Sex on Cinemax: Real or Simulated?

It’s the kind of stuff that star former Playboy Playmates like Carrie Westcott. Basically any movie without Playboy in the title in her list would qualify.

Nevermind, now I see you’re asking a different question.

Boxcar Bertha was in heavy rotation on one of the premium channels a year or so ago and I saw the sex scene in question, and there’s not a hell of a lot to it … it barely lasts three seconds onscreen and not a lot of flesh is shown except for one nice shot of Barbara Hershey’s backside. If they did the real thing, it’s hard to imagine why they bothered, except for their own pleasure. Either that or a hell of a lot was left on the cutting room floor by Scorsese.

OK, look folks, there have been threads on the topic of personal insults vs group insults before. Please go to Rules for Posting at the Straight Dope Message Boards and especially note Post #10. I’m specifically referring to:

The question of when something is a “group insult” and when it’s a “personal insult” depends on context. If Poster A says, “I love Enema’s music” and Poster B then posts, “Anyone who loves Enema’s music is an idiot,” then it’s a personal insult (not acceptable) even though it’s disguised as an insult against a group (acceptable.)

Exapno: Your comment about “you might be an idiot if you think X” comes right after someone saying, “One could easily think X.” In this context, it’s pretty clearly a personal insult. At best, I think, you’d argue that you were putting one toe over the line to test the waters. I really do NOT want to have to expand the rules or explanations to cover this. We’ve got enough, I think, already; but when people go out of their way to exploit the rules, then we sometimes need to add new explanations.

Please, cool it.

OK, I think I can clear this up. A few years ago … somewhere between five and ten, maybe … the Spice Channel and others which are now pure-D hardcore XXX stuff were what OpalCat describes used to be bowdlerized. No images of body parts bening penetrated. Or being erect. Or being spread. They cut XXX films down to something pretty much like OpalCat describes.

I don’t recall any of the premium channels like Cinemax and HBO and Showtime and the Movie Channel ever running movies of that sort. Their stuff has always been softcore, not hardcore. I’ll bet that’s what Exapno is thinking of.

A lot of the softcore films on the premium channels have had laughably bad sex scenes, most often because the scenes have been weird slow-motion things. Not that the camera work has been slo-mo, the actors have moved in slo-mo, generally artfully arranging themselves as they did so. Or the guys would clearly be humping portions of the women’s bodies that didn’t make any sense, like the scene in “Life in A Gigolo” where the gigolo was clearly having sex with the left side of a woman’s thigh for some reason. Or the scenes in “Warrior Queen” where the slavegirls were lovingly kissing the side of a guy’s knee.

But in the last few years there have been some scenes that looked pretty hardcore to me. I can name a couple for Exapno – the sex scene between Nicole Sheridan and Evan Stone in “Genie in A String Bikini.” The scene between Mary Carey and some guy in “Sapphire Girls.” And the scene between a hot blonde and some guy in “Sexual Exploration.” And a couple dozen more I can’t recall offhand, I just know they’re out there. You don’t see penetration, of course, but the parts are lined up in the right places, and they move like people do when they’re actually having sex. While I think my logical reasons for thinking they’re not having sex in those scenes, there’s no way to look at them and know they’re not having sex.

I thought about how to phrase it so that the comment was clearly in the group insult category. If I didn’t succeed, sorry.

Evil Captor, I’ve never argued that cut down x-rated movies didn’t exist. I’m just calling you all on the notion that they appear on Cinemax. Two different things.

And I’m agreeing with you, and offering an explanation as to why people might THINK they appeared on Cinemax.