Should I Stay or Should I Go?

I just learned through the company grapevine that I may be asked to transfer to our company’s Canadian headquarters sometime after the first of the year. It would be a slight promotion, but mostly a lateral one. I would be paid relocation and reimbursed for all the expenses involved in moving to another country. I don’t know how long you can ‘guest work’ in Canada, but it raises the possiblity that in order to keep my job, I might have to become a Canadian citizen at some point. (I’m currently an American).

Here are the cons: I will be 60 next spring, I own my home here free and clear (no mortgage), I have 3 large dogs that would have to relocate with me so I’d need to have a certain kind of property in order to keep them (ie no apartments). My friends are here. My family is close. The raise I’d receive would be mostly on paper (USD to CAD).

But: I have also heard that they are planning to close the office I’m currently based out of in 2017, so if I stay, I’ll need to find both a new job and a new company.

What to do, what to do? Would appreciate some input to help me wrestle with this issue.

Renting your house will be some hassle but if you find a decent tenant possibly no huge deal. Canada can be quite expensive re housing. Decent new job prospects for 60 year old people are pretty slim in many cases unless you’ve got some hugely specialized skillset that’s up to date. If you are making a good salary I’d take the deal. It really depends on how bad you need the income and if you could replace your required lifestyle cash flow locally.

I might still go just for the adventure. It’s Canada!

Ask Mick and Joe.

I think this hinges on how easy you think it will be to find a new job.

Where? British Columbia is beautiful!

Yeah, knowing where you’re relocating to would really be helpful information. Canada is a big country, with a lot of different environments. It’s hard to offer advice not knowing this detail.

If you go will there be trouble? If you stay will it be double?

IMHO no job is worth giving up the things you currently have, enjoy, and appreciate. Schlepping all over the place is a young man’s game.

Yup - lol - that’s exactly why I chose the thread title.

Thanks for the input everyone. As to location, the company headquarters are in Calgary, Alberta. Calgary is ok. I’ve been up there numerous times. It’s close enough to Banff that I wouldn’t miss the mountains, and Banff is pretty spectacular. Calgary itself is improving from what it was just a few years ago when it was a drug and murder center for the area.

There’s Canadian health care to consider as I have rheumatoid arthritis and I have heard that their health care, although inexpensive, can be problematic.

There are jobs to be had here in Denver right now, but probably not too easy to obtain a walk-in position at my current level at my current pay and at my age. My background is in manufacturing HR and it’s a shrinking pool of companies with the oil industry contractions.

I’m planning on exploring what might be available in the MJ industry. I was entertaining the idea of establishing an employment agency for the industry for a while, but got beat to the punch. Now there are several. I see a need for HR professionals in this growing industry, but just not sure what kind of money they are willing to pay. These are primarily small start-up companies and may not want to shell out big dollars for a seasoned manager.

I have a possible renter for my Denver house, should it come to that. That would probably be enough to keep the prop taxes paid and maintenance done. But heck, I only just finished fixing up my little empty-nest-widow’s house just the way I wanted it and haven’t had the chance to enjoy it in all its refurbished newness yet.

Renting in Calgary would be possible, but…the dogs.

I think that’s about all I can add at this point.

Thanks again for the input. I knew there would be aspects I’d forget without additional mental assistance.

I think the most important questions involve what your longer-term retirement plans are? Can you just go to Canada for a few years and then come back to Colorado to retire at 65 or are you looking at a decade (or more)?

If it is just a few years, I would take the position in Canada just to finish off your career with little drama. It is more complicated if it is longer than a few years. Of course, it is always possible that you might stumble across a great job at home but I wouldn’t bet on that.

If you currently have no housing costs, other than taxes, insurance and maintenance, is seems you would need quite a large salary bump to make up for your housing costs in Calgary.

If it were me I wouldn’t want to leave my family, newly remodeled house, and familiar surroundings at 60 years old, just to pay more money to live in Canada all by myself.

I would be getting my resume updated, and looking for something else where I currently live.

^ This.

SOBS, I recently did somewhat the same thing with my 2 large dogs.
Moved to the Dallas suburbs from 10 acres in the woods of N. Idaho.
Did it for my wife’s career track. It was… OK. I am almost your age and moving is a bit of a PIA. Made new friends pretty easily and it is fun to explore a new area.
We didn’t sell our house and came back after almost 2 years, which was pretty much the plan. It was somewhat expensive having two places.

The dogs did fine. We rented a house across the street from a very large park. The internet makes this a piece of cake these days.

At 60 YO I would be hesitant to do this… maybe. Do it if you want to, otherwise no.

Instead of the time and expense of moving, look for a new job at your leisure.

Thanks again to all you good folks with level-headed advice.

I’m no stranger to moving out of the country for work. Hubby and I worked for oil companies for 20 years and they send you all over the world. But that was when I was in my 20s and 30s. A little different now.

I’m definitely going to look locally and see what comes up. In fact, that’s what I’m doing today, brushing up the resume and sending it around. I was planning to retire from this company, but if that’s not to be, it won’t be the worst thing in the world. I can hold on financially without working until 65 if need be, but I’d be bored spitless. I like working and I’m way too competitive to enjoy much volunteering. On the other hand, I am getting tired just thinking of starting over somewhere new and having to prove myself once again. This I KNOW is a function of my age.

Blech - why can’t life ever be simple?

I was going to jump in with some advice, but it looks like you are making the right choice. At your age, a major change is not really something you want to deal with.
Stay put and good luck.

1. If you’re thinking about living in Canada permanently, be sure you are medically admissible. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/medic/admiss/excessive.asp

2. Also keep in mind that although health care coverage will be available to while you have a work permit, once you no longer have a work permit you will lose your coverage unless you become a permanent resident or citizen (see 1).

You can become a dual citizen with Canada. You will not lose your American citizenship, unless you take deliberate, specific steps to renounce your citizenship. I am assuming you are a native born American.

Muffin and Duckster, thank you so much for the Canada-specific information. I admit that this is a grey area for me, I simply don’t have much knowledge of what is involved as we have a mobility department that handles all the details for country-to-country moves.

If you decide you like us (we’re nice!) you could apply to become a citizen after you complete all the requirements, but that is certainly not a requirement to stay here. If you want to stay indefinitely becoming a permanent resident will do.

I’d go, because I looooooove moving someplace new.

How is manufacturing HR different than general HR?
Let me know if you want to meet for a beer or Turkish coffee so you have someone to just talk at about it.