She's world famous in England

Sophie Ward may be familiar to fans of the 1980s Spielberg-produced film Young Sherlock Holmes, in which she played the unfortunate love of Sherlock’s life. And she was lovely back then, too … I admit I had a bit of a girlcrush on her. Here’s a pic from a Spielberg fan site. That’s Sophie on the right.

Kylie Minogue was in the news recently due to the fact she found out she has breast cancer, went in for surgery and canceled her tour. Dannii Minogue is her sister.

One thing I’m not clear on - is Kylie Minogue any relation to Danii Minogue?

Yeah, they are sisters.

I’m surprised the OP included Kylie Minogue on the list. She was quite famous as a pop star when I was in high school. I hadn’t realised, though, that she had made a comeback.

I’m guessing that Dannii Minogue is Kylie’s sister.

Oh, just like Kylie and Dannii?

She never really went away, in Britain. She cultivated the ‘gay icon’ image very successfully, and (as pointed out) did some decent stuff such as the Nick Cave duet. She’s been a pretty consistent presence on our radios.

I notice that there are two "Minogue"s on the list. That’s a very unusual name, what are the chances?

Maybe they are related? That would be just freakish.

Didn’t Kylie and Danii Minogue sing a duet on a cover of “Rio” by Duran Duran?

I hear that they might be sisters. And Kylie is a gifted lyricist. She once penned an entire libretto that consisted solely of la la la la la la la la.

I guess this is an aspect that bolsters the OP’s premise. I think of Kylie Minogue as a relic of the bad 1980s pop, like Tiffany and Debbie Gibson and Samantha Fox. I was surprised to learn that she’s got a career and isn’t working at McDonald’s or something.

I missed that reference, but the thread title did bring to mind those VO5 commericals back in the 70’s staring Rula Lenska, alternately on stage being showered with roses and at a trendy spa with her head wrapped in a towel.

Which one is the trench?