Shooting Outside U.S. Capitol

And the answer to woodystockbirdybird’s question is yes. When a man is acting “crazy” people do tend to assume it has to do with a woman.

To quote Dougas Adams, “I’ve just had an unhappy love affair and I don’t see why anyone else should have a good time.”

To quote the less eloquent masses, “Wow, somebody’s not gettin’ any!”

The fact that she was unarmed is an argument in favor of gun control?:dubious:

Extremists on either side of the debate make it increasingly more difficult for those of us somewhere in the middle to take any of you seriously. Seriously.

Looks like Euphonious Polemic nailed it.

Probably had a swimming pool in the trunk, too.

Obviously they should have let her run over a few more officers before resorting to deadly force.

Wonder how long it’ll be before someone starts blaming this incident on antidepressant drugs and the first lawsuit gets filed.

True. If someone is threatening with a vehicle, shooting might be justified.

However, I have seen an article this morning stating that she exited the car and was shot while unarmed, and another article stating that she never exited the car and was shot inside it. So maybe she’s Schrödinger’s Perp.

Until we get a clearer picture, I’m not sure what to think. For the record, I am against shooting unarmed people, but can see the need to shoot at vehicles ramming barriers outside potential terror targets.

My case? It rests.

Fuck that, driving a car into police cars and officers at the White House and Capital will get you killed. The 16th century has nothing to do with it, it’s what I want to happen in those situations.

Secret Service and DC cops treat a threat differently when it’s in the vicinity of the WH or the Capitol building- the priority is generally “eliminate threat” rather than “apprehend perp”. This is unfortunate, but I think it’s understandable.

They don’t have strips to flatten tires? They can’t shoot tires out? They couldn’t box her in with cop cars? I still don’t think she needed to be killed.

At first I was intrigued by a woman breaking the spree shooting / terrorism glass ceiling, but it wasn’t to be. Come on gals, aim high!

In the video I saw, I’m not sure when they would’ve had an opportunity to deploy spike strips. It escalated very quickly and she was all over the place— not a exactly Vanishing Point scenario where they have plenty of time to line up bulldozers in her path.

That said, I haven’t seen any video (if it exists) of the moment where she was shot, so like Sailboat, I’m still undecided on what to think. Leaning toward “highly unfortunate but justified” pending evidence to the contrary.

You’re right. It’s 2013, a time when every idiot with an agenda is looking for his 15 minutes of fame.

It’s different when next to the White House and the Capitol. This is probably how it should be.

And if she detonated a bomb while trying to get closer to the Capital? In many situations the police don’t have the luxury of hoping for a best case scenario. In these cases you neutralize the threat first, and boxing in the car doesn’t really do that.

Once you pass a certain threshold, shoot first and ask questions later is the appropriate response. It’s unfortunate for someone with mental illness (and her child) but that’s the reality of the situation.

I think it’s very insensitive of you to use the phrase “nailed it” in a discussion about a woman with post-partum depression.

:smiley:

I’m offended by your use of a smiley face with big teeth.

It discriminates against the dentally challenged.

Next time anything like this is in the news, I’ll make a comprehensive list of 23 guesses, so that will make you feel better.

I’m sorry for putting all the clues together and coming up with a correct guess.

I thought that was the rodent smiley.

She was, apparently, also suffering from schizophrenia. She’d believed Obama had been stalking her for almost a year.

Postpartum depression and schizophrenia. As if one weren’t bad enough.