SDMB Short Fiction Contest, late 2011/early 2012 edition - Logistics Thread.

I just submitted my story. I’m well under the word limit, which is nice because I didn’t have to hack out anything. The goal this time was speed, and I think I did well finishing in under 2 hours.

Two hours?! Great!!
I too work on the speed system and give myself 3 hours - I need to practice how to write quickly and not overdo it with re-writes.
Hope to have the three hours time sometime soon!
(Maybe I will try to match or beat your two hours!)

Okay, mine has been sent. Seems like we’ll have plenty of stories in this one–I’m looking forward to the anthology!

I wasn’t really trying to challenge myself for creative purposes, I just don’t *have *a lot of time and I know if I leave it and come back to it later I’ll probably make wholesale changes and get frustrated. I barely even proofread it after I wrote it.

I’m really looking forwadrd to seeing everyone’s stories. Too bad we have to wait over a week!

I think I recall that, in a few past contests, Le Ministre began the anthology thread early, but didn’t establish the poll until the proper date and time. So we may see stories sooner, rather than later.

Gah, mine’s not going to make it and I just flushed it. It just wasn’t going well and I had a couple of fires to put out which pulled my focus. I’ll try again later.

Submitted mine a few minutes ago.
Beat my record (but not Barkis’) by completing it in 2 1/2 hours.

Looking forward to reading them all.

Just sent mine, warts and all, as usual I welcome the harsh criticism from a tough crowd as this is the best way to learn IMHO.

Alas, fruit flies like a banana, and I’ve had no inspiration. Perhaps next time.

Still time to enter and write a story!

And for those of you who have decided not to enter this time, please join in reading them all and voting! We usually have a dearth of readers and it would be great to have more people to comment on the stories - I know it helps me when I read the comments from others.

I’m glad my story did get through. This is the first time I’ve participated in one of these. My story was a short short, under a thousand words. Hopefully it will make sense, and is based on an actual incident. I’ll tell about that when the contest is over.

Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. The light didn’t go on for me, either.

Somebody should put a character in their story who constantly quotes Groucho Marx punchlines without any set-ups. :smiley:

All right, I need to make a confession: I usually wait until the end to send for the prompts because I’m really bad at math. So…say I send for them at 6 p.m. TH, when do I have until? Saturday morning?

elfkin477, if you receive the autoreply at 6:00pm Thursday, you then have 60 hours, or two and a half days to complete and send your submittal. That means Sunday @ 6:00am.

Now you see why I wait until the last 2 days…:smiley:

I found a good day to tinker with my story (on and off), and luckily it worked out good enough for a submission, I think. I do wish I did have another 1000 words, as i would’ve really liked to explore the last leg of my idea before I tuned over the “ace”. But I’m happy with it, and as always, it was good fun. I especially liked the theme.

Anyhow, I just submitted mine, but lacking an editor, of course I’m just finding typos now. Is it okay to re-submit fixing the typos if I’m still within the 60 hours?

Within the 60 hours - I don’t see why not. Please do me a favour, though, and slip some sort of ‘revised version’ into the file name so I don’t accidentally publish the wrong one. Don’t laugh, you lot - it’s easier to screw up than you might think…

Thanks, Le Min… I’m going to resend this to you with vBulletin coding in a txt doc. Should save you the trouble of having to reformat much at all, if you’re cool with that?

I was also thinking of resubmitting after finding a word that didn’t quite fit, but then I forgot about it. Oops. Hopefully no one will notice…