SDMB Short Fiction Contest, late 2011/early 2012 edition - Logistics Thread.

I am determined not to let work ruin it for me this time. I missed two in a row, and I was bummed.

Look forward to it!

The auto-reply is set up and we are off and running. Best of luck to everyone.

Whew! I almost screwed this up! I saw this part of the instructions:

…and skimmed right over this part:

So of course, I sent for my auto-reply at 9:00 on Tuesday, thinking that would give me almost three full weeks to work on my story.

:smack:

Fortunately, I started on it right away, and then checked back here today to review the rules, and… yikes! Got it in just under the wire.

So I just figured I’d mention this in case anyone else had the same reading impairment I did.

Catching up - Heart of Dorkness, I received your story at around 4 PM yesterday. Well done!

For the first time for any of the Poetry Sweatshops/Short Fiction contests, I have to declare myself a drop-out. I knew that time was going to be tight, but between Christmas shopping, cleaning, baking, sorting out kids and a fund-raiser concert on Wednesday night, I didn’t have time to write a word. If I get a chance to write something between now and the end, I may submit it, but it won’t be in the voting.

Meanwhile - any other writers game? So far, Heart of Dorkness wins by acclimation…

I got the prompts earlier today. It immediately brought to mind an idea I’ve played with for years. I should have it in before my deadline. I’m excited by this one, hopefully it turns out well.

In other words, bump.

Well, it’s taken me nearly 32 hours, but I think I’ve finished hatching and outlining my story idea.

I decided that I wanted to do more planning this time instead of just starting writing as soon as the prompt gave me an idea. Hopefully that’ll pay off, and I’ll be able to get something good written in the next 28 hours. (And get some sleep.) :smiley:

The reply to the email I sent said thusly:

“The story must incorporate photograph in the signature file …”

Do I still need to do that? And if so, how is that done?

The image in the photograph should be part of the story. You seem to have free rein in how to do that.

Sig file? Mine had a URL link to a photo on flickr.

Use it the same way you use the words. It doesn’t have to be super literal, just inspirational.

Le Ministre, you have two weeks (well, two weeks less a day from now). I hope we see something from you–your stories are always interesting.

Okay, just sent my story in.

Does anybody else feel like they’d like to have just a few more hundred words to play with in one of these contests? :wink: 2000 is not much. Of course, that would mean longer stories to read during the voting, but still… sigh.

But I do rather like this one!

I occasionally would; and a few times, have found myself editing like mad to get the word count down. But I like the idea of a 2000-word cap. It keeps me from going on too long with unnecessary detail (like Arthur Hailey).

Noted, and thanks. As an ancient former technical writer, I tend to wring out words in instructions until they beg for mercy. And I have a very cool way of incorporating the picture in my story - it’s over halfway done and I’m just working on the weenie now.

Okay, mine’s sent, warts and all! Gotta work tomorrow.

Always. But as someone who also likes to write the occasional sestina, I like challenges with strict limitations too.

Not me. I already find this daunting, and I haven’t even entered yet. I’d like a contest based on 100 words or less. But that’s just me. And I’d probably run out of words right before the

Just sent mine in with minutes to spare. I’m just glad to have gotten something finished after missing out on the last three contests. Good luck everyone!

Submitted just under the wire!

Hello, I’m back, however briefly, and I just wanted to acknowledge that I have received stories from chrisk, Savannah, Jules Andre and jackdavinci. Well done, all of you - I’m sorry to have taken so long to re-assure you that the hamsters have done their work well. I’ve been in a reality-free zone where there is no internet to speak of…

With a little bit of luck, I’ll be around a little more over the next week and change. There are still eleven more days in which to find 60 hours of writing time, for anyone else who wants to try. And yes, I still hope to have something to submit (outside of the poll, of course).

…and there’s a fresh submission from Baker - bravo!