SDMB Monthly Photo Competition - rolling discussion thread

Wow! With so many entries that really rocked, I’m truly honored to have another winner.

For October: “Look Up!”

If you want to “Look Up!” the October poll, it is here.

mmm

@Jeff_Lichtman , you identified your September entry as a “rock bear”, but it looked more like a triceratops to me.

As promised.

The photo was snapped at the Dee Wright Observatory on the McKenzie-Santiam Pass Scenic Byway. It was built amidst a 65-square mile lava flow.

I don’t recall which peak is in the distance of the photo, because you can see so many of them from that spot. But what has always stuck with me is looking at it, I had the realization that those lava flows are not that old. It’s new rock, only between 2,600-2,900 years old.

Everyone should go spend some time there if they can, IMHO. It provides a unique perspective. :slight_smile:

I was thinking lava flow, but it didn’t look like Hawaii or Craters of the Moon in Idaho, so I was really curious where else that sort of thing is in the US.

And yeah, lava flows like that are pretty universally geologically young. The Craters of the Moon ones are from a similar time frame to the ones you shot. What’s wild is that some of the Native American tribes in the area actually have legends that are thought to be descriptions of the eruptions.