Should I care if Play-Doh freezes?

Included in my shopping was some Play-Doh for me niece. I was going to let it float around my truck till I go around to wrapping it. It is below freezing however. It’ll certainly have time to thaw before she receives it.

Just wanted to check if freezing causes permanent damage to it.

Sounds like an experiment is in order!

Here’s Yahoo’s answer: Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

Ordinarily I wouldn’t trust those people, but when the answer can be found using anecdotes, they usually aren’t wrong. If some of them have problems, then I would say it’s probably not a good idea, even if you can recover it using water.

My experience with Play Doh recovery is that it’s never as good as when you first got it.

This is a WAG, but I’d figure since Play-Doh has coloring, and frozen stuff when it thaws usually shows condensation, that the thawed out Doh would be somewhat of a drippy, colored mess. You COULD roll it around on a pad of paper towels and try to absorb the wetness, but it doesn’t seem like that would be one of Life’s Enjoyable Experiences.
~VOW

Play Doh is really dough, made of flour, water, salt and a bit of kerosene. I don’t see how freezing it would be any more harmful than freezing any other kind of dough.

To VernWinterbottom:

The recipe I’ve used for Play-Doh is water, salt, flour and vegetable oil. The commercial Play-Doh is advertised as non-toxic, and I’d think that kerosene would make it toxic.
~VOW

Hasbro says it’s “primarily” flour, salt and water. The kerosene I read about either from Cecil or one of his competitors in the “Big Secrets” genre. It’s a small amount, to prevent mold, and it gives Play Doh its unique smell, from what I recall.

A website that published a history of Play-Doh states, “However, it is known to contain, among other things, wheat flour, water, salt, and some sort of petroleum distillate.” History of Play-Doh

You can Google Play-Doh and kerosene for more cites.