SDMB Pick 'em league

I’m in. Signed up for all 4 as Fear the Turtle.

Anyone interested in ESPN’s Gridiron Challenge? It’s one of those kind where you pick a lineup each week based on players salaries and a cap. By assigning the salaries, ESPN does a lot of the work for you so it’s not as involved as a regular league. Kinda Fantasy Light.

Go to http://games.espn.go.com/gridiron/frontpage for details. Free registration at ESPN is required. I’ll set up a league if there’s any interest.

Looks interesting. I’d try it.

Look out, the Court Jesters are here.

OK. I’ve created a league called SDMB, password “cecil” (w/out the quotes). I’ll put this in a new thread also in case anyone is interested but not following this thread.

Start getting your picks in… at least for the Miami-Pittsburgh game. All the leagues are set up to let you pick it 5 minutes before each game starts, but best not to cram at the last minute.

Anyone who wants to sign up till then is of course free to do so. Looks like we have a pretty good showing - hope everyone sticks around.

I’m in for 4 of them, in various forms of NurseCarmen or NC.

You guys don’t have to concern yourselves with getting your picks in on time, the outcome is already decided now that Omni’s Crystal Balls are in the house.

Giving this one last bump as Zero Hour approaches. All relevant info found in post #38.

Is there an easy way to access these groups after we have joined?

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com - assuming you have cookies on and can stay logged in. Summary of all your Yahoo! sports games and such.

When is the Miami v Pittsburgh game?

In an hour.

Just as a reminder, the following haven’t entered picks. If you happen to know them, remind them. BTW - if you miss tonight’s game, you can still put in picks for Sunday. You’ll be a little behind, but not the end of the world. And you can just enter your pick for tonight’s game now, and the rest later, if you’re crammed for time.

Confidence league:
Team of Scientists
A Varlos For All Seasons

Surprisingly, the other 2 leagues are all picked. Good turnout.

Good thing you all had mentioned the game here, or I would have totally missed it. I remembered they started with a Thursday game last year, but hadn’t seen anything about it, maybe because I don’t see much network TV.

FWIW, from the bits I saw the Dolphins secondary looked very shaky and helped make Batch look good. I thought, going in, that both defenses were equally good and the difference would come down to Culpepper vs Batch.

Top 5 (more for ties) in each league for the week:

Confidence:
1 The Narn Regime 117
2 NurseCarmens earwig collection 104
3 Omni’s Crystal Balls 100
3 oft disappointers 100
5 No Use For A Name 98

Spread:

1 Shibb’s Unskilled Hacks 10
1 ArchitectChore 10
3 SenorBeef’s delicious picks 9
3 Omni’s Crystal Balls 9
5 Mundi’s Morning Spread 8
Straight up:

1 ArchitectChore 13
2 soulmurk’s softies 12
2 Omni’s Crystal Balls 12
4 Flaming Pustules 11
4 Deep Fried Demons 11
4 Mundi’s Straight Picks 11
4 NurseCarmen’s soft underbelly 11
I did way better against the spread than I did straight up.

D_Odds, while your fantasy team may end up kicking my ass, I may start betting against your picks at the sports book… :slight_smile:

I would’ve almost ran the week in the spread league if not for my hatred of non-Browns AFC north teams. I got every AFC North pick wrong. If not for that bias, I go 13/16.

I’m surprised everyone took the Patriots at -9 against the Bills (2 out of 12 didn’t) - I expected the Patriots to dominate the game, but I expected it to be a slow, methodical, relatively low scoring game - and I couldn’t pass up 9 points.

Almost everyone (10/12) whiffed on the TB game, myself included.

In the straight up league, 18 of 19 of us whiffed on the Car/Atl game. Perfect 18/18 on the NE game (although how close that one was was a shocker) - that would’ve wrecked people in the survival leagues.

Speaking of which, we only had 2 eliminations this week in that league. Varlos’ Sports Machine didn’t pick, and soulmurk’s softies picked TAM, which I can’t blame him for.

Between the close Seattle and New England games, had they gone the other way, we’d have had 8 more eliminations.

ArchitectChore’s pick of Jac was the gutsy call of the week. Mundi’s Morning Survival’s silly pick of NOR deserved to get him out, but alas, my Browns laid a big, fat, Ted Washington-sized turd. :frowning:

Btw, next year we should make a rule saying that people should include their SDMB name in their “team” name. I can’t figure out who a bunch of people are.

I’m going to savor this, for it sure as heck ain’t going to last. I really suck at confidence apparently.

That would be a very, very smart move. I could have done better by picking preferred team colors. Usually, I have 1-2 really rotten weeks per season. Hopefully, this season is only 1 and it is out of the way.

That is Lady Fried method and she does infuriatingly well sometimes.

Same with my mother-in-law. It drives me nuts how many pools she wins that way.