:

[QUOTE=brianjedi]
I wasn’t singling anyone out in particular. I’m just making sure everyone knows how seriously we take this league. There’s a reason we all keep coming back.
[/QUOTE]

I wasn’t complaining, I was campaigning :smiley: .

Bump, since today is the 15th - is someone getting this started? I can if no one else is, of course, but I know we had been talking about it earlier… let’s get it going, either way!

Registration has been delayed until tomorrow. It looks Yahoo is planning on revamping their entire fantasy section tonight.

“Yahoo! will undergo a site-wide system upgrade beginning Thursday, February 15th at 10:00pm PST and ending Friday, February 16th at 4:00am PST. During this system upgrade you will not have access to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports games. Thank you for your understanding.”

Yeah, I saw that when picking up Darko in the SDMB league.
Grr.

Only have BlackBerry access until late tonight. If no one else has done it by then I will.

Ah, I love my BlackBerry.

We shouldn’t be that rushed to do it. We should be fine. Besides, we need a final count of people that want in so we can see what our options are.

Snap. Ah, well, tomorrow, then.

I think we should open one with the rules we have been using (18 teams, 6x6, depth galore), make sure the defending champion (Petelin) gets in and otherwise fill it up, and then look into doing a second league if we have people who are left out. Maybe try some rules variations, maybe do some sort of keeper league if someone wants to take the effort to run it (definitely more involved than a normal league), maybe do something completely off the wall.

I’ll be happy to run one or the other as necessary, or just draft/pay attention/play as needed.

I was planning on starting a league - since there hadn’t been a whole lot of people clamoring to be commissioner. As I’ve said, I’m fine either way being commish or not.

I don’t have a witty league name yet. Been trying to come up with some riff on Dice-K, Peavy in the airport, or Pujols the Citizen, but nothing yet. Not enough scandals this offseason…

It definitely looks like we have more than enough interest for two leagues this year!