Shock! Disgust! Omigawd! Toddlers eat anything foodlike near them!

I don’t know if it ever made it but I’ve heard of someone trying to market kibble-shaped cereal. Or was it cookies? Whatever it was, it came in a plastic bowl and had a milkbone-shaped candy on top.

My sister once poored dry dog food in to a bowl and put milk in it thinking it was cereal. She was young, and didn’t know any better. I’m not really sure if she enjoyed in though, it had to have been nasty. Otherwise, she seems ok. Except for that third eye that developed around the same time, but we don’t think it’s related.

Not to be the only one to point out the obvious here :rolleyes: , but if your so concerned about your pwecious bwabee eating a little bit of cat food THE CAT WILL STILL BE POISIONED FROM THE ROTTEN FOOD.

Unless you’re some cruel bastard that purposely poisions cats, being the devil’s pets and all :mad:

Um, no. Just because something is poisonous to animals doesn’t make it poisonous to people and vice versa-chocolate, for example, is very bad for cats and dogs, but not humans.

I suspect that the salmonella came from the CAT itself, as in the cat’s saliva got in the food in the first place.

Jesus, are you really so stupid that you think people here are feeding their pets rotten food?

AIUI, cats, like birds and most reptiles, can live symbiotically with salmonella. The incidence of salmonella in cats is much lower than in those other critters, but it’s still a possibility.

Now, my question is if one’s cat is the source of salmonella, and if it’s present in the cat’s saliva, why isn’t the cat’s fur, itself, a potential hazard for salmonella contamination? I can see that the sample will be greater with contaminated (by the cat’s saliva) food than from the cat’s fur, but they are rather compulsive groomers, so for an infected cat, shouldn’t there be a population of salmonella on it’s pelt, too - providing an excellent medium for transfer from pelt to hand to mouth, and not just with toddlers.

Cats live well with samonilla, they are born to eat raw birds after all. So a pet food company might feel they can get away with a not so sterile shipment of catfood.

My favourite quote from the whacky mom is:

Yes, can’t we just use imaginary play to be accountants or housewives? That’s much more educational “imagination”.

Well, since primaflora didn’t mention any bad effects to HER cat from the bad catfood, I was sort of assuming that the cat was fine and only the baby was sick. However, I may be wrong on that so … mildly good point (as far as it goes)
HOWEVER.

a) Actually, though I am fond of my cat, my baby’s health IS a very much higher priority to me! By a number of orders of magnitude! Surprise surprise!

b) If you want to make fun of my being more concerned about my baby’s safety than my cat’s, go right ahead, but “pwecious bwabee” makes you sound like a dick.

c)

Yeah, that’s why I have a cat, so I can POISON her! Mwa-ha-ha-ha evil cackle, you have me bang to rights there.

It’s probably not sufficiently warm or moist to support levels of salmonella that could kill a person.

My concern as a parent probably wouldn’t be about the dog food incident per se, but I would be worried that the teacher’s aide might be prone to other stupid choices. Sure most kids from that age would know not to swallow the dog food, but they don’t necessarily know not to handle sharp knives, or run with scissors, or a ton of other things they depend on guidance from adults (including that adult) for.

Good heavens - that mother would have croaked and died if she’d seen my youngest (when she was a year or so) munching down on a white, petrified dog turd she discovered in our yard :eek: It’s not a snack I would’ve fed her, but she didn’t DIE or anything :::sheesh:::

Exactly. It was only dog food this time, thankfully, but next time, who knows? The woman isn’t the brightest bulb in the drawer.

:smack:

That should be “sharpest knife in the drawer”, not “brightest bulb.”

:o

As a child, I regularly ate Milkbones with my dog. The pediatrician said it was what gave me my silky hair. :smiley: