September 2010 Weight Loss Thread

No worries, I’ve stopped and started and had to reset my goals so many times I’ve lost count. I figure one of these times I’ll stick with it. I think once I get in a set routine it will be easier.

I also use spark people, online and the iPhone app. I use the app most since I can enter food when I eat so I don’t forget later, same for the exercises. Although, there are some things the app doesn’t do which could make things easier. Like why can’t I add strength exercises to “Favorites” do I don’t have to search for them everytime? But I still think it’s better than another app I tried called “Lose It”. That app would subtract your calories burned from your daily calorie allowance and IMO burning off 200 calories and then eating 200 more calories sort of defeats the purpose.

I haven’t weighed myself in a few days because I’ve been kinda WiiFit lazy (still running, though). But this morning I got myself into a pair of size 10 canvas pants–no stretch! And they aren’t tight! I must be around 150 lbs. by now. Will weigh in tonight.

Holy cow, that’s awesome.

Yeah, I started a year ago, focusing mostly on getting all the daily recommended fiber. My thought was, if you’re doing that, then you’re likely getting more fruits, veggies, grains to fill you up.

I lost, like 13 lbs pretty easily.

And then.

And then came my friend’s redneck themed birthday party. I chose to be powerless in the face of fried chicken and cheese balls and pabst and bologne sandwiches on Wonder bread with Miracle Whip.

One party turned in to a lost year where I ate everything, everything, without reservation or care.

So.

Today I’m focusing on a way that I can eat for the rest of my life. I shoot for 400 calories per meal, and 1500 calories per day. So far I’ve lost 13 lbs since the end of July. I know my next goal needs to be a daily walk. I’m resisting. But I know I need to start small.

I’ve been thinking of doing the South Beach diet (errr, make that, changing my eating style to be compatible with the South Beach diet, as it’s a long-term thing) because years ago I ate that way for a few months and lost 20 pounds easily. If I simply restrict my calories but continue to eat carb-heavy things, I lose weight painfully slowly.

Do any of you follow the South Beach diet, and/or know of any good resources that make sticking to it easier? (My love of pasta will be my undoing. It’s easier for me to give up chocolate than pasta, that’s how bad it is.)

Losing weight painfully slowly by adjusting your regular eating habits enough to lose weight in a sustainable way is actually a good thing; going on a special diet is not a good idea. It has been proven almost without exception that you will gain everything back when you go off the special diet. I’m doing the painfully slow thing (24 pounds lost so far in one year), and I haven’t denied myself anything (except gluttony). We eat out two to three times a week, and I always have chips and chocolate in the house - a piece of chocolate a day fits into my calorie allotment.

I also try to get some exercise in every single day - exercise is like flossing my teeth for me; something I just do because I have to.

Just popping in with a quick tip. If you want to make egg-white-only egg salad (or anything, really, that requires hard-cooked whites) but you hate (1) throwing out the yolks or (2) fussing with boiling and peeling eggs:

Take 1 cup liquid egg whites.
Spray an 8x8 baking dish generously with Pam (I used the olive oil flavor).
Pour in the egg whites.
Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 15 minutes, until just set.
Cool and chop.
Profit!

My mom’s going to make egg salad later. Yum!

Next time I want to try using 2 cups (the whole carton) for thicker chunks.

215.5 - precious little to boast about but it’s better than gaining, I guess.

Highest point: 163.0
Today: 137.4
Goal: ~135

My goal was ~135, or enough to fit into my red corduroy pants. Well, today a friend of mine and I were doing a photo shoot, and needed me to look like a rock star, so the corduroys came out of the closet… and fit great! I’m so thrilled.

Not convinced I actually look like a rock start in the pic, but it should be close enough.

To paraphrase, nothing tastes as good as looking hot feels…

Well, count me in, guys… I’m back on the wagon as of today. 4 pregnancies in 5 years hasn’t done me any favors, but now that my family is complete and I’m done with nursing, it’s time for me to start losing. No more excuses. :slight_smile:

I’m a lifetime member at WW, although nowhere near my goal weight, so I’ll stick to their Points system for food and exercise. Always worked pretty well for me in the past. I don’t actually have a scale in my house, and I try not to worry myself about it too much right after having a baby, but my latest post-delivery trip to the doctor indicated that I’d lost 35 lbs since baby #4 and I need to lose around 50 more. I’m hoping to do it in a year.

Any support you guys can throw my way is very appreciated, especially the first couple of weeks.

After a couple days with my boyfriend, bad foods and no exercise I lost a little ground but at least I didn’t gain it all back. Unfortunately, I also injured myself trying to clean my house and can’t work out like I was doing, I’m going to just keep it light until I feel better.

I lost my momentum and motivation to sign up for a 5 k walk in October. The deadline to register early is today. I guess I’ll just wait and see how I feel and I can always register on site a couple days before if I decide to do it.

Hurt yourself cleaning the house, eh? I knew it! I knew housework was dangerous!

Sorry. :slight_smile:

Well, I’m getting back in the swing of wintertime exercise - lots and lots of shopping indoors.

I’ve dropped 60 lbs since March and this weekend I discovered that my wedding ring will not stay on when I wash my hands/shower due to soap letting it slide off my finger.

Any suggestions before the nubile 20-ish vixens injure themselves by trying to jump my white-haired middle aged bones?

Appearently, my wife is NOT concerned about that potential issue.

Wrap the ring with thread until it stays on.

And many conga-rats! :smiley:

Thanks Cat! I could use yarn like the girls in high school used to make the guy’s class rings stay on their fingers I suppose. And maybe the nymphettes will see that and assume I’m Going Steady. Win-win!

Congrats on the weight loss. Check a jewelry store or counter for some little plastic things you can put on your ring to make it fit better. I have no idea what they are called.

I agree with this philosophy, but I also know I eat entirely too many sweets and starches and not nearly enough vegetables to be good for me. I’m also one of those terrible “all or nothing at all” type people and moderation is actually harder for me to sustain than total abstinence. :frowning: I’m where I am now because of having one moment of weakness turn into “fuck it, I’ll eat cake from now on!” (niblet_head, I totally relate to your “lost year” story).

So I switched to eating the South Beach way yesterday and so far so good. Unfortunately, I have an intolerance to eggs, so my options for breakfast are limited, but in two weeks I’ll be able to have a piece of toast or small bowl of oatmeal. Heh, who knew that could be such a good motivator? Whooo, toast!

The other thing that motivates me is that when I was very good at eating low-carb, I felt terrific. When I eat whatever the hell I want, I always crash in the afternoon (sometimes literally falling asleep at my desk), but without having starches at lunch, I have lots of energy all day. Even today I feel great in the late afternoon, I’m not ravenously hungry at 5 pm, and I’m wondering how I could have been so dumb as to ever quit eating this way. :slight_smile:

If it’s a sustainable change, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for you. The problem we all get into is when we stop eating one way and go back to our…for lack of a better word, call it “normal.” If that’s your new normal, yay! My new normal should have less chocolate and chips and more veggies in it - it’s a work in progress. :slight_smile:

I got on the scales this morning and for the first time since 1997 I came in under 200 pounds. My top weight was about 235.

Ms Hook and I have been doing a lot of walking the past couple of years, since she retired. We’ve also been watching what we eat.

She’s down about 50 pounds and looking might good.

We feel pretty good about it.

Last 6 months been on my Lifefitness Eliptical trainer every gay for 40 minutes (time setting, not counting rest time, level 10, random setting), Eventually your groin will hurt possibly feet also.

I paid a couple hundred less than three grand 6 years ago. Thing weighs as much as a motorcycle too. I figure at a dollar per day/ use in another four years it will be done depreciating.

It’s nice in that in has 10 second increments variable from 1-10, current heart rate, and elapsed time.

Put pandora.com on the puter (music), a good fam or AC, also has 2 "cupholders and a reading table.

I hump for a living, (lift bags) so it helps there too. I learned about them taking "Circuit Training I, also took II -whole semester each.

Work at Airport, and this past Summer met a second place finisher of Cedar Point men’s triathlon, also a couple of the yearly Mr. Universe contestants. I heard that the ladies were rockin’.

Congrats to Sandy Hook, Wargamer, et al.

All I’ve done the last 30 days is try not to gorge, and apparently that wasn’t enough. Depending on the time of day I’m either holding steady or have gained a couple pounds.

Part of the problem was cash flow issues from buying the new computer and not invoicing clients promptly. That led to me not buying my favorite lo-cal foods. I’d be snacking on Life Cereal with 2% milk (200 calories) instead of puffed millet with Calorie Countdown dairy beverage (80 calories.)

Shooting for a 4-6 lb. loss over the next month.