Seasonal outdoor chores: Mow the lawn or shovel snow?

One might expect more snow frustration merely on the basis that we’ve been through an unusually bad winter, but even so, the snow is worse.

Mowing is a predictable chore one gets to do on a convenient schedule. Snow removal often has to be done before one can leave for work, or before one can return to one’s driveway. Keeping the rest of life functioning often requires the snow removal but never, I think, the mowing.

I too have to choose off the board for raking.

Mowing is far and away much more annoying.

I cherish the ~4-5 months that I don’t have to deal with it per year.

Getting the gumption to get out there each week (typically on valuable weekend time) is quite irritating.

Definitely snow shoveling. Never have to mow my way out of a parking space at work or mow my lawn at 10pm after coming home from something. And hot is way better than cold, at least in places where it isn’t Dubai hot or something.

I dislike shoveling so much that I usually just put the truck in 4WD and go over the snow.

Mowing is hot, sweaty, grass-clinging, sneezy drudgery that has to be done at least once a week (it was usually more like 3 x every 2 weeks at my house) for months on end that takes multiple hours each time, makes a horrendous amount of noise, and can’t be done piecemeal because that just means you’re falling behind.

And grass never meant that work was closed because the roads were closed!

God. I hate grass.

In fairness, I had a biggish yard but couldn’t use a riding mower because we had a natural spring that would make the ground soggy.

And I’m allergic to just about everything that grows.

Motherfucking grass! :smiley:

When I lived in a place with a lot of snow, I generally disliked shoveling more. But every once in a while there would a night when the slow was gently falling in the glow of the streetlights and the only sound was the scraping of the shovel on the walk, and shoveling was the most peaceful and magical thing.

I have a lot of shovelling to do, and I have a lot of mowing to do (up a steep hill, no less). I still hate shovelling more.

Three weeks ago I had to shovel a path for the snowblower. There’s so much snow it couldn’t clear a path along the side of the house from the back to the front.

That was a first.

Mowing. You have to do it every two weeks. Shoveling you may need to do six times in a very bad winter.

There’s also less area to cover. On the downside, with mowing, no truck comes along just after you’ve finished to puts twice as much grass back.

I got a nice riding mower so I love to mow. I did indeed hate it with a passion when I had a walk-behind mower. Ack!

I think that shoveling might be worse, though. Like RealityChuck said, maybe you don’t have to do it as much some winters BUT you do have to do it when you don’t want to. Or you do it and have to do it again the next day. Or the next hour.

Mowing at least is predictable and spread out. You can even do part of it one day and part of it the next, leisurely-like.

This really is the winner. I have stupid alder trees all over my property and they lose a few leaves every day for three months. There are STILL some leaves that haven’t fallen yet.

Where I live, we have very little snow and I only have to do shoveling every couple of years but I really dislike it. It’s cold and wet and slippery.

Mowing can be done on a pleasant afternoon and is a great substitute for exercise. I throw something on the grill while I’m mowing because summer mowing takes about 2 hours to complete, and that’s most of the work required for a good rack of ribs too. I come in take a shower, grab a beer and sit down to some good food. (Which is not to say that there aren’t days that I grumble about the grass, but it really is something I enjoy more often than not.)

Fewer people have dropped dead of heart attack when mowing the lawn than when shovelling snow.

I live in Alabama. I’ve never shoveled snow. I really don’t mind cutting grass that much. I put on the iPod and hop on the riding mower. The biggest pain is keeping the old mower running. :wink:

Mowing the lawn. I hate lawns on principle, and our own in particular. I much prefer shoveling snow, even though it’s much harder work.

When I lived in town, I did not mind either chore. Mowing is easy and rewarding. It took about one hour every three weeks. Shoveling snow, while rather unpredictable, is also fun to do and can be rewarding. Raking leaves, on the other hand, is not finished until ALL of the leaves are off of the trees AND off of the entire neighborhoods yards. One can rake the yard free of leaves, put the rake away and return to see that the wind has undone all of your work.

In the country here, I have cows for the “lawn” and the Willys for the snow. As for the leaves, I just call them natures fertilizer and watch them fall. Life is good! I do have to clean the gutters twice a year though.

I have a great snow blower, but I still hate using it. In fact I hate everything about winter, and hate it more each year. I can’t wait till summer, when I can bitch about mowing the lawn.

Cayman Caribbean living here. No snow ever and the local tradition for the beach houses is for a sand yard. So I have neither task.

Can I vote putting up hurricane shutters instead?

I live in upstate New York and get plenty of snow but love my four wheel drive. I push the button at the street and wait for the door to start going up and then mash the gas peddle and boogie. Hell with shoveling. Only if I start pushing snow with the bumper do I break out the snowblower.

The grass, I hate it. Looks tidy and nice when it’s done, but when I get home from my shop the last thing I want to do is more work when I get home.

Mowing the lawn is worse. I live in a high rise now and I’ll never do either again if I can possibly avoid it. All of my lawn mowing has been done with a push mower and all my snow shoveling with a shovel. I’m allergic to grass and I had to mow lawns in Florida for 4 years where the humidity was 8 million percent. I’m sure part of my bias is because most of my bad lawn mowing memories come from being in high school and actually having plans or study interrupted when I had to mow the ##### lawn. My snow shoveling memories come from 8th grade and earlier, although some of them were during some very snowy Ohio winters.

I can certainly see that I’d be annoyed if I had to shovel snow after 8 hours in the office. But the memories of mowing grass in high heat and humidity, while being attacked by bugs larger than fighter planes makes me always hate mowing lawns.