Seeking Netflix Anime recommendations

Yes, there have been anime threads but it has been a while. I like (but do not love) anime and there is a lot on Netflix.

To help you here are some series I have watched: (I usually watch Japanese with English subtitles)
Yowamushi Pedal – caught a few episodes at a gaming convention and watched the rest on crunchyroll. I am a bicycle rider (but not a racer) – a bit too many anime clichés but the subject matter kept me in
Knights of Sidonia – I liked the opening music to season 1. I started season 2 but lost interest
Sword Art Online – I really liked this series. I have played MMORPGs, but not in years.
Castlevania – watched a couple of episodes. I liked how the vampire did give the old lady time to evacuate (I don’t even remember the details) I might watch a few more episodes
Avatar the last Airbender – this is OK, but I’d prefer something that skews older (I do like the flying bison)
Some mech series I forget the name of – meh (I do like mechs in general)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brian

I read a lot more manga than I watch anime, but one of my favorite ongoing manga has had a recent anime adaptation and even more recent Netflix America release–Beastars. Try the manga here.

I liked it because it did not shy away from subjects not often seen in kids’ programming, like genocide.

Having said that, there’s an awful lot of GI Joe-esque crew jumping out of something just it explodes. Also an awful lot of people carrying around blades and s
obody gets stabbed.

The Legend of Korra skews more towards teens but had flaws of its own. Also, it isn’t streaming yet; you’ll have to get the disks.

I’ve seen Beastars in my recommended list – maybe I’ll give it a chance.
Forgot to mention I also watched Drifting Dragons – It is obviously about whaling (they even mention ambergris) – but I liked the main character and hey – it has a dirigible!

Brian

I enjoyed Dragon Pilot a lot. It’s worth watching an episode just for the ED, at the very least.

Kakegurui I recommend with a caveat. It’s not…good. What it is is insane in a highly entertaining way. (I also recommend the live action version, because it manages to be even more so.)

Netflix + Anime = One Punch Man, followed by… Rewatching One Punch Man.

You beat me to it, that would have been my recommendation as well.

Unfortunately, Netflix doesn’t carry dubs of OPM, just subs. Not a problem since the OP doesn’t mind subs, but something to keep in mind.

Other than that, One Punch Man, at least season 1, is probably one of the greatest anime of all time.
ETA: too bad my covidcation is over, or I’d try some of the other recommendations on here.

The mention of One Punch man reminds me…

Tiger & Bunny. It’s not really like OPM at all, it’s just that the universes have one major commonality - superheroes as paid occupation. (My Hero Academia is sort of the pivot point of the genre with T&B at one extreme and OPM at the other.)

BTW, since you are listing both actual anime and American shows drawn in a somewhat anime-ish style (Avatar, Castlevania), you might want to check out Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts.

There is GANTZ:O, which is CGI based on a manga.

Yeah, I’m kind of like you in that I’m sort of hit or miss when it comes to anime. Just to set some context around my tastes, As I kid, I enjoyed classic 80s scifi stuff like Robotech, Space Battleship Yamato and Akira, 90s anime like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop and the various works Studio Ghibli. Haven’t followed that much newer stuff, although I do like Attack on Titan.
I don’t have a lot of recommendations, but here they are:

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online - I only watched the first episode, but I enjoyed it. If you like Sword Art Online (which I haven’t seen), you might like this. Same sort of MMORPG concept, but in more of a ArmA / Call of Duty / Battlefield setting.

BLAME! (pronounced “blam!” I think) is also pretty good. It takes place in some far future where the last surviving humans eke out an existence hiding from out of control AI in a massive endlessly replicating city (really a planetary (or larger) scale megastructure).

Attack on Titan - I think there is at least one season on Netflix. Kind of Game of Thrones meets The Walking Dead. Except the zombies/white walkers are 20-300 ft tall man eating retards.

Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex 2045 is on Neflix

Not exactly like SAO, but it is RPG-adjacent - Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon? is cool.

I quite like *Parasite *so far (just a couple episodes in) and K (couple episodes from finishing first season).

Not “anime”, but Dragon Prince is awesome.

I don’t have Netflix at the moment, so I can’t check to see if they are on there, but a couple other anime that took me on an interesting journey were Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens and That Time I was Reincarnated as a Slime.

I am Ok with “anime-esque” shows. I’m pretty sure Gale Gun Online is season 2 of SWO

Brian

So far I like Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls in the Dungeon? – though a bit too much boob stuff for my tastes (Bell is 14!)
Interesting that most of the gods are goddesses, including traditionally male one like Hephaestus.
I also started Attack on Titan.

Brian

Many otherwise good stories are ruined, IMHO by the harem genre and the fan service.

Despite having so many strikes against it (video game movies/shows almost always suck, I’m not really an anime guy, I’m sick of vampires, and serious animated dramas are usually crap), I really really liked castlevania. And I look forward to more seasons.

My roommate has been watching Seven Deadly Sins and I find it God awful. Take a drink every time they say “Seven Deadly Sins” or “Holy Knights”.

I’m not sure, but I believe Gun Gale Online does show up in Season 2 or 3 of SAO (I’m only as far as the “Alfheim Online” story arc). There is a separate standalone spin-off “SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online”.
I mostly enjoy SAO, but I do find the story and pacing a bit uneven at times. Same with Attack on Titan. It’s like the seasons are way too long so there are all these filler episodes. For the number of episodes, they could have developed the story more about how the 10,000 people trapped in the game adapted (or not as the case may be). Instead, everything sort of just “is”.

You’re both right!

Season two of SAO introduced Gun Gale, and “alternative” is basically a separate story in the Gun Gale game.

I enjoyed Panzer Girl a lot. It’s not that particularly serious, and definitely has a lot of “girl anime” tropes in it, but it was a fun watch. There is a series and also a movie, but see the series first.

Have you seen Evangelion? That’s on there too. I liked it a lot, but the ending is all kinds of stupid. Honestly, just skip the last episode. They have a “movie” as well which is supposed to be the REAL ending…which is also stupid

As for anime-esque shows made for Netflix….

The Dragon Prince: Made by one of the creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender and other key ATLA staff, this one is more based on Western fantasy tropes (dragons, elves, etc), and skews a little darker and for an older audience than ATLA.

Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts: The second season just dropped yesterday. It’s a post-apocalyptic story of a handful of humans trying to survive in a literal urban jungle ruled by different tribes of anthropomorphic animals.