Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Thank you for the offer, Saint Cad. Sometimes just articulating what one is thinking out loud helps one understand it better.

Much of HR is similiar wherever you go, but there are specialties and different environments. Technically, HR in a health care setting is dealing with the same laws and gov regs as HR in manufacturing, to grab an example. But HR in manufacturing generally has a bargaining unit presence, less of a customer service orientation, less liability considerations, more safety issues (although not always), downturn staffing (up and down), etc. Manufacturing is governed by a BOD and profit/loss is tied to stocks. Healthcare is generally largely government funded and run (again, not always) and often involves a large fund-raising element, public interface is a major initiative.

Anyway, I could go on all night. That’s just a few of the differences. The point is mostly that you are hiring and administering a very different kind of staff under a very different cultural and financial environment.

While I agree with this, it’s worth noting that if you can’t get another comparable job, will you still have the things and ability to enjoy what you do now? Or will you be forced to scrape by? At sixty may not be easy to get another job and you could wind up up without another comparable job ever.

Is it feasible for you to consider staying on in Denver until your company withdraws and then taking an early retirement?

A very similar thing happened to someone I know w/r/t relocation, closing the Denver office, etc. They were not sending her to another country but to a Rust Belt city…I think Cleveland but I could be wrong. The gist of it was “take this offer or look for another job” and, while it’s true that employment is at will, nobody can really force you to sell your house & move out of state and all that. Her family is all here plus she is bilingual and uses it in her job (in Denver). It’s probably a more valuable skill in Denver than in the Rust Belt, should the job in the new place go pear-shaped.

She decided to refuse the offer and just let them get rid of her. And lo and behold they did not fire her and they did not close the Denver office (at least within the time frame, I guess it could still happen). But if they had fired her she could have gotten unemployment, at the least, and the company policy is to pay severance commensurate with time at the company she she would have gotten a good deal there, too. They are still talking about shutting down the office, and they have reduced the work force but five years in, they are still there and so is she.

Also w/r/t the dogs, is there a compulsory quarantine period for Canada like there is for, say, England or New Zealand? Because that would be a deal breaker right there for any of my pets.

You’ll be 61 by the time the local office closes - any chance you might be in a position to retire at that point? If you have a chance to do any kind of part-time / consulting work, you might be able to make that work.

I don’t know Canada’s immigration laws, of course, but I’d bet there’s something like the US’s green card law where you’re not necessarily a citizen, but are allowed to stay there basically permanently.

My sense would be that there is no such quarantine. Island nations (and states, such as Hawaii) have such policies to prevent rabies being introduced into the ecosystem. When making an overland crossing is trivial for a wild animal, a quarantine for domesticated critters wouldn’t do much to achieve that goal.

I see the “at 60” side of the argument much differently. How many more times will you be able to move to a new place?

In HR you know the best way to negotiate for a good relocation package, how to find the best properties for new transfers; you have a potential tenant; if it’s not fun, you’ll only have to stick it out 3 - 5 years before retiring; and you can probably drag things out so you can enjoy your nest for a bit.

The dogs will be a problem, but you’ll find a way, because you love the.

I say, go for it.

True. But a large metro area like Denver increases the likelihood of finding something comparable, and it is the OP’ s “home”.

Also, the OP could make the move and still be laid-off. Is the risk and hassle worth the potential payoff?

The dogs will be the **easy **part.
And no, there is no quarantine period. At least for dogs who have had required shots. We’ve taken our dogs with us into Canada for vacations.

Then it seems to me that you are qualified for most HR positions. In fact overqualified since you’ve dealt with OSHA, CBA/unions, etc. How hard would it be for you to transfer those skills to the equivalent HIPPA skills (i.e. deal with gov’t regs and specialized laws)?

If you can take an early retirement, I’d do that, quite frankly.