Seattle Police...thanks so much

Let me start out by saying that I have nothing against police, in general. They’re doing a mostly thankless, often dangerous, but much needed job, and are deserving of respect.

The Seattle police department, however, seems to consist of people who have forgotten their role is to serve and protect the public and have developed an apathy for the plight of the common man.

Two days ago, our car was broken into at Pike Place Market. My suitcase, containing all my clothes, make-up, toothbrush, medication, etc., as well as my mom’s camera were taken. The security guards at the Market parking lot were wonderful. They came within 5 minutes of being called, took pictures of the damage to the car, took reports on what was missing, and were friendly and helpful through the entire mishap. They eventually even managed to find my suitcase with some, but unfortunately not all, of my clothes inside. Right now, my mom’s camera, my underwear, make-up, and jacket are still missing.

At their instruction, I called the Seattle Police to file a report with them, a must-do in order for insurance to cover the damage and missing goods. I was told an officer would be there shortly and for us to stay with the car and wait for them. An hour later, I called back, and was told to be patient, they were very busy that day and then the dispatcher hung up on me. An hour later, I called back and was told that an officer had been en route but had been called off for an emergency. An hour later, I called once again, and was first told that they had no record of my previous calls, and then told to be patient once again. Forty five minutes later, I called to see if there was some way we could file the report over the phone, as we had to leave Seattle that day. I was told that was doable, and gave them my mom’s phone number in Spokane for them to call and do a report, but of course, they haven’t responded to that either.

Three hours and forty five minutes after first calling the police, we left the market. Within the five miles or so it took us to catch Highway 5, we counted no less than FORTY cops. Four at a Quizzmos deli, two standing on a street corner in front of a bar, four on bikes at the next corner, along with two on horses and two in a van, etc. etc. etc. It seemed that anywhere we looked, there were police. All of these officers were to busy doing exactly what to spend five minutes helping us??? I know an emergency situation would take precedence over a car break in, but you can’t tell me all forty officers we saw were responding to emergencies. No matter how low in precedence a car break in is, it should surely be dealt with within almost four hours.

Just to complete my rant, I’m taking a medication that makes me extremely sun-sensitive. All throughout my vacation, I’ve been studiously avoiding prolonged exposure, wearing lotion, etc. etc. The day we went to the market, I wore shorts and a tank top, as we were going to be inside, rather than out in the sun. I’ve now got a massive sunburn and rash from the tips of my ears down to the tops of my feet. I tried staying in the shade while we were waiting for the police, but it doesn’t seem to have helped much.

Thanks so much for all your help, Seattle police department.
:frowning: :mad: :frowning: :mad:

Maybe they were hungry after answering all those emergencies?

I love cops. Looooove them. My general weakness of men in uniform seems to be doubled where cops are concerned.

But the only time I’ve had to deal with a Seattle cop, he was such a complete asshole as to make me rethink my pro-cop stance. He pulled me over for a minor traffice stop and I was perfectly polite and cordial – never mouth off to people with guns, is my motto – and he in turn was offensive and sarcastic, up to and including telling me I was “stupid” not to have seen a sign I didn’t see. When I gave him my I.D. (then from Montana), he said “I guess they don’t teach people to read in Montana. Or maybe you were just too stupid to learn.” (!) It was a “holy shit” moment, as in “holy shit, I can’t believe how rude this guy is.” He told me he was giving me a ticket, which I said was fine because I guessed I’d earned it, but I in turn would be writing a letter to his supervisor and the chief of police, reporting his rudeness, because I guessed he’d earned that as well. He backed down and didn’t ticket me (though he didn’t apologize either), and I in turn didn’t write the letter. But it left a really bad taste in my mouth.

I know the actions of one pissy cop do not reflect on the force as a whole, but it’s hard not to have a bad opinion when that one encounter is all I have to go on.

I wonder if the Seattle Police and the Virginia State Troopers go to the same training classes. I have NEVER once met a polite trooper in this state - they all seem to have the ‘me man, you woman, me better than you!’ vibe going when they pull over a woman. I’ve been pulled over twice by a trooper and am always polite - I know I’m speeding, I won’t argue, give me a ticket. Do NOT treat me like an idiot and talk to me like a condescending bastard. I do not appreciate it. And several other women who live in VA who’ve been pulled over by troopers have complained of the same treatment. I’ve never heard a man complain of being treated this way, however.

I do like our county cops, though. They seem to be decent guys. I got a ticket a few months ago for rolling through a stop sign, and what was funny was that the second I did it, I saw the cop. So I tried to be nonchalant and drive very slowly past him (he was hidden about 200 yards away, so it was a fair distance from the stop sign), and he pulled me over anyway. I started giggling when he came up to my car, and by the end of the stop, we were both laughing. I got the ticket, but he was nice about it. I’ve never had a county cop treat me the way a trooper has.

Ava

Let me second the above on the VA state troopers. A friend of mine got a speeding ticket and the trooper was so rude (in front witnesses, no less) that the judge dismissed the ticket and reamed the trooper out royally.

OTOH, he got a ticket from a Maryland State Trooper who was so nice that when my friend sent in the fine he also mailed a letter to the Trooper’s supervisor commending him on his professionalism and courtesy.

Michigan state patrol has the nicest and friendliest police I’ve ever met. Moving from Spokane to Boston, I was driving through Michigan a few years ago, I lost a box of books/video games/etc out of my truck. One of the books being my son’s school notebook, which had his name and our previous address in it. Another book was one on surviving domestic violence. They first contacted my soon to be ex-husband at the address in the notebook, trying to find me, but must’ve put two and two together and refused to turn the box over to him and insisted that he give them information they could use to find me instead. They must’ve put alot of effort into it, but one day, out of the blue, I received a phone call from them. They were very concerned about how my son and I were doing, asked if there were anything we needed, if I was sure we were alright, etc. and then mailed the box to me. I was very impressed with their concern and the fact that they’d go to so much effort to make sure the box was returned to me. The Seattle police could learn a great deal from them…sounds like the VA troopers could too.

VA state troopers really are dicks. Even other VA police officers hate them.

Michigan state patrol has the nicest and friendliest police I’ve ever met. Moving from Spokane to Boston, I was driving through Michigan a few years ago, I lost a box of books/video games/etc out of my truck. One of the books being my son’s school notebook, which had his name and our previous address in it. Another book was one on surviving domestic violence. They first contacted my soon to be ex-husband at the address in the notebook, trying to find me, but must’ve put two and two together and refused to turn the box over to him and insisted that he give them information they could use to find me instead. They must’ve put alot of effort into it, but one day, out of the blue, I received a phone call from them. They were very concerned about how my son and I were doing, asked if there were anything we needed, if I was sure we were alright, etc. and then mailed the box to me. I was very impressed with their concern and the fact that they’d go to so much effort to make sure the box was returned to me. The Seattle police could learn a great deal from them…sounds like the VA troopers could too.

Amberlei, I hope you wrote a complimentary note to the squad commander of that group who helped you. The flack and bullshit that they have to put up with on a routine basis can make even one note like yours brighten up their whole day. Please send them a detailed letter and request that it be placed in their respective personnel files. This can make a difference in who gets promoted and who doesn’t. They sound like the sort of people we want in command positions.

You don’t say so, but it sounds like you were in a rental car. Rental cars are favorite targets for thieves, because most tourists seem to put all their valuables in the trunk while visiting popular sites. If you opened the trunk after parking and either took something out or put something in, the thief most certainly was watching and knew he had a good target. This type of snatch and run was the most common complaint to deal with when I was in Lisbon and worked as a duty officer from time to time at the embassy. Tourists always left their passport, tickets, cameras, etc. in the trunk. It’s often difficult to hide a rental car, but you can certainly take the precaution in the future to not let thieves know you have something valuable inside.

Great advice, Chefguy! Always extract or place something valuable in your trunk at another location before parking somewhere.

Yup, I wrote a note to the Michigan State Patrol…I’m still wicked impressed with them. Nope, we weren’t in a rental car, we were in my mom’s. She lives in Spokane…all items were placed in the trunk when we left our hotel in the morning, but we did leave the mapquest directions on the dash…think that was our big mistake.

Update on the police situation…
Called them again Thursday, they said they didn’t have a record of our calling when we were in Seattle or when we got to Spokane, and that we should have called then and waited for an officer to respond…Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Anyways, have a case number now and they’re sending my mom paperwork to fill out and hopefully insurance will at least pay part of the damage to the car.

I’m back home now…yay!

I extend my sympathy. A vacation ruined is a never forgotten sour taste.

Warning to all tourists coming to Seattle: our cops do not, do not, do not care about vehicle theft, break-in, other “petty” crimes. If you come, think smarter than the crooks.

And remember, this is the city of WTO and Fat Tuesday riots. Not exactly a bastion of peace and security.

Tacoma, our neighbor city 25 miles to the south apparently holds the nation’s record for car thefts. A city of something on the order of 200,000. The Tacoma Chief of Police killed his wife and committed suicide just 2 months ago. The PD is also being investigated for helping to cover up police spousal abuse, both by the Chief and patrol officers.

On the other hand, I feel, as an occasional road-tripper through the great state of WA, that I must speak up for their state troopers. Not the city police departments, whose news-reel clips we see here in BC, but the state trooper in particular whose wits kept me alive.

I road-trip solo. It is a great joy in my life. Except when psycho-guy at the rest stop along I-5 decides to make himself known to me.

[smarmy]"It’s not safe for a woman like you to be travelling alone. Let me buy you a coffee and tell you why … "[/smarmy]

“Nooo, thank you! I’m expected in Portland by a bunch of worrywarts. Gotta go. Bye!”

[state trooper]“You’re the REASON it’s not safe. May I see your licence and identification, please. No, ma’am, you should go. Now.”[/state trooper]

Smarmy got into his truck and followed me south down the highway. Just when I had this figured out, the car behind him turned on its lights and pulled him over. I figured I’d better pull over too, and the SAME state trooper sent me on my way. I like WA state troopers.:smiley:

Seattle police are useless tubs of lard. I used to live in Seattle and had several encounters with them.

I had a cop search me because he said I looked like some guy who was selling pot. He went through all my pockets and found some clove cigarettes. He broke each one open looking for pot. A passerby tried to give me his phone number for police harassment, but the cops took the paper with his phone number on it and wouldn’t give it to me.

I had two cops pull me over in my old 63 MG midget. One just wanted to look at it and spent more time asking me questions about my car then anything else. I finally asked him why I was pulled over and he said because he couldn’t tell if I was wearing a seat belt or not.

The second cop pulled me over in the MG because I was “missing the light over the license plate”. HUH?!? Give me a break. I took the extra time to inform him the light was an option on the car and my car didn’t come with one. It also didn’t have side mirrors.

Once I had a party at my house and the police entered the house. Just walked right in and started searching people. They hauled several people off to jail, myself included. Reason? I was in a room where there was a little bit of pot on the table. I got a ticket for possession of under 30 grams. I spent the night in a holding cell. The charge was dropped several days later. I guess they realized they didn’t have any business in the house in the first place.

Someone drove by our house one night and shot out the living room window. It took the SPD about 5 hours to show up. They refused to take a report because “it wouldn’t do us any good anyway”.

Here’s the kicker though. Years ago there was a silly little dance club called “scoochies” near the Seattle Center. I was down there with a friend and we went for a little walk. About 2 blocks from the club we ran into a small gang of 5-6 kids looking for trouble. They started saying I owed them 20 bucks and they wanted it (I had never seen these guys before). I figured I was in for it so I told my friend to get into the nearest public building and I faced these guys. I managed to get back to the club simply by running faster then these guys. It was so close though that one kid had a hold of my hair as I pushed my way through the front doors, ripping my hair out as I went.

Several minutes later some other friends of mine met me back in the club and said they saw the whole thing. One of the gang kids had a gun out and was trying to bead in on me right as I turned a corner. I suppose a half minute later I wouldn’t be here right now.

Anyway, some of Seattle finest showed up to search club kids for drugs or whatever and we went out to tell the story. They kind of half listened and right when they asked what the kids looked like they walked out from behind the building. I said “It’s those guys right there”. The cops said they would handle it and asked me to go home. I figured they’d just search the kids and arrest them on gun charges. As we were driving off we saw the cops get into their car and DRIVE AWAY! They didn’t even talk to the gang kids.

I don’t hate cops, but I do not trust SPD.