Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

I gave up on this basically in the first 2 minutes when I found out the premise is that all humans are completely blind yet have villages, travel and fight wars. I think this series belongs in the suspension of disbelief thread.

Thanks! I’ve seen the movie - it’s not particularly good, IMO, so I’m glad it’s getting another shot as a series.

Squid Game - (Netflix) brought kicking and screaming into this one. I get to watch child innaproriate stuff late at night usually with a few beers in me so reading close captioning is not high on my list of desires, but I thought I’d give it a try. Wow. It’s gruesome which is a turnoff generally, but the story keeps twisting and gets me excited for the next one. 4 Episodes down, can’t wait for the next one.

Maid - (Netflix) A young woman runs to take her three year old and herself out of an abusive relationship and struggles to find her way with few friends and lots of parental baggage. The story is multifaceted and avoids the cookie-cutter character tropes. 6 episodes in I think, I picked it as something for my wife to watch while I played phone games on the couch and I got drawn in immediately. If Mare of Easttown or Orange is the New Black is your speed I’d recommend checking this out as well.

Andy McDowell is the only jarring note in “Maid”, although she’ll likely win an Emmy nom for her over-the-top portrayal of the bi-polar mother. The problem with her in this is that despite supposedly having come from three generations of people living in Washington state, she sounds like she’s straight out of Alabama.

I have yet to see a film involving Andie McDowell in which she wasn’t the jarring note. It must be just me, but I’ve never seen the attraction.

(That said, funnily enough she sends herself up in an episode of Mr Mayor, which I mentioned earlier, and does so well - although not nearly as well as Chrissy Teigen’s self-parody in the same episode.)

I’m finally watching Modern Family, having basically ignored it during its run. I’m surprised how much I’m enjoying it. It does manage to have a lot of well-worn sitcom tropes (the Clueless Dad, the Heavily-Accented Immigrant, the Control Freak Mom) but they play with them enough to frequently surprise me.

I enjoyed Mr Mayor during its live run several months ago but was uncertain if it was coming back.

I was a big fan of Modern Family for the first several seasons … then it seemed to get stale. I came back for the final season, and it was still better than most sitcoms on broadcast TV. (Speaking of well-worn tropes: they seem to delight in setting up expectations and then ignoring the obvious pay off. For example: one episode finds Cameron stuck in a tree, while wearing his costume as a member of Cats. The fire department is called in to get him down, and not once does anyone make the obvious connection about firemen rescuing a cat from a tree. It’s like: the punchline is left as an exercise for the viewer.)

Agreed.

Yes, Mr Mayor was renewed. (I remember reading someplace that the original idea was that Alec Baldwin’s character from 30 Rock would win the NYC mayor’s race but that didn’t work out.)

I think we’re going to move to season two of Ted Lasso, now that the depressing “Maid” is done. My dreams have been dark since starting that series.

Thirded. The woman just cannot act to save her life. On a personal note, she’s never done the slightest thing for me physically. I know she’s a former model and everything, but I just can’t even accept her as eye candy.

I’m watching “Last Y-Man” on Hulu. It’s holding my interest so far. Women kicking ass is always fun.

Currently binging on “Hotel De Luna”, a Korean series on Netflix.

You enjoying it? Because if you did, I have … recommendations. It was our first paranormal K-dramedy, and kind of got us hooked on the genre

Tale of the Nine-Tailed and Mystic Pop-Up Bar were both winners, and we’ve just finished Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, which was awesome.
Going to try My Love From The Star next

My Beloved and I really enjoyed it.

It amuses me greatly going through Netflix Korean series descriptions and noting just how damn many of them have “…and he can see ghosts” or “…and she’s a [paranormal creature]” in them.

So far, the only one that disappointed a little was The School Nurse Files. It was fine throughout but didn’t stick the landing in the last episode, we found.

We also saw one about a male doctor from centuries ago being transported to modern times-I forget the name.

Was it Live Up To Your Name? It’s on the list for future viewing, was it good?

I don’t recall the name, but it was pretty humorous watching him try to adjust to the modern female doctor who is curious about him.

I watched Teenage Bounty Hunters on Netflix. It’s actually a pretty good, fun little series. The leads (playing two sisters) have good chemistry, Pity that it has not been renewed, as the series had set up a few interesting plot points for future seasons.