Shotenfreude about Ohtani

So, baseball’s biggest star and the prize free agent of the Dodgers just got busted wiring $4.5 million to an illegal bookie, presumably to cover his losses.

Initially, the explanation was that he gave the money to his interpreter to cover his (the interpreter’s) gambling debts. Then someone pointed out that that story still involved Ohtani breaking laws and MLB rules, so suddenly Ohtani’s story changed. Actually, he had no knowledge at all that his interpreter and close personal friend had a gambling problem, and the interpreter stole the money from him and wired it from his personal account without his knowledge or permission. Naturally, Ohtani promptly reported this to the relevant legal authorities…oh, no, turns out he never actually reported it to anyone.

Anybody here find Ohtani remotely credible? I look forward gleefully to a summer of exploding scandal, ideally culminating in a lifetime ban.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am a Giants fan, how did you guess? :grin:

I am also a Giants fan and wish that no good befalls the Dodgers, who every year amass the best team money can buy. Having said that, how does one say “stop talking and lawyer up” in Japanese?

By any chance, did you mean schadenfreude?

Yeah, but his first name is Shohei. I guess the pun would have been funnier if I had mentioned his first name in the post. :slightly_frowning_face:

Ah, sorry, I missed the pun. My mistake. I’ll change my link so it is less obtrusive.

Not familiar with Japanese sports culture but I’m wondering if Ohtani thought this sort of thing was okay in Japan so he figured it was no big deal in America.

Regardless, though, $4.5 million is a lot. How much do you have to value a friendship with your interpreter that you pay THAT much for him out of pocket?

Is he going to get a Pete Rose type ban for life?

If only I had a word to describe the enjoyment I’m feeling here.

Nothing has been proven yet and was he betting on baseball?
Because the lifetime ban would require that he was betting on baseball as far as I know.

But if he was doing something illegal, it could be grounds for a lesser punishment and could break his contract.

A related question: why would bookies allow an interpreter to run up a $4.5 million debt?

Yeah, this is going to get ugly. Twitter sleuths are already speculating that he was throwing games.

(Of course, they offer absolutely no corroboration for how they know these supposed bets were placed).

Interestingly, Pete Rose had this to say about the situation:

Well back in the ’70s and ’80s, I wish I’d have had an interpreter. I’d be scot-free.

Presumably because he name-dropped the billion dollar man.

I have a harder time believing this one. 1) Ohtani wasn’t lacking for money, he knew he’d be in for a massive payday with his second contract someday and 2) Ohtani certainly seemed like someone who wanted to win. If the Angels were losing, it’s because they sucked as a team. I mean, Ohtani was performing great feats of pitching and batting.

As do I. But the speculation is going to be relentless.

This is the interpreter’s changing story you are relating. The AP reports that everyone involved has consistently claimed Ohtani does not bet on sports. Monday, Ohtani said he has never knowingly paid a bookie but that was after the interpreter’s change of story to ESPN.

~Max

Here’s a timeline on espn.com. Ohtani’s spokesman initially admitted Ohtani had given Mizuhara money to pay debts, and quoted Ohtani as saying “Yes, I sent several large payments”. In this version, though, Ohtani didn’t know the money was going to gambling debts, and didn’t ask. Hey, when a friend asks you for $4.5 million, you don’t ask questions, right? The current story is that that now-ex “spokesman” was communicating with Ohtani exclusively through Mizuhara’s interpretation, and Mizuhara was feeding him lies. I guess it never occurred to Ohtani that maybe it might be appropriate to use a different interpreter for that job?

But yes, all versions of the story agree that Ohtani himself didn’t place any bets.

This interpreter has also apparently lied about where he went to college and having worked for the Red Sox and Yankees. I won’t be surprised if we next see him in New York running for Congress.

I think that joke was made in the Spring Training thread in fact. Nope, the hotstove thread.

By most accounts it seems he was a trusted friend who had been with him inseparably since 2018. Getting ripped off by an addict friend (and I gotta assume Mizuhara is a gambling addict to wrack up that scale of debt) who you foolishly trusted is a pretty bog standard experience - the only difference here is one of scale.

Mizuhara may even be a pretty nice guy in general (or not, could be he is just a cynical grifter). But if there is one universal truism it is that you can never fully trust even the most sincere, genuinely nice addict because far too often the addiction can and will override every bit of decency. Addict’s may not consciously lie, but their addiction can make liars out of them.