Should Columbus Day remain a holiday?

All these Star Trak fans and no one has suggested First Contact Day?

Since Columbus and his actions are centuries in the past the question is, is there any current reason for us to mark or commemorate Columbus day?

I say no.

Columbus did NOT:[ul]
[li]prove the Earth was round[/li][li]boldly go where no one had gone before: there was a previous explorer (can’t find cite, sorry) who took a ship out into the Atlantic searching for new lands. He never came back. If a hurricane had descended on Columbus’ little flotilla, we might never have heard of him either.[/li][li]realize he had discovered an entire “New World”.[/li][li]explore or colonize North America[/li][li]introduce English-speaking people to the New World.[/li][li]have anything to do with establishing democracy, religiious freedom or human rights.[/ul][/li]
Columbus might be culturally much more relevant to Latin America and Italian-Americans; to us Anglos, forget it. And finally, we have too damn many government-and-bank-only holidays. If it ain’t worth giving me the day off, it ain’t worth commemorating.

My major problem with the credits to Columbus is addition to the ones mentioned is that he never even saw or set foot on the North American mainland. He explored islands like the Bahamas and the Virgin Islands. I go on vacation to the Virgin Islands too and you don’t see a holiday for me.

We could change the name to “Canadian Thanksgiving”.

The European colonization of the Americas was, for good or bad, a major event which changed world history. It was a direct result of Columbus’ voyages, even if not their original intention. Nor was Columbus some random guy off the street who happened to be in the wrong place at the right time; he was the primary advocate for a trans-Atlantic voyage at a time when most explorers were heading south to find better routes around Africa. And his maritime experience was a major factor in the success of the voyages.

We’ve gone from the 1950 rosy picture of Columbus to understanding his full character–which included actually killing some people. I will agree that he did some great things, but he also did some bad things.

I don’t think we need a holidy in his honor.

Yeah, but that’s April 5th. We need something for October.

Doesn’t that Jesus guy have two?

Technically, there is only one religious federal holiday – Christmas. (Easter is always a Sunday, and most people have off on Sundays.) Contrary to popular belief, Good Friday is not a federal holiday (although many government employees do get the day off).

Here is a list of US post office holidays – these are all the federal holidays.

Well, it’s too late, we got one, and the Congress is no more going to rescind it than they’re going to take “under God” out of the Pledge of Allegiance.

I’m for the “making it an Italian version of St. Patrick’s Day,” which is what it already is, really. Very few people think literal “St. Patrick,” they think, “Irish.” And Columbus Day has long since become “Italian Day.”

That way, we could leave that genocidal bitch Queen Isabella out of it, too . . .

I never thought of Columbus Day as “Italian Day”, nor most I have known. Instead it is more honoring an interprid explorer. And, as most American’s are of European descent, Columbus was the key figure that caused immigration to the US. It is just the bad aspects of Columbus have been whitewashed. And it was just an accident for him he found the Americas. His goal was a trade route with the Far East. Thing just didn’t go as he expected.

Au contraire. Columbus was a bloodthirsty ruler to the native population of Hispaniola; between him and his son, the entire native population was enslaved and/or wiped out is less than 100 years. The methods he used to bring the natives in line were incredibly barbaric, even for the time. I don’t think it’s at all a stretch to say that he set a horrific precent for the treatment of the natives peoples of the new world.

There was no unification. Columbus brought exploitation, disease, slavery, and genocide. His own writings testify as the brutal nature of his conquest.

From here.

From here.

Both of those essays are worth reading in their entirety. You’ll never look at Columbus Day the same way again.

You think Columbus isn’t relevant for the people of the United States? let’s put it in simple terms if it weren’t for that fatefull voyage of 1492 none of our countries would exist today in it’s present form. Leif Ericson left no mark in our continent.
Eve: “Italian Day”? Italy didn’t pay the bill, therefore they dont’t diserve a celebration… and that bitch Isabella pawned her jewels to finance the entire operation, she diserves some credit.

Holidays celebrate people who accomplished something momentous, not people known for their sensitive, sharing.caring ways. We don’t celebrate the Feast of St. Francis of Asissi, or Rachel Carson Day.

Men who accomplish important things–Washington, Lincoln, Columbus, FDR if he ever gets the nod–get blood on their hands doing it, and this has only been an issue within the last 40 years or so.

We don’t celebrate Columbus because he was a brutal bastard; Cortez and Pizzaro would get a whole week if that were the criterion. Columbus achieved something unprecedented, and like the man or not, that rates a celebration.

We’re not talking about the Dominican Republic; we’re talking about the United States. As others have pointed out, Columbus never set foot in any territory that is now part of the US; how could he have killed anyone here?

Columbus didn’t set any precedents; the native American people knew about and practiced exploitation, disease, slavery, and genocide for centuries before any Europeans showed up.

I think it should be a holiday in Australia too - Peter Falk was fantastic.

I think it’s a New York/East Coast thing. I never knew it was considered a celebration of Italian-American heritage growing up, but in some parts it is. Check out Monday’s Columbus Day parade in New York. Italian-Americans are the ones who get offended if you suggest that Columbus is not worthy of veneration. I agree with you - Columbus’s voyage had nothing to do with Italy, and even less to do with Italian-Americans.