Seafood (again)

Seafood gumbo. Yes, I am from Louisiana. And my gumbo is the best in the world.

Make a roux – it takes a while, but it’s not actually that difficult. Heat about a half-cup of oil on med-high heat, then slowly add a half-cup of white flour, stirring continuously. Keep stirring until the roux is chocolate colored, then remove from heat and put aside. Then, in a big pot, saute chopped onions, green peppers, and celery (about 2 onions, 2 peppers, and an equal volume of celery) in oil. Add a pound of frozen chopped okra (or fresh, if you prefer). Saute and stir all these veggies for about 15 minutes or so. Add about 8 to 10 cups of chicken broth (or water with bouillon cubes). Add the roux and stir.

Season to taste (I use Zatarain’s creole seasoning, garlic, hot sauce, and some salt and pepper) after simmering for 30 minutes or so. Simmer for 2 hours or more (it will be fine after 2 hours and even better after 4-6 hours). Then add the seafood – I like about 3 pounds total catfish nuggets and shrimp, but you can add anything. Turn off the heat about 15 minutes after adding the seafood, and let it cool for a while.

Serve over white rice. This will be enough for a family of 4 for two meals if eaten as an entree. It will be amazing.