SDMB Wine Club -- Week 16

It’s hot as Hades here at the Wine Club this week, so I would suggest we meet in the west dining room, the one with the terrace out to the grape arbor and pool – that way if anyone wants a dip in the pool they can just wander out through one of the three sets of French doors. Have a seat around the table; help yourself to the grapes, baguettes, and cheese.

This week our sommelier is . . . . :: drum roll :: . . . Swallowed My Cellphone! SmC, you’ll have to barf that cellphone back up to make room for the tasty wine you’ll be trying and recommending. :slight_smile:

Just to remind any lurkers or newbies, SmC as sommelier has a week to pick a wine and post it (hopefully one that is pretty widely obtainable) and then starting next Thursday we all will chime in to praise or damn the selection. Wine club is open to everyone, provided you are legal to drink or willing to lie about that if asked. We welcome new members at any time. :slight_smile:

Last week’s thread is here. Thanks to John Mace for putting that thread up while I was out of town.

Cheers, everyone!

Whew…I thought I was up next because of the reference in last week’s thread and had a wine choice that may not go well with the hot weather.

Jodi, can you re-post the list that you’re working off so that I know when to expect my debut as sommelier? :slight_smile:

I believe this is the list: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pFADjFRQA12oUAOEYDOMHUQ

WHAT?? I’ve screwed up the sommelier??? That’s unpossible! Where’s the embarrassed smiley . . . .

:o :o :o

:: Ahem :: There will be a slight course correction in this week’s Wine Club. This week’s sommelier is in fact thingnumberone. (Sorry thing!) Then Aceospades (if Ace is still playing), then Swallowed My Cellpone. (Sorry SmC!)

Bring on the wine, thing. Apologies, all.

Actually, isn’t that next week? I started the Week 15 thread only 1 week ago.

That post vacation training period is rough :smiley:

Could I screw this up any worse? (Signs indicate “no.”) Not that I’m making a unilateral call, but if people are ready for a new wine (and if thing is ready to recommend), let’s just go ahead. If not, if people want to wait a week, we’ll let the thread fall and I’ll revive it next Thursday.

If we don’t get a lot of posts asking for a postponement, I suggest we just go ahead. You can never have too much wine. :slight_smile:

I’m always ready - let’s forge ahead

Bring it on thingnumberone

I vote for going ahead. :slight_smile:

Hmmm. On the one hand, drinking more wine. On the other hand, waiting a week.

This is a tough one… :slight_smile:

I’m drinking wine whether we do this or not, it’s just a matter of which wine. I could easily do this every week, but I thought you guys set this up on a 2-week cycle.

It probably makes sense to do this one now, since we’re on a roll. Then go back to the 2-week cycle afterwards.

Yeah, let’s go ahead. We did decide on 2 times a month, but speaking only for myself I never intended to be really rigid and dogmatic about it.

[Morticia] Thing, darling, bring us some wine. [/Morticia]

OK, you’ve asked for it…but don’t say I didn’t warn you. :slight_smile:

My pick this week is a big red - the 2005 Juan Gil Jumilla Red wine from Spain. This wine is made from 100% Monastrell grapes (also known as Mourvedre) and is one of my favorite Spanish grapes. It has dark berry, coffee and earthy flavors and is definitely a full bodied red. This one also is better after you let it breathe for a while. I often open a bottle and drink it over several days, and it changes its flavor very significantly.

It find it for around $14 at Applejack, usually not on sale. Hopefully everyone will be able to find it.

If not, either another Spanish Monastrell (preferable) or a Mourvedre (I’m trying one from Cline right now) would be a good substitute.

As a note, this is one of the very few wines made with pre-phylloxera grape rootstock. Monastrell survived because the harsh climate in which it is grown (southeastern Spain) was resistent to the deadly bug that wiped out much of Europe’s wine crops. It is often used as a blending wine, but the pure Monastrell varieties are becoming more and more popular. If you have not had one before, this is an excellent chance to taste a fleeting bit of what the wines in the previous European centuries may have been like.

Ohhh, I’m intrigued - and at least according to their on-line listing it’s stocked locally by Spec’s :stuck_out_tongue:

Kudos, thing, for a pick that will continue to entertain as well as educate.

I’m off tomorrow on the search :cool:

I’ll be heading back to PA soon, and it looks like they carry one Jumilla which, despite the ridiculous name, sounds pretty close.

We just finished a bottle of Cline ancient Vines Mourvedre which we liked a lot.

I’m really looking forward to this one. Love the big reds.

Wooohooo!

Have gone through multiple bottles of the Dongo and it’s become one we try to keep on hand :slight_smile:

I’m excited to hear everyone’s opinion of the wine as I find Monastrell wines to be very distinctive and flavorful.

And Helen’s Eidolon, I also have had the Dongo and like it a lot. I picked it up because of the name. :slight_smile:

Great! I’ve been wanting to expand my wine horizons into Spain, but I didn’t really know where to start. I guess I’ll star with this wine. I didn’t see it on BevMo’s web site, so I’ll have to check a few local wine shops. If anyone in CA finds it somewhere, let me know-- especially if in the Bay Area.