She's not Catholic....she's Christian.

I do, but since I left the RCC as a protest it’s probably appropriate. However, I do lump all non-Catholic and Orthodox Christian denominations, except the LDS (which Dangermom already knows I do not consider Christian at all–sorry :frowning: ), together as “Protestant.” It’s both the Catholicentric way I still think and an easy generalization that simplifies conversations by eliminating qualifications.

Not to tangent, but how are Mormons not Christians? I know I said that I don’t think of “Christian” as referring to Mormons, but I still believe they’re Christians, just like Catholics are. Isn’t a Christian anyone who believes in the divinity of Christ? And don’t Mormons believe that? Does the second coming they believe in cancel out their belief in Jesus?

One way to define Christianity is to base it on the rules issued from the Council of Nicaea. There are a number of beliefs held by the CoJCoLDS and (to a lesser extent) their cousins the Community of Christ (previously, the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), that mainline churches adhering to Nicaea would say are outside the precepts of Nicaea.

If one holds to a strict Nicene definition, the LDS (and associated groups), the Unitarians (even before they encompassed the Universalists), and several other groups do not fall within the sphere of Christianity. As an abstruse point of theological discussion, I find the distinctions interesting, but as a way to set barriers between groups, based on who believes which “truth,” I find such distinctions unfortunate.

There are enough differences with the Mormon church and other Christian churches that many Christian churches do not recognize the Mormon church. When my sister (ex-Mormon, like myself) joined the Southern Methodist church, it would not recognize her Mormom baptism and needed to be rebaptised. Apparently it would have recognized baptism from other sects.

One example of differences: a core teaching of the Mormon church is that people can become gods and godesses themselves in the next life. This believe is not shared by mainstream Christianity.

This is also another point which some Christian churches have a problem with Mormonism. The Mormon church has a different believe than the traditional Trinity, although in recent years, it’s making some change to apprear more mainstream. For example, the Holy Ghost is now called “God, the Holy Ghost” which was not how the HG was referred to while I was growing up.

I’m Greek Orthodox. I’m Christian, not Catholic.

Really? I’ve been attending the LDS church for the last 57 years and have never heard this expression. The LDS view of the Godhead can be summed up by our first “Article of Faith.”

This quote was brought up in a past discussion of the topic.

Emo Phillips covered this one nicely…

Personally, I think it’s more sensible to refer to Catholics, Orthodox (both types) Christians, and Episcopalians as “Catholic”, though that would confuse others so I don’t. Both the Roman Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Communion refer to themselves as the “One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church”, and all these churches I’ve mentioned are part of the historic episcopate (even if the Roman Church dispute’s the Church of England’s claim to it) which seems like a rather important distinction from most Protestant churches. The differences in liturgy amongst Catholic, Orthodox, and Anglican churches are small compared to what you see in most Protestant churches, especially when you consider the similarities in practice between Eastern Rite Catholics and Orthodox Christians. There’s so many little churches out there that it’s hard to draw an explicit distinction between Orthodox and Catholic anyway.

Substitute the number 57 with 36 and ditto. Cite Tokyo?

Alabama’s last governor, Fob James, also made this distinction (in a news conference while defending creationism no less). “I don’t care if you [sic] a Jew, a Mooze-lum, a Catholic or a Christian, God is God.”

According to dictionary.com

Christian: One who professes belief in Jesus as Christ or follows the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus.

That usage bugs me too, and I’m not Catholic. I find that a disturbingly large number of people don’t know the term “Protestant”, so they’re stuck with “Christian” from their word bank.

When asked about whether or not a friend of mine was Catholic I rememebr answering no, but he’s the most christian person I know.

I suppose that too was incorrect in some ways. I know what I meant of course, but thinking about it now, it would seem to imply that anyone who wasnt Catholic wasnt normally Christian! :smack:

Yeah, it does sound like it could be a “Restoration Movement” or maybe Pentecostal influence.

[digression] And as someone raised in a Campbellite, “Restoration Movement,” no-creed-but-the-Bible church, I just want to say thanks so much :rolleyes: to Wikipedia for sticking the Mormons together with my folks & the Adventists in their organization of Xtian churches. The JW’s I could understand, but the LDS?! [/digression]

shrug I dunno much about how Wikipedia does things, but LDS are Restorationists (as opposed to Catholic, Protestant, reformists…) and are generally put in with SDAs, JWs, etc. as one of the ‘oddball’ denominations. IIRC, a lot of early Mormons started off as Campbellites.
I’m not sure why the Nicene Creed would be a cut-off point for so many people in deciding who ‘qualifies’ as Christian. It’s not scripture, it’s not in the Bible, why does it matter so much? Were 1st and 2nd century Christians not really Christian, since they didn’t have the creeds? I would think that the simple definition above–a follower of Christ–would be good enough. Oh well.

and

With pleasure. Reference:

(bolding mine). Staying awake during meetings? :smiley: My still Mormon Mom said that the use of this expression has been within the last few years.

My apologies, a search of the hundreds of thousands of pages of text at LDS.org revealed exactly four times the phrase “God the Holy Ghost” in official publications and speeches from Church leaders. One was 7 years ago, 1 was the one you quoted, and once 31 years ago, and once in 1890. All quotes were making the same point - that the Holy Ghost is a distinct personage in the Godhead. (There were a few other instances, but they were all reprinted quotes of the ones mentioned above.) So you are right, Tokyo, the phrase has been used. I still contend, though, that I have never heard the phrase in church or in discussions among members. Maybe I was asleep the 2 times it has been used in front of me in my lifetime.

It’s not that they don’t know the term “Protestant.” It’s that they prefer not to be called by a word which defines them only by their relationship to the Catholic church. Instead, they prefer to define themselves by their relationship (as they understand it) to their deity. Not hard to understand.

(I should add that I don’t know of anyone who gets offended at being called “Protestant.” It’s just not a word that most of them would use to describe themselves.)