Seeking Netflix Anime recommendations

Thanks for mentioning that. It slipped right past me.

if you want series that’s a seriously dark take on fascism and funny mixed with "wtf did I just see "I recommend kill la kill… tho I don’t know how badly the official subs/dubs are edited as i saw it on dubiously legal sites that did their own subtitling …

Carole & Tuesday is a terrific show about two teenagers becoming pop music sensations on Mars while defying both hateful anti-immigration prejudice and the chew 'em up, spit 'em out nature of the music industry.

Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun is about a male high school student who moonlights as a girls’ manga artist, how his crush and his high school pals are knowingly and/or unknowingly roped into assisting, and the basic failure of everyone in the show to understand how ridiculous they actually are. It’s based on a long-running 4-panel gag manga.

I recommend both these series!

Speaking of dark/serious series, I liked B: The Beginning quite a bit, and am glad there’s a second season in the offing.

You mean Girls und Panzer? Yeah, it’s great simple fun. I loved it, which is weird for me - not that I don’t like “girl’s anime”, but that I don’t like sports anime. And G&P leans into those tropes just as hard. But the premise is just so silly (even sillier than doing it with mecha) that you just roll with it. As it were. Panzer vor!

Can someone talk on Ghost In The Shell: Standalone Complex 2045? I loved Ghost In The Shell. Didn’t love Ghost In The Shell 2, and I haven’t watched any of the series, other movies or the recent live action movie. Is 2045 any good? Will I be hopelessly lost if I start into it?

I didn’t watch past the opening credits. I found the 3D CGI animation off-putting.

It’s middling. I have no problem with cel-shaded CGI, so that part was fine. It’s not super-deep, and there’s a character that is only really background in the original movies, but more prominent in the SAC series, is the main viewpoint character.

The Major is not a main viewpoint character, which is not to a lot of folk’s taste from what I understand.

Thanks. I might give it a try, but go in with low expectations.

Check out Laputa: Castle in the Sky - IMHO Miyazaki’s best, with a plucky young aviator, a beautiful young princess, a magic crystal, sky pirates, an evil secret agent, ancient robots, an abandoned floating city, gorgeous animation, etc.

Just started watching that recently. Starts off a bit rough, I thought, but actually turns into a fairly solid storyline.

Definitely some derp, and a bit of misogyny, but better than most animes for it. Some unexpected twists, and some expected twists that didn’t go as expected. No outright harem, and once you get past the first episode or so, very little fan service.

Almost to the first season finale, looking forward to it.

So, not anime, but if Dragon Prince and Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts count for purposes of this thread, I recommend She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. I think it’s a really well-done story, with complex characters. Considering the starting point, a re-boot of a spin-off of an 80s cartoon based on a toy, it’s downright amazing.

I briefly had a thought that it might be Batou’s Tachikoma. >_> But I assume Togusa?

Yeah. I barely noticed him in GITS, He was a wee bit more prominent in the second movie, and was a big part of the SAC series and movie. So someone who’s only seen the first two, might wonder what all the fuss was about.

Yeah, I recently (as in just finished a couple of days ago) watched the whole series. On top of what you said, the series is really fun, often making jokes at it’s own expense. For example, I never watched the original (it looks cringingly bad from Youtube clips) but most of the characters have excessively meaningful names. So in one of the early episodes a guy named Bo who uses a bow and arrow was introducing a group of princesses, he reaches two who he doesn’t know the powers of. The one named Netossa irritably yells out “It’s in the name. Net-tossa. I toss nets!”

A very funny (and mildly spoilerly) clip from season 5.

Lots of good recommendations here. One show I really enjoyed is Aijin. It’s a really well-done show about people who can’t die — more accurately, they come back to life shortly after dying. It handles the idea in some interesting ways and really explores the limits of what a person can do when they can’t be (permanently) killed.

It’s worse than that. His name *is *actually Bow.

dup

If you like Attack on Titan, Netflix has an anime by the same team called ‘Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: The Battle of Unato’. Although it’s a shortened version consisting of a single battle mid-season. Consensus is you should watch the entire season of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress on Amazon Prime (which I am). It’s kind of a steampunk Attack on Titan with zombies meets Snowpiercer

HBO Max has most of the Studio Ghibli works now. I rewatched Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (my personal favorite) and it’s pretty obvious the character of Rey from Star Wars is heavily influenced by Nausicaä.

Cringingly bad is a mild descriptor.

As somebody that watched that drivel back then and liked it, I wonder if I had some mild mental problems that somehow righted themselves with age, because attempting to rewatch the cartoons of the 80s that I liked has been… upsetting.