SDMB Oscar Voting: Best Picture

The Oscar ballot for Best Picture is a preferential one, so not only do people vote for their #1 choice, but they list the other nominees they prefer in order, too.

So, for the poll: Which film would get your #1 vote?

And in the reply: In what specific order would you rank the other 8?

#2 - Nebraska
#3 - Her
#4 - Gravity
#5 - Philomena
#6 - The Wolf of Wall Street
#7 - Captain Phillips
#8 - American Hustle
#9 - Dallas Buyers Club

And the winner is…

1.* American Hustle*

also rans, in order:

1. The Wolf of Wall Street
  2. Dallas Buyers Clun
  3. Captain Phillips
  4. Twelve Years a Slave
  5. Her
  6. Nebraska
  7. Philomena
  8. Gravity

And the winner is…

1.* American Hustle*

also rans, in order:

1. 12 Years a Slave
  2. Captain Philips
  3. Gravity
  4. Dallas Buyers Club
  5. Philomena
  6. Her
  7. Nebraska
  8. Wolf of Wall Street

I saw four of them last week, and I’m seeing another five today. My voting so far is:

Dallas Buyer’s Club: 90
Philomena: 65
12 Years a Slave: 90
Wolf of Wall Street: 72

Oh wait, I did also see Gravity earlier: 80

I’ll be back to rate the other four after tonight!

These are fun reading: Brutally Honest Oscar Voter Ballot No. 5 – The Hollywood Reporter

I’m going to be one of those “Vote For My Favorite” voters, not “Vote For What Should Win” voters. Because I can.

#1 - Her

#2 - Philomena
#3 - American Hustle
#4 - Gravity
#5 - The Wolf of Wall Street
#6 - Dallas Buyers Club
#7 - Nebraska
#8 - 12 Years A Slave
#9 - Captain Phillips

Those rankings shouldn’t be read to suggest that I didn’t like the last few. I think they’re all pretty damned good, and I’ll be happy for whatever wins. Her and Philomena stand no chance, and I’m truly thrilled that they were nominated.

For the first time in my life, I’ve seen all the “Best Picture” nominees.

The winner: Gravity

The rest:

1. Philomena
  2. American Hustle
  3. Dallas Buyers Club
  4. Her
  5. Wolf of Wall Street
  6. 12 Years a Slave
  7. Nebraska
  8. Captain Phillips
  1. Gravity
  2. 12 Years a Slave
  3. Nebraska
  4. American Hustle
  5. Dallas Buyers Club
  6. Captain Phillips

Those are the only ones I’ve actually seen, so I suppose I’ll have to rank the rest by their trailers…

1. Her
  2. Wolf of Wall Street
  3. Philomena

A fun day at the movies…

Her:90
Nebraska: 72
American Hustle: 87
Captain Phillips: 65

Her was my favorite of the nine, but it wouldn’t bother me if DBC or 12YaS won.

Her was the best film I saw last year, and the best piece of Science Fiction I’ve seen in a decade or more. It stuck with me.

When I say it was Science Fiction, I mean it. 90% of what is billed as “Science Fiction” is some other genre with SF trappings - a war movie (in space), a horror movie (in space), an action film (in space), etc. This was a film of ideas in a genre that is, at its very best, the literature of ideas.

It shows how few Hollywood “science fiction” films are actually science fiction that this one was not marketed as science fiction. I wouldn’t doubt that the publicists for the film would have objected strenuously if a writer described it as science fiction, so ghettoized has the genre become.

I’ve been wrong in my predictions many, many times, but I’ll make one anyway.

I think there are only two movies with a strong chance of winning: 12 Years a Slave and Gravity.

So, which will win out, political correctness or an amazing visual spectacle?

I’m guessing a lot of people don’t really like 12 Years as much as they pretend to, and will vote for Gravity.

[QUOTE=astorian;17155871So, which will win out, political correctness or an amazing visual spectacle?

I’m guessing a lot of people don’t really like 12 Years as much as they pretend to, and will vote for Gravity.[/QUOTE]
Wow, what a pretty detestable characterization–that the only reason a brilliantly acted, exceptionally written, movingly directed, and powerfully rendered film might win is because of “political correctness”. I guess the Jews bought all of Hollywood when Schindler’s List won, too, eh?

My preferential order is …

1. Her
  2. Gravity
  3. Twelve Years a Slave
  4. Captain Phillips
  5. Philomena
  6. Dallas Buyers Club
  7. Nebraska
  8. The Wolf of Wall Street
  9. American Hustle

I liked all of them, but I personally find American Hustle to be vastly overrated. It might have been that I heard all the hype before seeing it but I was pretty underwhelmed.

Of the ones I’ve seen…

#1 - Dallas Buyers Club
#2 - 12 Years a Slave
#3 - American Hustle
#4 - Nebraska

I haven’t seen the movie. It may indeed be as wonderful as you say.

That doesn’t mean the voters weren’t motivated by a desire to send a political message.