Sen Craig takes it up the ass!

Lewd conduct in the bathroom . Sounds like Sen. Craig and his family values party needs to spend a bit more time with Mark Foley and Ted Haggard.

What the hell? The article describes no conduct other than tapping a foot, which was construed as a sex signal by the officer. Is there more to this that I don’t see?

Personally, I couldn’t care less about his sexual orientation. He should be resoundingly criticized for voting for a constitutional ban for gay marriage, voting no for including sexual orientation in non-discrimination legislation, voting no for protecting sexual orientation in hate crime legislation, and the ton of other issues we disagree about. He also should be resoundingly criticized for lying to his constituents, his wife, and, quite possibly, himself. But don’t criticize him for being gay.

Tapping your foot in a public bathroom stall is seen as an invitation to sex. Here is the most work safe link I could find.

Whoa, boy. Glad I found this out before the next time I stepped into a public bathroom!

I’m a twitchy sort of fellow; I’ll need to control my impatience next time all the stalls are full! :eek:

I have heard that before, but isn’t tapping your foot sometimes just tapping your foot? What if you’ve never heard about the “signal” before?

… and even if it is an invitation, since when are invitations considered lewd conduct?

Could I get arrested for asking, “So, you wanna go back to my place?” ::wink::

I did not know that.

I think that there is a lucrative future for the Senator: spokesperson for pharmaceuticals that treat Restless Leg Syndrome.

I do that instinctively when I’m constipated! :eek: Thanks for the warning.

I wonder if he was packing heat.

Just about to bring that up, Bear. What instruction does the undercover cop receive in such…what?..gay bathroom techniques? Who has such instruction of offer? What are his boner fides? Its ridiculous! How many men go into airport bathrooms looking for anonymous gay sex? I have no clue, but I’m willing to guess you could spend days in the average bathroom facility and not even one such situation will arise.

So we are expected to believe that there is a secret foot tapping code in order to signal someone in the next stall that you are interested and available for what must be least erotic encounter in the human repetoire, and that an undercover officer has been instructed sufficiently in the techniques that his opinion will qualify as probable cause? Kee-rist, how many hours did he waste trying to bust somebody for being terminally tacky?

Huh?

Do any of our gay brethren have any insight to offer on this whole “Morse code” thingy?

More details in this Roll Call article. There was more to it than just tapping the foot.

Also, he pled guilty. I have a hard time he would have done that if the charges had not been based on anything more than a foot tap.

With regards to the significance, I basically agree with everything Hamlet said.

Frankly, I think this is a case where he should have fought the charges. The mere tapping of a foot, without more, is hardly enough to give rise to a guilty verdict of any criminal charge in this instance. As Leaper points out, it’s entirely possible that an innocent person may tap his foot with no intention of hooking up for sex.

Now, the fact that he pled guilty in such a hurry makes me suspect he wasn’t as clean-minded as all that. But unless they could have produced more damaging evidence than a foot tap, I think it was foolish for him to plead guilty.

Inside the EDIT time window:

Having read Diogenes’s link, I stand by my statement: he could have successfully fought the charges… but he is very likely factually guilty of trying to solict sex.

The Senator apparently followed up with more, less ambigious signals, touching his foot to the officers and then reaching under the stall and gesturing to him.

Also of course, he pleaded guilty. I’m skeptical that he would’ve done so if he didn’t think they had him.

ETA: all this from the original Roll Call article, which I can’t seem to get to now.

Here is more detail from the Roll Call report as documented in the Wikipedia article.

*At 1216 hours, Craig tapped his right foot. I recognized this as a signal used by persons wishing to engage in lewd conduct. Craig tapped his toes several times and moves his foot closer to my foot… The presence of others did not seem to deter Craig as he moved his right foot so that it touched the side of my left foot which was within my stall area. Craig then proceeded to swipe his hand under the stall divider several times.

Public bathrooms have been a common way for men seeking anonymous sex to meet up. Remember the George Michael incident from a few years ago? The internet has eliminated some of that, but the Men seeking Men section of Craigslist will show you that it is still practiced. A place like an airport bathroom, where people are often stuck in airports for an hour, is probably still a common cruising area.

Read my link. He apparently gave a variety of other signals, including trying to play footsie with the police officer under the stall divider, putting a hand under the divider and peering through the cracks at him.

ETA, you’re right, nothing he did was unambiguous enough that he couldn’t have probably fought the charges, but guilty plea kind of speaks for itself.

:frowning:

Hmm. Never knew that. Sometimes I feel like Ralph Hinkley from Greatest American Hero- I’m a homosexual who lost his sexual orientation manual and have to learn these things on message boards. (It was a straight middle-aged female friend who explained to me what a foam party is.)

Finally though all the accidental gang rapes that have happened whenever I’ve attended Riverdance are explained.

ETA- upon further research it turns out that another solicitation for gay sex is to dance the chicken polka in a food court. Leading with your left foot means you’re a top, right foot that you’re a bottom, and clucking means you’re versatile. This explains a LOT (and that guy at the Sbarro really was coming onto me that time… I thought it was just some type of lobe damage).

Can I please get a list of safe behaviours? How long before breathing is considered an invitation to sex?

He’s livin’ in his own private Idaho.