SDMB Pick 'em league

I just saw this and signed up for Straight Up under the name Caridwen.

This week’s spread picks are rough. Last week I just went down the list, only having to give a few a bit of thouight. This week, I’m agonizing over half of them.

I really hate potential blowout games where the points are higher than 9. You never know how that’s going to play out.

Reminder to get your picks in.

We had a 100% attendance the first week, it’d be awesome if we could keep that.

Those who need to pick still:

Confidence league:
A Varlos For All Seasons
Shibb’s Unskilled Hacks
Mundi’s Morning Picks
Omni’s Crystal Balls
Isotopes
My Fantasy Team is in Jail

Spread:
Mundi’s Morning Spread
Omni’s Crystal Balls
Shibb’s Unskilled Hacks
Isotopes

Straight up:
Mundi’s Straight Picks
Unskilled Hacks
Caridwen
duffer’s heroes
Embryo Embolism Prevention Co.
Isotopes

I just don’t expect much out of Dallas this year. Plus, the Cowboys seemingly never perform as well when wearing the blue jerseys.

Indeed.

I typically do well in NFL predictions because I have absolutely no bias toward any of the teams. If I tried a fantasy league for college football, then my picks would be too heavily influenced by wishful thinking for me to have success. Though, I doubt I will stay in first place in the Spread’ and Straight Up leagues.

The Vikings’ triumph over the 'Skins in D.C. definitely hurt me in the Confidence League, so I’m sitting in the middle of the pack right now.

Who’s who again, exactly? Can someone compile a list matching our SDMB names to our league names?

(BTW, apparently nine is my lucky number. Close call in Philly! And I’d better stop picking the Skins.)

Much better week for the Court Jesters, my team. Try as I might, I couldn’t match my week 1 totals. Went with my heart instead of my head on Dallas/Washington. Still need to figure out the Panthers. Once I give up on them, they’ll start winning.

I was going to brag about how great my confidence league picks were (120/136) but almost everyone did really well. That’s bound to happen when the favorites win a lot in a weekend.

Congrats to Fear The Turtle with a remarkable 128/136.

8 of our 13 players in the spread league were 10 or 11 against the spread. Very nice.

Fear The Turtle also won the straight up league with another remarkable 15/16.

(Who is that?)

Do you guys want to set it up to drop people’s worst week, or weeks, from the score?

Varlos missed a week, and since he’s way behind, he’s going to quit. If his worst week was dropped, he could get over it and keep going.

I’m not sure how I feel - our participation has been really good to this point and I like the idea of keeping a true score, but it wouldn’t bother me if we wanted to drop a week or two to prevent people who missed a week from getting thrown out of the race. What do you guys think?

(Btw, Varlos, I suggest you make picks for this week. That way if we end up changing it, you’ll only have one absent week instead of two. I tried to e-mail you to tell you that, but yahoo says your account is expired or disabled - the mail account, I assume, not the whole account)

Tough week this week. Especially in the confidence league. I almost went straight down the favorites list for the straight up week, but setting confidence numbers to these games was difficult. There were very few clear games.
Reminder, those who haven’t picked yet (including the survival league):

Varlos (if he wants to keep picking until we decide on the dropped week issue)
Mundi’s Morning Picks
Caridwen
NurseCarmen’s soft underbelly
duffer’s heroes
Don’t Die on Me!
Shibb’s Unskilled Hacks

I’m OK with dropping the worst week for everyone. Lord knows I’ll need it (9 both weeks!).

I’ve always played that you drop the worst week and I think it’s a good system. I also like the idea of keeping a true score but I won’t feel any less victorious when I spank you guys while dropping a week.

Off topic a bit, but the whole quitting because you miss a week is pretty lame IMHO. Not to be too hard on Varlos but it’s a bit fatalistic. In years past I always missed a couple weeks and never contended for the over all, but I made picks every week I could have took plenty of joy in winning individual weeks.

We should decide to drop a week on it’s merits, not because people who forget picks will decide to quit on us. I say this with the full admission that I’ll probably miss a week at some point myself.

Huh…interesting – I thought setting that was something that had to be done before the game got under way, but I just checked the commish tools and found that it can be done at any time.

Well, I’m fine with dropping a week. Unless there is dissent, I’ll make the change to the standard pool later this week.

Please drop a week! I missed the first week and it looks like I’m last.

BTW, I always do my picks on Saturday night. I didn’t want you to think I’m not doing them.
You have no idea how long it takes me to make my picks and still be so terrible at it.

I’m not trying to badger people, I just like to go through saturday afternoon and issue a reminder. I know some people like to do it really late… I just don’t want the participation to drop off as it often tends to do… sometimes people wait till Saturday, then it slips their mind, then they’re behind a week and give up…

Im up for dropping a week.

What number should we drop, do you think? Is 1 enough, or is 2 or even 3 (out of 17, remember) better?

Top 3 scores for each league this week (in the order that they appear on my yahoo fantasy team list…) with ties, of course:

Confidence league

1. Transcontinental Tricycle 85 (That’s me. Woot)
  2. Isotopes 83
  3. Team of Scientists 78

Spread league:

1. SenorBeef’s delicious picks 8
  2. Court Jesters 8
  3. Frosted Glass 7
  4. Isotopes 7
  5. My Fantasy Team is in Jail 6

Straight up (I’m only listing top 2 here because more than half the league is in the top 3):

1. duffer’s heroes 11
  2. Fear the Turtle 10
  3. soulmurk’s softies 10
  4. Chitwood 10
  5. Embryo Embolism Prevention Co. 10

The top 3 scores overall (all weeks):
Confidence league:
1 Transcontinental Tricycle 296
2 Fear the Turtle 290
3 Omni’s Crystal Balls 289

Spread league:
1 Shibb’s Unskilled Hacks 25
2 SenorBeef’s delicious picks 24
2 Frosted Glass 24
2 ArchitectChore 24
2 Omni’s Crystal Balls 24
6 Court Jesters 22
6 Fear the Turtle 22

Straight up:
1 Fear the Turtle 35
2 soulmurk’s softies 34
3 Omni’s Crystal Balls 33

To toot my own horn - based on yahoo’s tiebreaker criteria, I won the week in the spread league, meaning that I was top scorer in 2 leagues this week.

Since there’s no objection, I’m going to switch the leagues to drop a week this week. Or should it be two?

I’m not wild about dropping weeks (and this from someone who has had fairly bad weeks and shall certainly have them in the future). So if we’re going to drop I’d prefer to keep it to one week.

I’ve changed the straight-up pool to drop one week.

The other groups have been changed to drop a week.