Shooting Outside U.S. Capitol

The video I’ve seen doesn’t show the reaction of an innocent and normally-functioning person who makes a wrong turn.

I don’t approve shooting crazy people either, but I can understand how they might easily have over-reacted.

You’re at the White House/Capital Hill, there’s not much room for under-reaction.

Right because as a woman, it clearly had something to do with losing a man or having a child. :rolleyes:

Sorry for offending you.

Maybe she was a Jehovah’s Witness?

OK. OK, so maybe she got dumped by her man, had a baby or lost her mind. Happy now? Sheeesh.

The wife and I were in Washington last year. We hailed a cab near the White House after dark. As we were passing the White House, the driver informed us President Obama was in Colorado that day and due back in. When we were neared an intersection by the White House, his entourage may have been on the way, not sure exactly what was happening, but all sorts of big, beefy authorities were suddenly out in the street commanding cars away. One car in particular seemed to be having a little trouble, maybe stalling out, and one BIG agent was right there on it, screaming – we could hear him clearly through closed windows – “GO!!! NOW!!! NO-O-O-O-OW!!!” I would not have wanted to cross any of these guys.

How offensive to suggest such a thing.

If you’re in an argument with your SO (a woman) and you say, “Jeez, are you on the rag or something?” it doesn’t make it any less offensive if she happens to actually have her period. Euphonious Polemic’s original quote stuck out to me, as well. If it was a guy acting crazy, would most people’s first thought be “Must have something to do with a woman”?

Well, I’m so sorry.

Occam’s razor. We had a woman driving a car, acting completely irrational. There was a one year old baby in the car. I made a guess.

I guess I’m even more sorry I was right.

I suppose I should have restricted my supposition about what happened to “Maybe she was sad because her Womyn’s Mechanical Steam Engine club had been shut down by the city council”

What pisses me of is the crap about “well, even if he was right, it was offensive to even suggest it.” Political correctness gone stupid.

And another thing…

Postpartum depression is a serious mental illness. It is something that SHOULD be fucking taken more seriously.

But I guess we should not talk about it though, because we might insult someone or offend them by implying that women might suffer from this. Christ on a crutch!

Fuck that. This isn’t the 16th century.

“. . . and I can’t get up!”

Agreed. Let them do the shooting, as tradition demands.

Wondering how it is, given the ravening attention generated by this thing, that we still know so little about her. Getting that “somebody’s hiding something” feeling. Course, I usually do…

There’s some information about her here in this NYT article about the whole event:

Her name was Miriam Carey. She lived in Connecticut and worked as a dental hygienist. She was born in Brooklyn and her family still lives there. They said she seemed fine. Her friends thought highly of her. A former employer said she had a temper problem and fired her for that reason.

I don’t think anyone knows why this happened or even why she was in DC. We may never know. Or we might, in another hour or two, when the morning editions come out. It’s only been twelve hours or so, after all.

It is in fact offensive to assume that the source of her behavior is her reproductive system - not because reproductive systems never go haywire, but because it assumes that she might not have other pressures in her life. It’s true that post-partum depression is a serious illness but it’s sexist to assume that she’s more likely to be suffering estrogen-induced post-partum depression than testosterone-induced anger management issues

Well it’s a good thing Euphonious Polemic didn’t assume any of those things then, isn’t it? Here is what he actually said:

“I’m going to guess”, not “assume”. He later listed a couple of his guesses (we can tell by the question marks). More on that soon.

“She was disturbed in some way”, not “the source of her behavior is her reproductive system.”

“Divorce trauma? Postpartum depression?” So postpartum depression wasn’t even his first guess. He didn’t assume “that she might not have other pressures in her life.”

The cops shot an unarmed woman with a child in the car. Looks like an overreaction to me. Of course they may not make the assumption that she could have been an armed psychopath if it wasn’t so fucking easy for unarmed psychopaths to get guns.

A car is a deadly weapon. You are not unarmed if you are aiming it at people.