Should (and would) the West intervene if the Pyramids were in danger?

How reliable is this report anyway? The idea that this would have any support beton a handful of people seems ridiculous. This looks like the tripe that the Tea Party puts out. More fear-mongering about the Muslim Menace.

It’s from the Tea Party’s official news mag: The Assyrian International News Agency.

The article seems to have come from Frontpage magazine, which is run by David Horowitz. So not exactly tea party, but close.

The OP’s cite has a whiff of the paranoid. Muslims lack nationalism? Really? :rolleyes:

How are you getting that? From the first sentence in the link in the OP:

The follow-up: “Jews to report to Egypt to resume pyramid-building duties”.

Oh wait, that was the Onion. :smiley:

A couple of bunker busters and you’d shatter the interior space, if nothing else…and create a hell of a mess. I think you could basically destroy the pyramids with bombs if you really wanted to…though it would probably be easier to just use conventional explosives (even better would be to use magical nano-thermite, since it can do anything) and regular earth moving equipment.

Wonder what the contract would pay to demolish the pyramids…

-XT

I mean the actual article came from Frontpage. Its linked at the bottom.

This article is the first time i’ve ever heard the allegation that Muslims destroyed the Library of Alexandria (which i’m pretty sure happened a couple hundred years before there was any such thing as Islam) or “de-nosed” the Sphinx with cannon fire (which i’m pretty sure was the victim of natural erosion). I’m not sure the “let’s blow up the pyramids” people quoted in this article are any more well-known in the Muslim world than any random Tom or Dick or Abdullah, and I doubt they have much pull in the new government.

It would be pretty rough on the sandstone.

I believe our gig was after they were built…or maybe before… :slight_smile:

TheGreat Pyramidis made chiefly of limestone.

You know, it strikes me this might not be the easiest war to win. We attack, they bomb pyramids, now why are we there?

Where are Islamic extremists going to get bunker-buster bombs?

I’m assuming it would be the Egyptian government…they are a nation state, so they would have access to something along those lines, or could buy or fabricate them if they really wanted to. If we are just talking about terrorists, then no…I’m not seeing them being able to destroy all the various Egyptian ‘pagan’ temples, pyramids and such.

-XT

Islamists are currently destroying Timbuktu’s mausoleums (or already have finished destroying them) and I don’t see any foreign army there. And they aren’t even a rightful government, just rebels.

The Muslims are at it again!

In a related story that’s all too depressingly real, an Islamic group that has taken control of northern Mali is showing its displeasure with the West by…wait for it…destroying Muslim tombs at an ancient mosque:

They ain’t the pyramids, but Jeez Louise, where are their fucking brains?

You know, I’m not one for cultural relativism, but I don’t usually get too worked up about the horrific things the Taliban does to women, etc. I hate it, and hate them for it, but it doesn’t ping my outrage on a constant basis.

The thought of them destroying the Pyramids…well, fuck them. Hard. In the face with a nuke. I don’t know exactly why this makes me so extremely angry, but I’m really pissed off that this would even be considered. I mean, it was obvious that they were total jackholes, but this blows my mind. The Pyramids may be located in Crazy Town in an accident of history, but I truly believe that they belong to humans as a whole.

I would fully support even military intervention and bloody murder to prevent this. I hope that attention is being paid to the actions of the radicals in relation to these statements, and something is done swiftly if it is discovered that destruction is in the works.

We’ll be damned if we let a johnny-come-lately group of religious zealots destroy our human heritage.

The Pyramids belong to Egypt; the civilization that created them has gone wholly extinct, and the Egyptian government and people own the soil on which they sit. National determination is a bitch, sometimes, and I think there are no compelling reasons to ever do this, but if the locals can think of one and broadly accept it, then - shit, go for it. It’s your property, you can do what you like with it.

Which is all well and good in an abstract sense, but in terms of real estate they’re the property of the Egyptian government, and “humans as a whole” possess no means by which to compel them to do or not do anything with them. In the unlikely hypothetical that Cairo decides to drop tactical nukes on some old stone landmarks right outside its own front door, what would you have the international community do? Start a war to defend the tombs of some 4,000-year-old kings? Slap sanctions on a country that nobody will want to visit anyway because it’s now radioactive and has no pyramids? Demand that they build new pyramids? There’s not much the international community can do besides send a firm but polite letter asking them please to make nice with the old landmarks.

In the end, the new Egyptian government may be further to the right than its predecessor, but they’ve got enough issues on their plate to make “destroying the pyramids” a low priority, and they’re surely savvy enough of their value as national symbols and sources of tourist revenue that the idea would never fly with the general public even if radical Islamists took power.