SDMB Secret Santa Gift Exchange 2017

Ooooh, I did this last year for my first Christmas and it was fun! Long story short, raised as Jehovah’s Witness, not allowed to celebrate anything, left the cult, got shunned, now do holidays with my wife. We’re all geared up for our second this year.

I’m going to have to say no to all food items. I’m a picky eater for one, but I’ve also developed wicked lactose intolerance issues and it’s just safe to stay away from the food zone.

As far as interests, I like gadgets. I also like sports (football, basketball, baseball, hockey). It might be cool to get something reflective of your area or where you live if your area is known for something specific. Another idea would be to get something non-religious but Christmas-y that you like. We’re starting from square one on decor though we bought a ton of stuff last year for the house and tree. I don’t know, I usually have a hard time figuring out what to get myself, lol, so hopefully I’ve given you something to go on there.

I just signed up, even though I’m not exactly sure how it works. Do you pair us with someone and then we exchange gifts with that person? But then Santa wouldn’t be a secret, would s/he?

Is it more of a Round Robin, where A gives to B, and B gives to C, C gives to D, and D gives to A? So we don’t ever know who our Santa was? Can someone 'splain it to me.

I’m in anyway. I like cookbooks, especially regional/local/church-lady type books, sprinkled with stories and anecdotes. I like (pierced) earrings, dangly, and borderline tacky. I also like scarves and shawls in autumn-y and earth tones (except actual beige).

Yep, it’s more of a Round Robin. Silvorange will send you the address of one person and send your address to another person, so you won’t know who your Secret Santa is until your gift arrives in the mail. it is much fun and one of my favorite holiday traditions.

Me! I love music and recently returned to playing flute after many years away from it. No allergies.

I like chocolate, local specialties, handmade stuff, anything having to do with crochet (yarn, hooks, finished objects).

The flute is such a lovely instrument. :slight_smile:

Thank you **Silvorange **for organizing this exchange.

I’m in! I like cat figurines (quirky rather than cutesie), jewelry (pierced ears) and scarves/shawls/cowls, and funky socks. I like bicycling. Food is awesome (no allergies). Homemade or regional are awesome as well. Colors: the turquoise/purple/teal/blue range. Whatever it is, I’m sure I’ll love it!

22! Let me know if I’ve missed anyone.

We did Thanksgiving with my in-laws today, so I’ve moved on to Christmas even if the rest of the country hasn’t. While we were out shopping for boring stuff tonight, my daughter told me yet again how much she wants a certain doll that she has been eyeing for a month. She also fell in love with another one in the same aisle that she said was so perfect it was like it was made for her. Little does she know, I’ve had both dolls hidden in my closet for a week!

1. Silvorange
2. EmilyG
3. Sir T-Cups
4. The Butterfly’s Ghost
5. swampspruce
6. Reepicheep
7. Anaglyph
8. Filbert
9. purplehorseshoe
10. Rhiannon8404
11. slightly askew
12. rocking chair
13. harmonicamoon
14. carnut
15. TruCelt
16. melondeca
17. Nayna
18. ThelmaLou
19. justanothermike
20. Sarabellum1976
21. freckafree
22. RivkahChaya

A final week bump!

Out of curiosity, how does the list so far compare to previous years … longer, shorter?

… most shameless bump EVAH

I’m on the list. Hanukkah is Dec. 12-20, so no point in holding back to the 25th if you get me!

This is my 5th year doing it. Stats so far:

24 in 2013
42 in 2014
24 in 2015
29 in 2016

We’ll probably get more before Friday. I haven’t been updating as much as I did in the pre-parenting days, which probably makes a difference.

Wow 2014 was some kind of Christmas! What a jump!

tip-tapping away by phone, but why would you care?

I would love to join in! My husband is justanothermike, and I enjoyed watching him do this last year. (I just lurk here)

I like anything gradient and love colorful things - even better if it sparkles. Art, gift wrapping stuff, stationery, craftiness of all kinds. Every food except mushrooms and whipped cream. Turtle, hedgehog, octopus, and bats are some of my favorite animals. I garden every spring and summer. Caffeine free tea - that’s the only thing I drink except for water.

I’m excited to go shopping for someone here! :gift:

We’re almost there!

1. Silvorange
  2. EmilyG
  3. Sir T-Cups
  4. The Butterfly’s Ghost
  5. swampspruce
  6. Reepicheep
  7. Anaglyph
  8. Filbert
  9. purplehorseshoe
  10. Rhiannon8404
  11. slightly askew
  12. rocking chair
  13. harmonicamoon
  14. carnut
  15. TruCelt
  16. melondeca
  17. Nayna
  18. ThelmaLou
  19. justanothermike
  20. Sarabellum1976
  21. freckafree
  22. RivkahChaya
  23. BludgeonMeSoftly **

Happy Thanksgiving! It’s not too late to sign up!

Happy AmericanThanksgiving!

Did I miss it?

I haven’t gotten my message yet, so I assume not?

I’m in. Sent an email from the SDMB profile.

Tripler
I promise I won’t send radioactive material.

25 and closed.

1. Silvorange
2. EmilyG
3. Sir T-Cups
4. The Butterfly’s Ghost
5. swampspruce
6. Reepicheep
7. Anaglyph
8. Filbert
9. purplehorseshoe
10. Rhiannon8404
11. slightly askew