Series you've recently watched, are now watching or have given up on

Lots of Toby Jones. It was a cracking episode, to be sure. A good turn from Paul Kaye as “Guy Forks” as well.

And did you catch the comment about Worzel not being a “pirate”? That had to be a deliberate nod to one of Crook’s other well-known roles.

I just finished the first season of Stranger Things and fail to see why its getting so much attention. The main characters thinking, speaking and behaving like adults is just too much. The wife is now watching season 2 but I just go surf the web.

Travel Man: 48 Hours in… (Prime) is a delightful travel show staring Richard Ayoade from IT Crowd. It’s just him and a celebrity guest on a weekend trip filled with the typical wry wit the British have perfected over the centuries. While my children are awake there is very little I can be bothered to watch in a standard evening without profanity, nudity, or extreme violence, so this hits the sweet spot of something I can watch and yet something worth watching. The episodes are short and there isn’t a plot so my wife and I can get up and tend the children while the show keeps going on.

You might also like his Gadget Man (which he took over from Stephen Fry)

I really enjoyed Travel Man, especially since the inside joke is that Richard really does not like to travel.

Yeah, I’m never really sure how much of his performance on that show is him or his ‘character’, maybe they’ll almost the same anyway.

But did you see this?

Yeah, I opted out of Season 2 of Stranger Things. Sure, the first season was ok, but I’d had enough of it by then. For different reasons I bailed on 13 Reasons why (watch any more of this, it was a one season show? And it was only 7 reasons why MAX), and Handmaids tale (no, I don’t want to kill myself or watch any more horrible shit happen to women). Stranger Things was just sort of “yeah, that’s over, no need for more”.

Just finished three seasons of BBC’s Ghosts on HBO Max. It was a lot of fun and I hope there is another season to get all of the characters’ backstories. Only after doing a search to see if there would be a season four, did I learn that there is an American version on CBS. I’m dithering about signing back up for Paramount (or whatever CBS All Access is called now) , to watch it. I’ll probably just wait for a new season of Star Trek Discovery to do that.

So far the American version of Ghosts isn’t too bad, though I think they’re still adapting stories from the original. It will be interesting to see how it is when they start with original stories.

Star Trek Prodigy. 10 minutes, couldn’t stand it any longer than that. But, hey, it’s for kids, you know.

Finished it. I loved it more than I hated it. I’m glad it was only 5 episodes else I might start to feel co-dependent.

I recently watched a Korean produced series called, “My Name”. It’s just one season and may very well be over, but I really enjoyed it.

Me too, my favourite was his Iceland trip and his exchange with the elf guy

Him “I hoped you learned something”
Richard (sotto voce while nodding) “I did not”

It spawned a household meme that is still in circulation.

Ours is: “We are here. But should we have come.

*Granted, recently disused.

I watched the first half of the US version, and while it’s nearly a verbatim re-shot of the BBC version I decided I liked the Brits better.

Interesting changes in the cast … replacing the Neanderthal and medieval peasant with a Native American and a Viking, and making the military man Revolutionary-era instead of WWII.

It seemed like the US version felt the audience needed more exposition. For instance: the opening scene, with the death of the previous owner, whose spirit asks the ghosts “who are you?” BBC version: “I’m your great-great-grandmother…” US version: “I’m the ghost of your great-great-grandmother…”

And I think the flower child/hippie is replacing the Romantic-era poet. Some of these changes are necessary, given the differences in who populated the two areas over the centuries.

And yes, I think I like the original version better but if you like the American version, you’re going to get more episodes.

I actually prefer the US version, but only because Rose McIver is so unbelievably likeable.

My husband likes the US version better too. I like the British one. I guess we average out.

Welcome to Canada, eh!