Sensitivity training 101

This isn’t the type of thread I’ll normally open, and I really have no opinion on this, but who the hell are they getting for members?!?

It’s found in the 6th line.

Quote:

A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel to be driven to a local livestock scale, where he could be weighed.

Got that? League of Human Dignity. Livestock scale. I’ve lost respect for what a group calls itself on face value.

(6th line)

North Dakota beat your ass, Southies. :stuck_out_tongue:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/news/weird_news/9372616.htm

Yeah, I know it sounds ironic, but there are damned few or no scales built for humans that’ll accomodate that weight, and I suspect that in North Dakota the most convenient and prevalent scale that will is one for livestock.

Read the site, it was a South Dakota story. But since you missed the irony of the group helping out, I guess you may have missed an entire state. No problem. :wink:

Duffer, what exactly are you complaining about here? Is this some juvenile “Our state is better than your state” nonsense or are you suggesting that the name of the organization is ironic because it’s not dignified for the man to be weighed on a livestock scale, or what?

Probably better to complain that this man has lost more than 300 pounds in eight weeks time on a diet that is so calorically restricted, in relation to his body size, that he’s being starved. While there is no question that his body is living off of its fat stores, the damage that such rapid weight loss could do to his metabolism, his heart and other organs (I’d lay good odds on his gallbladder going bad in short order) could be devastating.

Not a state thing, they both suck. I was dipping my toes into the waters of sensitivity and failed miserably. I missed the weight loss I mentioned in the OP. Oops.

I think the slap on the hand should go to the media who published that sad detail; not all the people who are trying to help him. Of course he had to be weighed on a livestock scale. He is enormous and they need some sort of reading so they can track his progress.

Poor guy…I hope he makes it.

Leave it to you to make my point. Thanks

God, I SUCK at pitting shit. :smack: :wally :smack: :rolleyes:

Nah, I heard it on the news earlier but missed the state, so I didn’t check the link; I merely assumed it was ND upon seeing its mention in the OP. I knew which group was helping; what I was saying was that they probably didn’t have all that much of a choice. And yeah, like Kalhoun pointed out, it was more insensitive for the news to be broadcasting that little detail; I’m sure that could have been discussed more delicately.

I thought it would’ve been miscommunication. Now I can respect you again.
Those few minutes were hell for me Ferret Herder. Please avoid stressing me in the future. Ya Prick. :wink:

Just as well, since it doesn’t take much to unravel it. The League of Human Dignity, based in Lincoln, Nebraska, but known throughout much of the midwest and plains states, was founded in the early 1970s. Their purpose is to help people with disabilities live independently and with dignity. They try to accomplish this partly through advocacy but mostly through good works, such as coming to your home to install ramps, for example, or perform other services. Their web site is www.leagueofhumandignity.com

Their activity with respect to Mr. Deuel isn’t really that obscure. As he is on a drastic but medically supervised weight-loss program, it isn’t surprising that he required an accurate weighing. The article does not explicitly state that there were no satisfactory alternatives to a livestock scale, but I’m willing to believe that they didn’t choose it just for the entertainment value. The League seems to have played a minor role here, arranging for transportation, but certainly that role is consistent with its mission of helping people (in this case, Mr. Deuel) live freer, more independent lives.

What a group calls itself is never per se worthy of respect. A small amount of knowledge of their history, mission and activities is necessary for that. Of course, if that knowledge is available, prejudgment is also unworthy of respect.

In light of your response to Kalhoun, let’s just both blame it on something like the haze of caffeine deprival leading to poor posting, and call it even. Dork.

:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

I work in a factory, and we have a “legal for trade” scale (ie, it’s very accurate), and several people have come in to get weighed, usually family members of employees.
It’s not a big deal. Lighter employees even use it because they don’t have a home scale.
It’s really no big deal, although I notice our visitors usually go to the back door near closing time.
It’s entirely likely that someone on the board knows the owner of the business and could get it done free and cheap.

Or,“Ya dorky prick”. :wink:

I grew up weighing on a scale designed for weighing feed and seed for cattle in my Dad’s store. I never thought twice about it – just knew that it was accurate because it was checked by the government.

For a while as an adult I had to weigh at the hospital because my home scales didn’t do the job. Another friend was over 400 pounds and even the hospital scales didn’t work for her. (This was just before weight loss surgery and it was important that her loss be monitored.)

Finding scales to accomodate the obese is not easy. The group was acting in kindness in finding something that worked.

Around these parts it’s quite common for doctors to send their very heavy patients to the cotton company to get weighed on cotton scales. Up to 1,000 lbs is no problem and as with feed scales, they are frequently checked by USDA for accuracy.

[hijack]Where ya’ been hidin’, Zoe? I haven’t seen much of you lately. Have we been haunting different threads, or are you deliberately avoiding me? :wink:

Zoe, I find it odd that the hospital wouldn’t have facilities to weigh someone over 400#. I though most had some sort of industrial scale out on their loading docks, although those are sometimes inadequate. Dr.J had a patient in med school that they had to estimate his weight when he was first admitted, because the scales on the loading docks only went up to 1,000 pounds. They could have arranged for him to be taken across town to the research farm, but they didn’t feel they needed an accurate weight that badly. The staff’s best guess is that he lost 200-300 pounds before they could get an accurate weight on him.

But yes, if they’d really needed an accurate weight on this guy, they would have had no choice at all but to use a livestock scale. It’s not a matter of sensitivity, it’s a matter of not having any other options.

Yes, I’m sure that being 1000+ pounds isn’t nearly as devistating as existing at some semblance of a normal weight, say 500 pounds.

Getting down to a normal, or closer to normal, weight, is not a good thing if it doesn’t improve your health. Organ damage and a screwed-up metabolism are indeed devastating, and cancel out any benefit from weight loss.

It’s not as though he just decided on this supremely restrictive diet on his own though. His doctors decided on it, and if anyone should know what effects this will have on his body and whether or not it is safe, it would be his doctors.

If they’re the ones who selected this diet, and are monitoring his progress and he’s not suffering ill effects, why should we be telling them that they’re killing him?