She's hurting and I'm drinking. I'm an idiot.

So I have this great new pup, and I just fuckin’ dropped her this afternoon while trying to reel her in from playtime in my backyard. Had her in my arms, she wiggled free and fell right to the ground – hard. She immediately started crying and I knew something was wrong. Tore me up.

Got a hold of her vet, took her in and was told she’d have to stay the night. X-rays in the morning, possibilty of fissure, broken bone not yet ruled out.

Damn, damn, damn, got home and poured myself a strong one – then had two more. Not looking for sympathy, just feel like a damn idiot. I should know better, not like she hadn’t done it before.

Miss you, Silky, and I trust you’re going to be alright.

See you in the morning. It can’t come soon enough.

Don’t feel like this is your fault; it certainly doesn’t sound like something you could have helped. It was an accident, I’m sure, and no one can prevent accidents.

I know what it’s like to have a puppy in pain, and I’m praying for you both.

Try not to wallow in alcohol too much. It can’t be good for you. Get some sleep and I’m sure things will be brighter in the morning. I hope blessings are with you.

I had a pup do this same thing to me…she got excited, wiggled out of my arms and fell right onto the granite tile floor. lost three puppy teeth.

if you weren’t drinking prior to the drop, and the dog wiggled free, it was an accident.

btw, your link to your pic? the site asks for a member log in.
you might want to put it up somewhere else.

hope the pup gets better quick.
OUT

I teared up reading your OP, RedFury. I really, really sympathize. I’ve never dropped a dog (although there have been some stepped-on toes or tails, which, to judge from the noise they make, hurts too), but it’s happened with my cats sometimes. It’s not your fault. You love your puppy. Hope Silky’s OK, as I’m sure she will be.

That stuff happens with small dogs…my chihuahua has hit the ground with a nice “thunk” a couple of times. I’m sure she’ll be okay, and I also don’t think alcohol is going to solve your problems, so don’t hit it too hard ;).

Keep us posted about Silkys condition :slight_smile:
Hope shes ok!

Weird how life works. Here I am, an atheist of sorts, and yet touched by BuckleberryFerry’s post. We might not believe in the same primary causes, but I I see we’re both moved by the same things. I thank you for your prayers. And no, The_Stranger, no drinking involved prior to the incident – close to a teetotaller and closed for the night. But I admit I prob wouldn’t have posted this if it hadn’t been for the booze. Sux all the same.

LindyHopper, thank you too. Hard to get her yelps from my head. Not sure I want to anyway. But I do hope your’re right and this will all be so much melodrama by morning. Embarrasment, I can live with.

As for the link, try this one and please focus on my pup.

I’m out. Appreciate the sentiments. Will update tomorrow.

Don’t beat yourself up too much, cowboy - but I feel your pain. I moved too quickly and stepped on my cat’s leg about 25 years ago, and still feel guilty. (Broken leg, cat running around in a cast for a few weeks.)

She’ll be OK!

I’m sure your pup will be just fine, and I’ll be thinking of you both - I came very close to posting in another thread about just how cute she is (both of you, actually) the other day, but the Dope locked up before I could get it submitted.

I know there’s no way to really make you feel better about this, but toddlers of all species do get hurt occasionally, and their “parents” always feel responsible. One of these days, I’ll tell the story of how I did just about the same thing with my 11-month-old daughter (no serious or permanent effects, but she sported a spectacular bright blue bump on her forehead for weeks).

Get well soon, Silky, and you too, RedFury.

Long night, long day.

Turns out, Silky did indeed have a small fracture on her hind right leg. They kept her at the vet’s for most of the day, told me they wanted to make sure the cast fit properly. Finally allowed me to pick her up a couple of hours ago – poor thing’s having a heck of a time getting around in that fugly cast :frowning:

Doc said she’ll need to wear it for three weeks and that she’ll “learn to move with it on.” Me, I am not so sure I trust this guy, so I dropped-off the X-ray at a different vet for a second opinion. He’s supposed to call me back later on today/tomorrow.

Took this picture of her a bit after we got home. If by chance there’s avet on board and sees the picture, I’d like to get some input – if only the cast looks right to him/her. The good news is that she’s eaten very well since, started playing and even crawled towards my feet…to nip at them, as is her habit.

Anyhow, once again, I thank you all for lending a sympathetic ear and most of all, for all of the good wishes. One way or another, Silky’s going to make it through, I am sure.

Sorry, I can only say:

Awww… she has the cute widdle puppy face. good dog good dog good dog.

Young animals do bounce back from this sort of thing. A young cat I had as a kid smashed his femur, requiring surgery for it to be bolted back together (we think he was chased/possibly bitten by a dog). He was pretty ticked off abut the whole affair at the time, but he lived to be 18 with nary a limp.

Aw, poor little thing. That cast is almost as big as she is. I’m sure she’ll be okay. I had mine wiggle and leap out of my arms when he got too excited and he landed on his head. Fortunately for him, his head is very, very hard - didn’t even faze him.

Something similar happened with my mom and her Sheltie when Sheena (the sheltie) was a pup. My mom felt awful.

It all turned out well in the end, though. The dog lived a long and happy life, and actually outlived my mom.

She’s adorable! I’m glad she’s going to be OK.

RedFury, that’s one of the cutest puppies ever! :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the cast. One time, d_redguy accidentally cut one of our cats while trimming the mats out of her long fur. We had to rush her to an all-night emergency vet and get her stitched up. The vet put one of those cones around her neck to keep her from chewing at the stitches, and we thought it was WAY too big. We didn’t think she’d be able to see around it or eat well. But she did fine after a few hours, and by the second or third day, she moved around like it had always been part of her.

(We were awfully glad when we could take it off, though. Poor kitty.)

Your baby will probably adjust to the “addition” pretty quickly.

RedFury, PLEASE don’t beat yourself up. I’ll tell you something - when I worked in a pet store four years ago, we had a small black and white terrier - I can’t remember what kind of dog she was, but she was similar to a Jack Russell, only larger and black and white. She was the SWEETEST dog in the world - I can’t stand terriers, but this little girl was a doll. And I’m very careful with animals - I know how to hold puppies properly, I am always EXTREMELY careful to hold them tight, etc. Well, I was holding this little girl on the hard tile floor. I was holding her tight like I usually did, and somehow, she managed to push my arms apart and JUMPED out of my arms.

She fell and hit her little head on the floor - hard. I immediately grabbed for her, and she was crying. I’ve never heard a puppy cry before, but she was crying. And so was I - I was devastated, I was sure something was horribly wrong with her, and it was my fault. I am one of the world’s biggest animal lovers and I felt SO bad. So I took her to the vet downstairs and had him look at her. She had a small bruise on her head, but he said she was fine.

I kept an eye on her the next few days, but she was no worse for the wear. And then someone bought her. I’ve seen her a few times since then and she’s a happy and healthy dog. But I still feel guilty sometimes about her jumping out of my arms. She’s okay, but I can still hear her head hit the floor.

I think we punish ourselves MUCH more than the puppies are actually hurt. Chin up - your baby’s going to be fine. Bones heal, and all she’s going to want from you is love and kisses.

Ava

RedFury, PLEASE don’t beat yourself up. I’ll tell you something - when I worked in a pet store four years ago, we had a small black and white terrier - I can’t remember what kind of dog she was, but she was similar to a Jack Russell, only larger and black and white. She was the SWEETEST dog in the world - I can’t stand terriers, but this little girl was a doll. And I’m very careful with animals - I know how to hold puppies properly, I am always EXTREMELY careful to hold them tight, etc. Well, I was holding this little girl on the hard tile floor. I was holding her tight like I usually did, and somehow, she managed to push my arms apart and JUMPED out of my arms.

She fell and hit her little head on the floor - hard. I immediately grabbed for her, and she was crying. I’ve never heard a puppy cry before, but she was crying. And so was I - I was devastated, I was sure something was horribly wrong with her, and it was my fault. I am one of the world’s biggest animal lovers and I felt SO bad. So I took her to the vet downstairs and had him look at her. She had a small bruise on her head, but he said she was fine.

I kept an eye on her the next few days, but she was no worse for the wear. And then someone bought her. I’ve seen her a few times since then and she’s a happy and healthy dog. But I still feel guilty sometimes about her jumping out of my arms. She’s okay, but I can still hear her head hit the floor.

I think we punish ourselves MUCH more than the puppies are actually hurt. Chin up - your baby’s going to be fine. Bones heal, and all she’s going to want from you is love and kisses.

Ava

Red- I’m sure she’ll be fine. She knows you didn’t mean her any harm and it was an accident. I hope she has a speedy recovery!

Poor you! And poor puppy! She’ll be fine. I’d feel pretty awful myself, but it was an accident. Don’t beat yourself up about this, okay? You did everything right, with getting her to the vet quickly.

One of our pups broke a toe once. The yelps were unreal. He’s fine now.

You have such a cute puppy, and I am a cat person!
My dad stepped on our kitten and broke both it’s hind legs (black cat, dark stairway), but thankfully he healed up well, never held a grudge either the dumb cat :slight_smile:

As for dropping the puppies, it could happen to anyone…
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030830/168/54b64.html