Shoe Lace Scam

Why is it that on the rare occasions I go to buy new shoelaces, every time the size recomended on the chart on the back of the package is abysmally too small?

There’s always a little chart saying how long a pair to buy for different number of holes to be threaded through. If you do what they say you get home and find you have maybe on each side an inch at most of shoelace sticking out the last hole ; nowhere near enough to tie. Then its back to the store to buy a second package, and of course you can’t really return the first one.

Is this some sort of scam by the shoe-lace barons to double sales?

From now on I measure one of the old ones and go by that.

Good plan.

Good luck with the new plan. I did exactly that and couldn’t find shoe laces as short as the originals, so now I have laces that are (a) 6 inches longer than I need and (b) already falling apart at the ends.

I think that in today’s disposable society you’re not expected to have to buy new shoelaces - by the time the shoelaces wear out, you throw away the shoes.

I always thought they should sell do-it-yourself, heat-shrink aglet kits to put new tips on the shoelaces. Scotch tape is tacky.

Only on one side.

It’s tit-for-tat in the lace world.

They do. Look for heat shrink tubing at Radio Shack. You do have to buy a lot of them at a time though. Or try glue or clear nail polish.

Knead, if you come see me at work, I’ll measure your old laces and fit you with the correct size. :slight_smile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by needscoffee
I always thought they should sell do-it-yourself, heat-shrink aglet kits to put new tips on the shoelaces. Scotch tape is tacky.

“aglet”. that’s the word I couldn’t think of. Bring on those crossword puzzles.

Hey, that reminds me - somebody (Bob and Ray?) had a comedy routine about a guy who ran a shoelace-repair business. They went into detail on all the ‘services’ he provided (ironing, removing threads, aglet-replacement, etc. etc.) with a fee for each and if you went ‘all the way’ it cost you something like $15.

i saw an aglet repair kit at a shoe store long ago. it had rounded metal replacement tips and a crimping tool. you placed the not too badly frayed lace end into the tip, crimped and trimmed.

if the lace is synthetic you can melt the tip to keep from fraying though it doesn’t aid in feeding through two leather thickness holes.

Everything you need to know about shoelaces, and much, much more than you probably need to knowhere.

You really can find anything on the internet.